Converting 10 round mags back to stock capacity

I would to preface this as I am not even considering doing this in MA under current MA regulations.

In the event in the future magazine restrictions are turned over via SCOTUS or otherwise, how difficult would converting 10 round magazines back to their standard capacity be? For example - my Canik has 10 round magazines, but they are identical to the standard 15 round magazines that come with the pistol in freer states. I ask this because if the 10 round magazines can ever be returned to their standard capacity size, I would feel better about investing in 2-3 additional magazines for my Canik versus just dealing with the 2 it came with. It's only $100, but if it the capacity ban every gets struck down every neutered mag that cannot be change to standard capacity will be more or less worthless.

If the tyrannical "Over 10 Rounds Magazine Ban" gets over turned in Massachusetts; just go buy new high capacity magazines!

You're putting too much thought into it. One can never have too many magazines OR too much ammunition!

If the tyrannical "Over 10 Rounds Magazine Ban" gets over turned in Massachusetts; just go buy new high capacity magazines!

You're putting too much thought into it. One can never have too many magazines OR too much ammunition!
The stack on the left is for my 17/34. I’ve got more loaded with defense ammo.

Mags are cheap, accumulate them a couple at a time image.jpg

I've been here for 7 years, and "in the gun world" for 25. Feel free to destroy your mags (read: money) if you want. When I spend money on something, it's not a decision I come to lightly.

I get there are some magazines that this is just an untenable solution. The amount of time and engineering involved makes it entirely not worth the hassle. My particular mags are dimensionally identical, with just some dimpling preventing the follower from retracting further down into the magazine, or just impede the loading of rounds enough to limit capacity to 10. Provided I am correct in that the only difference is the dimpling restricting movement, and the spring is the same as one you would find in a 15 round magazine, then these magazines could be converted if it was ever legal to do so with just a Dremel or a drill press. But I've never done it before, and 90% confidence is not enough for me to move forward and do it.
I'll take you at your word that you've been in the gun world for 25 years. You should be smart enough to know that if any infringement was reversed by any court, the cost of a few limited capacity magazines will be a rounding error of a rounding error of what you will be spending on new gear. You should also be equally smart to know that if you're waiting for any court, you're going to be waiting a long time.

If you could buy 15 round mags brand new for $35, exactly how much would 10 round magazines that are exactly the same dimensionally be worth? I'd hazard not much.

Is this the case with all "cripple" mags?
You are the only one that gives a sh*t about that.

Are you buying the mags as future investment or to train today?

I have a sh*t ton of 10 round mags. Do you know how many seconds I spend thinking about their future worth if MA ever removes mag capacity limits? ... exactly ZERO seconds.

I’m actually starting to enjoy OP’s threads. They’re all completely serious yet comical at the same time. That’s a rare talent.
I am debating if he gets the Bronze or Silver medal for mental gymnastics.

The gold goes to the dude that wanted a gun that currently was something like $600 (can't remember exact prices), but he thought it would come down to $500, so he bought a $400 gun thinking he would be able to sell it for $350 and buy the other gun at $500.

What was his SN?

Edit: T-UNIT is the current mental gymnastics Olympic champion.

Last edited:
You're new to the gun world.
He has been on here since 2016......... He does not appear to be "new to the gun world".

It could be awhile before the mag ban is lifted in MA. Are there any pre-bans that will work, any interchangeability???

I know it sucks paying the high prices, but if there is something available that might be your best bet.

Canik Fanatik might be a good place to poke around.

I am debating if he gets the Bronze or Silver star for mental gymnastics.

The gold goes to the dude that wanted a gun that currently was something like $600 (can't remember exact prices), but he thought it would come down to $500, so he bought a $400 gun thinking he would be able to sell it for $350 and buy the other gun at $500.

What was his SN?

You are my hero. That was gold.

My prices weren't too far off.

So if you can plug a shot gun to only accept 3 shells for water fowel. Then pull the plug outside of the season. Why not be able to convert a high capacity back to a high capacity?

I am debating if he gets the Bronze or Silver star for mental gymnastics.

What was his SN?

Edit: T-UNIT is the current mental gymnastics Olympic champion.
which one is your alt? 🕵️‍♂️🤔

So if you can plug a shot gun to only accept 3 shells for water fowel. Then pull the plug outside of the season. Why not be able to convert a high capacity back to a high capacity?
Maybe because the mag wasn't designed that way? ... or maybe the manufacturer blocked it in such a way that it is hard to remove, making it not worth it.

The 365, I was told a block or whatever can be removed to make them standard capacity again.

Uh dude one does not simply look at something when the entire internet is available
I took them apart, and they appear to be the same. I am unfamiliar with pistols beyond basic field stripping, so I THINK I know what I am seeing, but I don't KNOW I know what I am seeing.

You are the only one that gives a sh*t about that.

Are you buying the mags as future investment or to train today?

I have a sh*t ton of 10 round mags. Do you know how many seconds I spend thinking about their future worth if MA ever removes mag capacity limits? ... exactly ZERO seconds.

That's great broc, but I am just starting out, and I am starting from scratch. Gun, mags, ammo, ear protection, range bags, range membership. it adds up, and it adds up fast. If financial concerns are of no concern to you, I am happy for you. But I have to skinflint, otherwise I'm going to be the proverbial guy using airsoft parts to finish a build.

That's great broc, but I am just starting out, and I am starting from scratch. Gun, mags, ammo, ear protection, range bags, range membership. it adds up, and it adds up fast. If financial concerns are of no concern to you, I am happy for you. But I have to skinflint, otherwise I'm going to be the proverbial guy using airsoft parts to finish a build.
I am not some millionaire throwing money around. But there are certain things that are not worth the time or effort. This is one of them.

I think you might have mentioned you have 2 mags. Buy 2 more and enjoy the gun. IF, and is a big IF, MA ever gets rid of mag capacity limits, then you can buy more mags. It is not a huge investment.

The way MA works, I would not expect anything to change in 2023, 2024, 2025 ... I would not expect anything to change this decade.

Just keep them for Steel Challenge.

No sense dicking around trying to convert them. Do you want to risk a magazine failure?

I've never had any real interest in SCSA, USPSA, or any competitive shooting. Gotta learn to crawl before I walk. A magazine failure, in this specific case, I do not believe would be a risk.

If its only the dimples you could just drill them out and go back to 99% normal.

Way too much kvetching over a 35 dollar mag. if you kill one in the process, who gives a shit? you'll make much larger financial mistakes with
guns... and if you havent, youve been very lucky. [rofl]
Ive accidentally bubbad a couple. Changed out the mini-14 rear site and put a bigger hole by accident. Had to re-thread it (sold it a while back with full disclosure).

Installed a new back strap on my beater 1911. Bubba F’ed the sear and scratched the crap out of the pistol grip in the process. Still got this pistol. You live and learn!

I am not some millionaire throwing money around. But there are certain things that are not worth the time or effort. This is one of them.

I think you might have mentioned you have 2 mags. Buy 2 more and enjoy the gun. IF, and is a big IF, MA ever gets rid of mag capacity limits, then you can buy more mags. It is not a huge investment.

The way MA works, I would not expect anything to change in 2023, 2024, 2025 ... I would not expect anything to change this decade.

I get that. But what I have is a brain that doesn't shut off and goes over things like this constantly. Incessantly. Obsessively. I'll probably just buy 2 mags and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom