Converting 10 round mags back to stock capacity

Agnotology

NES Member
I would to preface this as I am not even considering doing this in MA under current MA regulations.

In the event in the future magazine restrictions are turned over via SCOTUS or otherwise, how difficult would converting 10 round magazines back to their standard capacity be? For example - my Canik has 10 round magazines, but they are identical to the standard 15 round magazines that come with the pistol in freer states. I ask this because if the 10 round magazines can ever be returned to their standard capacity size, I would feel better about investing in 2-3 additional magazines for my Canik versus just dealing with the 2 it came with. It's only $100, but if it the capacity ban every gets struck down every neutered mag that cannot be change to standard capacity will be more or less worthless.

I would to preface this as I am not even considering doing this in MA under current MA regulations.

In the event in the future magazine restrictions are turned over via SCOTUS or otherwise, how difficult would converting 10 round magazines back to their standard capacity be? For example - my Canik has 10 round magazines, but they are identical to the standard 15 round magazines that come with the pistol in freer states. I ask this because if the 10 round magazines can ever be returned to their standard capacity size, I would feel better about investing in 2-3 additional magazines for my Canik versus just dealing with the 2 it came with. It's only $100, but if it the capacity ban every gets struck down every neutered mag that cannot be change to standard capacity will be more or less worthless.

Worthless? lol thats a little huge

IMO just buy new mags at that point, trying to unf*** a crippled mag is a waste of time, unless its something you did with a mag blocker or something.

Worthless? lol thats a little huge

IMO just buy new mags at that point, trying to unf*** a crippled mag is a waste of time, unless its something you did with a mag blocker or something.

If you could buy 15 round mags brand new for $35, exactly how much would 10 round magazines that are exactly the same dimensionally be worth? I'd hazard not much.

Is this the case with all "cripple" mags?

If you could buy 15 round mags brand new for $35, exactly how much would 10 round magazines that are exactly the same dimensionally be worth? I'd hazard not much.

Just keep them for Steel Challenge.

No sense dicking around trying to convert them. Do you want to risk a magazine failure?

In the event in the future magazine restrictions are turned over via SCOTUS
You're new to the gun world. First off, welcome! Here comes a bit of a downer: there have been many attempts to overturn AWB and other laws that restrict our rights. Some succeeded in getting overturned. Most have failed for one reason or another. Point is, as a gun owner, one learns that the fight to get our rights is a lifelong journey. So, if you want to shoot, get 10 round mags. When we become free from the infringements, then we will all go and buy standard magazines. Heck, I plan to have a "10-rounder destruction party" when the time comes!

I wouldnt care, I'd just use them to practice reloads or other drills that dont require high round counts. They're not "useless". Just buy more mags at that point.

ETA: like @eboos says there are gun games that are going to be stuck at 10 rds forever for some disciplines, so that is another use for them, at least.

Depending on how they are designed + manufactured, it may not be worth molesting the 10-rd restricted cap mag, or maybe even impossible. If we're talking currently mass produced, inexpensive mags, why bother tbh?

Some examples of 'not possible;' Take Beretta 92FS 10-rd mags, they're literally dimpled in 90% height wise thru the mag. They'd probably fall into 1/4ths if dropped. Some are dimpled, and you'd have to drill 2 3/8" holes in the side of the mag. When the avg price of such mags are $15... is it worth it?

P226 type, and MAGPUL Glock-type restricted cap mags are 60% the size of a normal mag, plus a plastic bottom so they match the profile of a normal one. So, kind of a laws of physics issue.

iu

Then Glock 10-rd style mags, they have two ridges inside the mag the full way of the mag so they're basically single stack. You'd need a specialized dremel attachment or some type of file to remove the ridges, probably sand it down to make it smooth enough so the follower wouldn't hang up on rough cut plastic, replace the follower with a normal capacity follower (if they even fit, IDK). That's not worth the effort on that type of mag, even assuming that it's able to function reliably, especially when normal OEM Glock mags are like $20.

Last edited:
You're new to the gun world. First off, welcome! Here comes a bit of a downer: there have been many attempts to overturn AWB and other laws that restrict our rights. Some succeeded in getting overturned. Most have failed for one reason or another. Point is, as a gun owner, one learns that the fight to get our rights is a lifelong journey. So, if you want to shoot, get 10 round mags. When we become free from the infringements, then we will all go and buy standard magazines. Heck, I plan to have a "10-rounder destruction party" when the time comes!

I've been here for 7 years, and "in the gun world" for 25. Feel free to destroy your mags (read: money) if you want. When I spend money on something, it's not a decision I come to lightly.

I get there are some magazines that this is just an untenable solution. The amount of time and engineering involved makes it entirely not worth the hassle. My particular mags are dimensionally identical, with just some dimpling preventing the follower from retracting further down into the magazine, or just impede the loading of rounds enough to limit capacity to 10. Provided I am correct in that the only difference is the dimpling restricting movement, and the spring is the same as one you would find in a 15 round magazine, then these magazines could be converted if it was ever legal to do so with just a Dremel or a drill press. But I've never done it before, and 90% confidence is not enough for me to move forward and do it.

Last edited:

The mental gymnastics.

Buy the mags now and worry about capacity later.

Or, take apart one of your mags and take a look.

Depending on how they are designed + manufactured, it may not be worth molesting the 10-rd restricted cap mag, or maybe even impossible. If we're talking currently mass produced, inexpensive mags, why bother tbh?

Some examples of 'not possible;' Take Beretta 92FS 10-rd mags, they're literally dimpled in 90% height wise thru the mag. They'd probably fall into 1/4ths if dropped. Some are dimpled, and you'd have to drill 2 3/8" holes in the side of the mag. When the avg price of such mags are $15... is it worth it?

P226 type, and MAGPUL Glock-type restricted cap mags are 60% the size of a normal mag, plus a plastic bottom so they match the profile of a normal one. So, kind of a laws of physics issue.

iu

Then Glock 10-rd style mags, they have two ridges inside the mag the full way of the mag so they're basically single stack. You'd need a specialized dremel attachment or some type of file to remove the ridges, probably sand it down to make it smooth enough so the follower wouldn't hang up on rough cut plastic, replace the follower with a normal capacity follower (if they even fit, IDK). That's not worth the effort on that type of mag, even assuming that it's able to function reliably, especially when normal OEM Glock mags are like $20.

Inexpensive is relative. I can use Canik mags, P226 mags, or Beretta 92F/M9 mags. The Beretta and p226 require slight modifications to accommodate the change in placement of the mag release. On a Beretta mag, its cutting a notch about an inch down. On a p226 mag, its extending the latch down another 1/8th of an inch. The Beretta mag will still function fine in a Beretta. The P226 mag will never work in a p226 again. $100 for 3 mags is not what I'd consider inexpensive.

Last edited:
I get there are some magazines that this is just an untenable solution. The amount of time and engineering involved makes it entirely not worth the hassle. My particular mags are dimensionally identical, with just some dimpling preventing the follower from retracting further down into the magazine, or just impede the loading of rounds enough to limit capacity to 10. Provided I am correct in that the only difference is the dimpling restricting movement, and the spring is the same as one you would find in a 15 round magazine, then these magazines could be converted if it was ever legal to do so with just a Dremel or a drill press. But I've never done it before, and 90% confidence is not enough for me to move forward and do it.

If its only the dimples you could just drill them out and go back to 99% normal.

Way too much kvetching over a 35 dollar mag. if you kill one in the process, who gives a shit? you'll make much larger financial mistakes with
guns... and if you havent, youve been very lucky. [rofl]

If its only the dimples you could just drill them out and go back to 99% normal.

Way too much kvetching over a 35 dollar mag. if you kill one in the process, who gives a shit? you'll make much larger financial mistakes with
guns... and if you havent, youve been very lucky. [rofl]

Only financial mistakes I've made with guns is selling them.

I don't know what everyone is worried about,by the time Maura and her AG are finished with their new gun rules.
We won't have any guns to put our mags into.

The best way would be using a mill to take those dimples out. Then, you would need a dremel to debur. The time you'd have wrapped up in doing it. Plus the odds it will be screwed are high. I wouldn't suggest it. Spending that $20 for something that works rather than spending hours trying to make work.

IF it happens, buy standard capacity mags and use the crippled mags for travel, limited capacity or practice.

The time and effort invested to skinflint isn’t worth it.

I live in a free state - and I’ve got std capacity mags for all of my guns. I’ve also got limited capacity for most of them do that i can travel to commie states with them.

Skinflinting 101 . Simple solution ? Move to NH .

I knew a guy that would purchase mag parts from some online mag shop then assemble them himself so he could have normal capacity mags for his handguns. I'm sure he inserted a limiter of some sort so the mag police wouldn't get him though.

I also knew of a guy that owned an m&p ar15 22lr. He would buy the 30 round mags that were made to be mass compliant, just in case the day came when he could bust off the tabs inside so it would hold more ammo. I'm sure he never broke off the tabs though. But he knew he could.

I wouldn't sweat it though. Nothing wrong with a ten round mag. How often are you yearning for more capacity at the range? Heck, I practice with two mags with three rounds in each. Two body shots one head, drop the mag, insert the new one a fast as possible and do it again.

I never understood why Maura allowed ten round mags when every reasonable person knows three rounds is all you need.

Last edited:
IF it happens, buy standard capacity mags and use the crippled mags for travel, limited capacity or practice.

The time and effort invested to skinflint isn’t worth it.

THIS. I have the bare minimum ban-compliant mags, and will either use them as practice mags (the few factory glock mags I have) or probably chuck them (the PMAG glock mags I bought before I knew better, although they do run GREAT in my PC Carbine) when I move out of here.

Use the 10's for range use. I live in FL and I still use 10 rounds for bench rest rifle, shit like that. It's not like the magazines are useless post ban.

I just did a pistol class in December that had us in a sand pit with dropping the mags a lot. I wasnt thrilled about it. Wish I had some old 10 rounders to use for that day since getting baby powder consistency dust into my magazines is sorta a pain in the ass.

Back
Top Bottom