• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Convert AR to be legal in MA?

I own an AR-15 that I keep at my parents house in ME, I bought it while I was a resident there. I would like to keep this at my house in MA which I have now been a resident for 4 years. Specifically I own this model -> MPC - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

Is it possible for me to convert this to be MA legal? And if so, what would that consist of specifically?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Legal question? Practical question?

Maura says no, you can’t do that. The law would seem to say otherwise.

Pin stock or replace with a fixed stock
Replace A2 flash hider with muzzle break and pin/weld.
Grind off bayonet lug.

No one has been prosecuted for Marua’s made up silliness, but if she wins her open law suits it could happen. You have to decide your own risk profile.

All ARs not in private hands in MA and registered before 6/20/2016 are illegal per AG
Once an assault rifle always an assault rifle per AG which says you can’t massify it to make it legal

Or you can just do what people have always done and do what I posted above and call it a day.

No one has been prosecuted for Marua’s made up silliness, but if she wins her open law suits it could happen. You have to decide your own risk profile.

All ARs not in private hands in MA and registered before 6/20/2016 are illegal per AG
Once an assault rifle always an assault rifle per AG which says you can’t massify it to make it legal

Or you can just do what people have always done and do what I posted above and call it a day.

So you are saying that regardless of her BS, people are still bringing MA compliant (pre-Maura memo) AR's into the state with no issue?

its not pre-maura because it is not in the state pre-maura. Yes, lots of people paying no attention to her guidance and doing what was always legal before she had her press conference.

Any gunsmith can make the changes needed to make it comply with the AWB. You then get to decide if you will FA10 it when you bring it into MA which you are supposed to do within 7 days. If you believe her guidance, you are registering a felony so have a 5th amendment claim that you did not need to self incriminate by registering.

No advice being given...

Any gunsmith can make the changes needed to make it comply with the AWB. You then get to decide if you will FA10 it

So basically I could have the changes done, bring it into MA without FA10'ing, use said gun on local ranges and since it would be MA compliant no ones really gonna be asking any questions because this Maura crap isn't really law yet? Thanks for your help thus far I am just now wrapping my head around all this MA AR stuff

I own an AR-15 that I keep at my parents house in ME, I bought it while I was a resident there. I would like to keep this at my house in MA which I have now been a resident for 4 years. Specifically I own this model -> MPC - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

Is it possible for me to convert this to be MA legal? And if so, what would that consist of specifically?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hi Maura!

Read the 1998 AWB law as written. As long as you don't have TWO killy features, you're good. Just weld the muzzle device and pin the adjustable stock and you're fine.

Practical question, I actually want to attempt this but if I have to worry about going to jail after doing it I won't bother.
Don’t worry about going to jail. You won’t, u won’t even be charged because u are not breaking the law and there ain’t shit Maura can do about it. Bring it here and follow the law and massify it.

So basically I could have the changes done, bring it into MA without FA10'ing, use said gun on local ranges and since it would be MA compliant no ones really gonna be asking any questions because this Maura crap isn't really law yet? Thanks for your help thus far I am just now wrapping my head around all this MA AR stuff
Yup

If you move into MA with an AR, just make sure it follows MA compliance law. Nothing has changed and you don't have to FA10 guns you legally bring into the state.

If you move into MA with an AR, just make sure it follows MA compliance law. Nothing has changed and you don't have to FA10 guns you legally bring into the state.
Maybe read MGL 140 128B. Certainly this has been interpreted to apply to guns brought into the state. 2nd offense can get you 10 years.

Compliance is a handgun thing. I assume you mean the AWB. Definition of assault weapon in MGL 140 121

And to be clear, as I said above, no advise being given. Just trying to provide what facts I can so OP can make his own decisions.

Last edited:
It’s early so maybe the caffeine hasn’t set in yet, but if I’m reading this correctly you made the changes in Maine and brought it to MA when you moved here 4 years ago correct?

Great

No this is something I am figuring out if I should do or not based on MA law and Maura, I have not actually made the changes and brought it to MA yet

If it was me and I had the option of keeping and using it there I would not bring it into MA. Hell if my parents lived out of state 95% of my guns would be at their
house.

I think it's legal if you are willing to ruin your rifle and register with an EFA-10, though... but neither of those things would be appealing to
me, particularly with the option on the table of not doing either.

-Mike

So you are saying that regardless of her BS, people are still bringing MA compliant (pre-Maura memo) AR's into the state with no issue?
Yes, as long as it follows the 1998 AWB as written. You don't see many ARs sold because DEALERS are not selling them since they're afraid to lose their FFL. However, bringing in a compliant AR from out of state if totally fine.

The logic of being low key online is undeniable, as we do live in an increasingly totalitarian state, or at the least, under a government with some increasingly strong tendencies toward totalitarianism. However true that may be, we cannot become timid about truth and speaking out to each other and in support of each other. The word patriot is becoming one which fewer and fewer people are feeling comfortable being associated with, for fear of being targeted and extorted. But the same thing has occurred throughout history because these events are never accidental, and very little of history has happened by mistake. The only way (ever so clear to posterity looking back with the benefit of hindsight) to combat this is by being willing to speak up when required, and never allowing yourselves to be censored. It is absolutely terrifying to imagine the moment we behold, which the second amendment was written to ensure. You have your arms for a reason. We are all in this together, few of us really all that different from each other once you eliminate propaganda from your lives and become able to see the system clearly for what it is. The first and second amendments go hand in hand, verses 1:1 and 1:2 you could call them, as you cannot have one without the other, despite propagandists trying to seperate the two through indoctrination in the schools and in the media.

Back
Top Bottom