• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Convert 650 or use square deal b?

nstassel

NES Member
So I have a dillon 650 that runs great turning out 9mm. It has a case feeder but no bullet feeder. I also have a square deal that is not assembled but has a complete .45 set up. I have a couple .45s I need to feed now. So my options are buy a full conversion set for the 650 or set up the SQB. What would be less hassle-assuming I would be switching back and forth if I converted the 650.

Not a blue paint guy myself, but I've often seen mention where somebody will have a SQDB dedicated to a single, high volume caliber and save the 550 or 650 for those cals that you have to occasionally switch among.

You already own the SDB, so it's no investment to set it up and load .45. The biggest hassle, but not a giant one, in changing over the 650 to reload .45 is the primer system going from small to large. Unless you shoot small-primer .45s, that is.

I think it depends on a few things. Is space a premium? I only have room for one press so I sold my 550 when I bought my 650. If I had the room I probably would have kept it. I think the biggest pain is switching the primer system from small to large on the 650. You could buy or swap for small primer 45 and use the 650, or sell the SDB and buy a complete large primer system rather than swapping the disk and insert.

I have a 650 and load, 9,357,38 special, 44 mag, 45 acp,223 etc. I have the case feeder not bullet feeder.

I have each set of dies in their own Quick Change Kit, this kit comes with it's own powder measure.

Takes about 10 minutes to swap over calibers, dies are all locked in place, fill powder measure double check powder drop and off and running.

harry

I have 2 650s because the priming system is a pain to switch out. I load pistol and rifle ammo on mine. As said earlier if you can live with loading 45 auto with small pistol primers go to the 650.

Is this the SDB I sold you?

Switching calibers on the 650 is not much trouble, if you have all the right stuff. The most efficient way is to have not only dedicated tool head for each caliber, but also the 'quick change' XL 650 Quick Change (22059): Reloading: Reloading Machine Caliber Conversion Kits at Dillon Precision that includes a powder drop that you leave on each tool head. However, switching to and from 45acp also involves a different plate for the case feeder, and the large primer stuff. Purchasing a drop in large primer setup XL 650 Large Priming System (20982): Priming Systems & Accessories at Dillon Precision will save time and hassle.

Like Mike said, bench space may or may not be a factor.

Since getting my 650 originally in 45, I have added quick-changes in 9mm 40, and 38 supercomp. I typically load 2-3000+ of a caliber before switching to another caliber. Often 2 or 3 times that much. If I were like some people and only load enough at a time for that weekends shooting, I would leave two presses setup in 2 different calibers.

The priming system is easy,it's the spring loaded primer cup that's the problem. I've yet to find a way to remove it without mangling the the bolt style flats. I have tried every type of open end wrench and there is simply no way to get one in the space provided, used a set of needle nose pliers or vice grips but eventually you'll have to replace the as the bolt like flat get chewed to pieces. When I had to get some replacement part the CS agent agreed as good as the 650 is the priming system sucks to change out

The priming system is easy,it's the spring loaded primer cup that's the problem. I've yet to find a way to remove it without mangling the the bolt style flats. I have tried every type of open end wrench and there is simply no way to get one in the space provided, used a set of needle nose pliers or vice grips but eventually you'll have to replace the as the bolt like flat get chewed to pieces. When I had to get some replacement part the CS agent agreed as good as the 650 is the priming system sucks to change out

Out of interest can you post a picture? I swap primer system all the time, for the primer seater I just lower the arm and raise the base plate to the top of the unit. No issues accessing, I swap out between large and small plus a swaging unit.

Just curious

Harry

As much as I'd like to I've never figured out how to post pictures on the site. What I can do is try to do is send a picture thru a PM a little later this morning.

I'd suggest that you use the SDB for 45.

I have 2 Square Deal-B presses and a 1050 to feed the squirt gun. I typically leave one SDB set for .45 and switch the other between different calibers. I find the SDB is simple to change primer sizes on. I can load 400 RPH on the SDB easily.

Back
Top Bottom