• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Controlling spillage when auto-indexing

I picked this up off THR and thought some of you might find it useful. It was specific to a Dillon 650, but I assume it can be applicable to any press that auto-indexes.

When the shell plate auto-indexes and 'clicks' some of the powder inside the case jerks out of the case and onto the press.

This is supposed to get rid of that jerkyness.

650bearing.jpg

bearing.jpg

To get these parts go to www.mcmaster.com
I don't think my local hardware store will have these.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" Od
5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing

Get a Hornady LnL[wink]. IIRC Eddie Coyle mentioned that one of the advantages was that it splits the auto-index into two steps (half on up stroke half on down stroke). It helps keep the powder in the case and off your shell plate.

Get a Hornady LnL[wink]. IIRC Eddie Coyle mentioned that one of the advantages was that it splits the auto-index into two steps (half on up stroke half on down stroke). It helps keep the powder in the case and off your shell plate.

Too late.

I'm sold on the Dillon already. Their service has been amazing and I have only been loading for maybe 2 months.

1. I was having some issues with cases. I called them up and they mailed me off parts no questions asked. Parts arrived 2 days later.
2. I realized I was missing parts. They sent me another complete kit no questions asked.

I don't know if I have ever experienced service where a company will never verify warranty, verify customers, hassle anyone for being stupid and breaking their product etc.

Too late.

I'm sold on the Dillon already. Their service has been amazing and I have only been loading for maybe 2 months.

I own a Dillon 550b. I think both Dillon and Hornady make great stuff. I was just being a wise ass (hence the wink) because when anyone who has problems with their Hornady people say "you should have bought a dillon". I would have bought a Hornady but they were/are near impossible to find in stock. I didn't go for the 650, not because of the increased cost of the press, but rather the increased cost of adding calibers (shell plates, tool holders are more $ for 650 than 550).

Could someone be more specific on the exact parts I would order for my Dillion 550? I have a devil of a time getting that center bolt the right level of tightness and it holding that position. It tightens up as I load and has to be reset every 100 rounds or so.

Could someone be more specific on the exact parts I would order for my Dillion 550? I have a devil of a time getting that center bolt the right level of tightness and it holding that position. It tightens up as I load and has to be reset every 100 rounds or so.

Are you tightening the brass-tipped set screw that holds it in place?

I agree the bearing would be an improvement, though...

-Mike

I put it in the original post.

I

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" Od
5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing

This looks like an awesome idea....[grin] Will have to give it a try....[smile]

I picked this up off THR and thought some of you might find it useful. It was specific to a Dillon 650, but I assume it can be applicable to any press that auto-indexes.

When the shell plate auto-indexes and 'clicks' some of the powder inside the case jerks out of the case and onto the press.

This is supposed to get rid of that jerkyness.

650bearing.jpg

bearing.jpg

I tested it for about 10 seconds.

In stock form a few sprinkles of powder jumped out of the case during normal indexing.
I slapped these on and tried it again, it was a semi-noticeable change in the way it indexed and powder was a little less likely to jump out.

I think it cost me maybe $5?

2ql74zp.jpg

2qa1ovl.jpg

(In stock form) I cleaned the shellplate and then dropped powder in 2 cases. I had a few sprinkles pictured here.
14vmf69.jpg

It's been cleaner since I put the washers in...but I don't know if it's just a mental thing and I've become a dainty bitch with the handle.

Or you could lift the shell plate and clip the spring under the ball bearing.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I hate to rain on the parade, but I see a problem. It would appear that this bearing is raising the shell plate and this won't work in a 650. If I am not mistaken, the 650 shell plate is similar to the 1050 in that the case rim is held in a recess and does not contact the platform as the cases in a 550 do. The 650 shell plate needs to be in contact with the platform to support it during the upward stroke which puts a lot of stress on it. This bearing will raise the shell plate slightly, but only support it in the center. When the platform is raised the dies (resizing and and factory crimping in particular) will put a lot of pressure on the outside of the shell plate where the cases are held. With a bearing installed in the center, there will be no support for this part of the shell plate and it will most likely bend. This bearing system works on a 550 because the cases are not contained in the shell plate and are in direct contact with the platform for support. The bearing is marketed by Unique Tek for a rather stiff price of $44.95.

My observations are based on the assumption that the 650 shell plate is the same as my 1050.

I hate to rain on the parade, but I see a problem. It would appear that this bearing is raising the shell plate and this won't work in a 650. If I am not mistaken, the 650 shell plate is similar to the 1050 in that the case rim is held in a recess and does not contact the platform as the cases in a 550 do. The 650 shell plate needs to be in contact with the platform to support it during the upward stroke which puts a lot of stress on it. This bearing will raise the shell plate slightly, but only support it in the center. When the platform is raised the dies (resizing and and factory crimping in particular) will put a lot of pressure on the outside of the shell plate where the cases are held. With a bearing installed in the center, there will be no support for this part of the shell plate and it will most likely bend. This bearing system works on a 550 because the cases are not contained in the shell plate and are in direct contact with the platform for support. The bearing is marketed by Unique Tek for a rather stiff price of $44.95.

My observations are based on the assumption that the 650 shell plate is the same as my 1050.

The bearing and washers are above the shellplate so it shouldn't change the height of anything except for the bolt that holds it down. The pic doesn't show the bearing actually "installed".

The bearing and washers are above the shellplate so it shouldn't change the height of anything except for the bolt that holds it down. The pic doesn't show the bearing actually "installed".

Now I see. I assumed that you were using the same system that Unique Tek used which places the bearing under the shell plate. This is possible on a 550 but not the 650. I have found that with the proper tecnique on the operating handle I can eliminate powder spillage on my 1050. Another option (on some machines) is to seat the bullet manually in the powder measure station. I'm not sure this will work in a 650.

PS If you are trying to eliminate all friction in the shell plate, a dry lube such as moly powder would help to between the shell plate and platform.

Back
Top Bottom