Controlling spillage from powder drop to case

76Too

NES Member
I was looking in my bullet tray last night and noticed I've been spilling powder here and there from my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. I've been using the smaller of the two powder drop inserts and have been using lite pressure upwards with my primed cases into the mouth of the drop, but am inevitably still experiencing some spillage. Is there any way to control this other than trying to wedge a giant funnel into each case prior to dropping a charge?

I know this is going to effect my chrono readings when I finally get to shoot the ammo I made, I'm just wondering by how much and if I should really just pull the bullets and reload the cases or just shoot them (obviously checking for pressure signs along the way)...none of the charges were maxed out to begin with, so if anything I'll have slightly undercharged rounds.

How much powder are we talking?
A few grains total overall or a considerable amount per case? If just a few flakes per cartridge, I would have no problem shooting them. If it is mass quantities, pull them and start over.

Anywhere from just a few grains (actual granules of powder, not weight) up to about 15-20 or so for a few round with HS6. I just don't really understand how it happened because I thought I was being careful to seat each case into the mouth at the base of the powder drop before working the lever.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironic too, because I'm so careful to check metering consistency every few rounds, but didn't check to see if all the powder was making it into each case.

I doubt you will see much in the way of variances in your strings. I would have no problem firing them all.

this has been a mystery of life with the uniflow. i run them on 2 separate hornady progressive machines and get a few granules spill each dump. i've yet to worry about it. but at the end of a mega reloading session, over 1500 rds, there is a good amount of powder accumulated around the shell plate. makes not a bit of difference if i believe my chronograph. on my 3rd measure, a redding, i use exclusively at my single stage bench for small lots and each case is just hand inserted, nothing.

the only difference is the insert slides up and down in the rcbs measures. i always figured it just never came back properly when the case was removed from the measure allowing for a little dribble. on my redding, the mouth of the dump has a one size fits all plastic tip that is permanently fixed to the measure, so no spill.

Take a look at your measure where the powder drops out into the case. I'm sure there is a place for some powder to catch and fall.
My hornady measure with the small case mouth insert would catch grains on the leading edge sometimes causing a complete bridging of powder.
I fixed it by slightly enlarging the exit hole and polishing everything smooth.
Also for me and pistol loading if the case is half or more full the powder seems to jump out with the littlest of movement...

What caliber and which insert? It does make a difference if you don't have the right combination.

I use the Hornady PTX die with the setup that came with the press. I have loaded thousands of .45 auto and don't get much if any spillage. The trick is being a smooth operator. Ripping the handle up and down is garranteed to apill some.

Back
Top Bottom