• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Contender Squirrel.

45/70. LOL

THat's a hard shot, IIRC. It's a 45LC/.410 bbl so it's got a smidge of rifling. Just enough to make the pattern donut. A buddy of mine had one and we shot hand-tossed trap with it once. Tough stuff. You almost had to try and miss to hit it.

It has a straight rifled choke in it which helps the pattern alot. I have taken multiple kinds of game with it, a lot of fun. You can see the choke in the end of the barrel in this picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
One of my favorite hunting guns.
410 on squirrel is actually a bit of a challenge. An enjoyable challenge though. Gotta get close in to get a solid hit. I use a Henry 410 lever action for squirrel now and then and have to remind myself when I'm using it that it's not the 12 gauge and have to have patience and wait for a closer shot.

I thought about using the Henry in a snowshoe hare hunt last winter. Even brought it along with the 12 gauge Browning a5. Time came to get ready to head out and I opted for the 12. Spent all the time and money to get up to North Central Maine I didn't want to take the chance on missing bunnies with the 410. They are friggin fast and I know the a5 puts the smack on running hares very well.

@whacko

What is your experience of the amount of squirrels in the deep woods of Zone 9/10 vs urban squirrels? I’ve been out a lot and have only seen chipmunks and birds so far. Certainly they are busy more in the early morning and evening.

@whacko

What is your experience of the amount of squirrels in the deep woods of Zone 9/10 vs urban squirrels? I’ve been out a lot and have only seen chipmunks and birds so far. Certainly they are busy more in the early morning and evening.
I've never had too much trouble finding squirrel in any wma as long as it has oak stands. The wma that are more upland habitat.....early successional forest .....don't hold to many. Find wma with oaks and your good.

@whacko

Forgot to add ....yes early morning and evenings are best. But.....I've taken squirrels during mid day as well. They are just more active early and late

Now if you could only get it in .17 Squirrel caliber!

http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/17squirrel.pdf

images

Oh, AND IT COMES IN A CONTENDER BARREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
17 Squirrel - Tell me more.

http://weaverrifles.com/CustomCartridges/17Squirrel/17Squirrel.htm

CZ 527 17 Squirrel

.17 SQUIRREL CALIBER

15 grain bullet with WW296 at 3,723 fps???
.17 SQUIRREL CALIBER

Last edited:
image.jpeg I have a variety of squirrel guns but one of my favorite combinations is the .410 contender in a bandolier holster then my .22 Victory pistol with a two power scope in a chest holster. I also really like my Chiappa badger break open that has a .410 barrel on the bottom and a .22 barrel on the top.

Back
Top Bottom