Contemplating Moving to a More Free State

I am fortunate enough to be in a situation where I could uproot my life and move. I have been heavily weighing this option over the past year with the way everything has shaken down. I know ultimately there is no escaping this new administration, but I envy seeing those that live in more conservative states for a variety of reasons.

my girl and I have talked about South Carolina. She likes it there and has always wanted to go. I am not too keen on the idea because I don’t know much about it there, I’ve been to Myrtle Beach once and I know it’s kind of prone to hurricanes.

I like Texas, but it’s flat and I hate how it seems that Californians are destined to ruin the state. Arizona seems cool, in certain areas. I love the idea of Colorado (although more blue, maybe not a good idea), Utah, or Wyoming. But again, I know nothing about the mountain region. The only part that sucks about that is I will usually like to visit the coast once a year, which wouldn’t be possible with a landlocked state.

has anyone thought the same? Where seems the most prosperous for a more free future? I am
Fairly young (30) and we don’t have plans for kids any time soon.
Don’t pick Kolorado! They’ve gone right off the rails down there! I’m from Wyoming, and I own 35 acres in the mountains down there. It’s only 2 miles into Kolorado across the Wyoming border (and only 60 miles from my house) and surrounded by national forest, but there’s days I think about selling it. They’re shaking the tree hard, and nuts are falling out all over. It’s a shame, too.

Don’t pick Kolorado! They’ve gone right off the rails down there! I’m from Wyoming, and I own 35 acres in the mountains down there. It’s only 2 miles into Kolorado across the Wyoming border (and only 60 miles from my house) and surrounded by national forest, but there’s days I think about selling it. They’re shaking the tree hard, and nuts are falling out all over. It’s a shame, too.
Yea Colorado is off the list. Really coming around to the idea of South Carolina

Getting my house here in CT prepped for sale, and will hopefully be in TN by the summer. Renting an RV when the house goes on the market, going to spend a couple weeks looking/maybe buying. Found a town with a 1000 yd. range on the main drag and loads of state parks. My son in south of there, loves the state, and has shot at that range, says the area is all trees and is beautiful. Property taxes seem to be about 25% of what I pay here, and quoting my son "you can have all the 30 round mags you want!"

Getting my house here in CT prepped for sale, and will hopefully be in TN by the summer. Renting an RV when the house goes on the market, going to spend a couple weeks looking/maybe buying. Found a town with a 1000 yd. range on the main drag and loads of state parks. My son in south of there, loves the state, and has shot at that range, says the area is all trees and is beautiful. Property taxes seem to be about 25% of what I pay here, and quoting my son "you can have all the 30 round mags you want!"

Is it this range?

Soon it wont matter which state you are in.
I respectifully disagree. There's plenty of evidence that some states could stand up to the Feds if they overreach with their authority and simply refuse to comply or, more to the point, require their citizens to comply. Biden, had he played a different hand and spread out his "ditates" over a year might have been able slither in but he decided to use a huge "Thor" hammer and get writer's cramp sigining in anything and everything that was accomplished last year. The unions are pissed at him as are many coal/gas states. Border people, too, are furious about his edicts that caught the between a rock and hard place. Biden is such a Mr. Magoo of politics.

Biden, had he played a different hand and spread out his "ditates" over a year might have been able slither in but he decided to use a huge "Thor" hammer and get writer's cramp sigining in anything and everything that was accomplished last year.

My "conspiracy theory" on that it's because he was put in place to make huge changes and relieve "President" Harris from this responsibility. She could then merely slide into the chair and say, "Well this is the way former President would have wanted it, had he had lived out his term."

But you did NOT hear that from me.

We started to pack up the house a bit. Threw a 30 yard dumpster full of crap out too. More to come. Doing some painting and cleaning. We were recently in our new to us townhouses in Montana. Spent several days ripping one of them apart, cleaning and taping everything. My daughter and her boyfriend are taking a ten day road trip across country, finishing at the townhouses. They will be there for three weeks. Lots of painting for them to do and carpeting to rip up. We are so close to getting out of this hell hole of a state.

I spent an hour today researching all the backcountry lakes and rivers that I can hike into in the Absarokas to fish. Holy crap; 200 or more lakes and lots of rivers and streams. Ya, it is a different world out there. Gonna be a while before Biden's army finds me out there :)

Not reading the whole thread at this pint. I'm in eastern Tennessee, see my thread in off topic called Tennessee Chronicles for more.

We were in Chelmsford MA. I moved there having gone NJ (born/raised) to Indiana (1 year) to Arizona (Phoenix Valley for 8) to MA (12 years, divorced and remarried) to home in Jefferson County TN. For 1 1 1/2 years now. I'm 57, still working. Wife was born and raised and lived her entire life in MA until we moved.

Short (lol) list of reasons for TN and against pretty much everything else. NE is cold, so is the northern third of the country. West coast is brain dead. SW is hot, dusty, dry, and no longer speaks English. Texas IS flat, and not nearly as gun-friendly as people say. Read. Southeast gets hurricanes (so does Texas actually) and floods. And skeeters. East coast gets hurricanes, all the way up to NJ and NY. Midwest is flat and square. Think about why the states are squares. The bigger the cities, the liberal-er the state. And don't forget that pesky 200-mile zone where ALL the constitution isn't valid.

We looked for deep red, small-to-medium cities, good economy, low taxes, fairly moderate climate,low crime, rideable (m/c) roads, 2a friendly areas. We ended up with southern Kentucky, Western Carolinas, NW Georgia, northern Louisiana area. All had advantages and disadvantages, we'd never been to any.

Did more research,settked on Tennessee between Knoxville and Nashville. Came house hunting, looked at 8 houses in 2 days east of Knoxville. Bought a house in Jefferson County that trip, actually signing E-docs literally will boarding the plane. Almost got hollered at by the stewardess.

21 acres, 1200sq ft, 840sq ft detached shop, 150sq ft detached "she-shed". Full basement. $169k. Yup. $850/year taxes. Yup. Range is 15 feet from my walkout basement. Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Deer and turkeys constantly in my yard. 140 acre cow pasture across the street.

Moving here was the best decision I ever made. After marrying Lady Radtekk that is.

Oh, Jefferson County is a "2a sanctuary County" and there's talk of TN becoming a sanctuary state.

Nobody likes Biden much down here. My "Trump 2020, because liberalism is a mental disorder" t-shirt gets positive comments EVERY time I wear it.

ETA: In response to somebody, I think @76Too ?, but maybe not... My 19 y/o has driven from Manchester to me solo in about 14-15 hours a couple of times, 21 y/o makes it from Windermere FL (near Disney) in 11 or so, also solo. Lady Radtekk and I drove down from Chelmsford once, two easy days, leisurely driving, hour for lunch, etc.

Last edited:
Not reading the whole thread at this pint. I'm in eastern Tennessee, see my thread in off topic called Tennessee Chronicles for more.

We were in Chelmsford MA. I moved there having gone NJ (born/raised) to Indiana (1 year) to Arizona (Phoenix Valley for 8) to MA (12 years, divorced and remarried) to home in Jefferson County TN. For 1 1 1/2 years now. I'm 57, still working. Wife was born and raised and lived her entire life in MA until we moved.

Short (lol) list of reasons for TN and against pretty much everything else. NE is cold, so is the northern third of the country. West coast is brain dead. SW is hot, dusty, dry, and no longer speaks English. Texas IS flat, and not nearly as gun-friendly as people say. Read. Southeast gets hurricanes (so does Texas actually) and floods. And skeeters. East coast gets hurricanes, all the way up to NJ and NY. Midwest is flat and square. Think about why the states are squares. The bigger the cities, the liberal-er the state. And don't forget that pesky 100-mile zone where ALL the constitution isn't valid.

We looked for deep red, small-to-medium cities, good economy, low taxes, fairly moderate climate,low crime, rideable (m/c) roads, 2a friendly areas. We ended up with southern Kentucky, Western Carolinas, NW Georgia, northern Louisiana area. All had advantages and disadvantages, we'd never been to any.

Did more research,settked on Tennessee between Knoxville and Nashville. Came house hunting, looked at 8 houses in 2 days east of Knoxville. Bought a house in Jefferson County that trip, actually signing E-docs literally will boarding the plane. Almost got hollered at by the stewardess.

21 acres, 1200sq ft, 840sq ft detached shop, 150sq ft detached "she-shed". Full basement. $169k. Yup. $850/year taxes. Yup. Range is 15 feet from my walkout basement. Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Deer and turkeys constantly in my yard. 140 care cow pasture across the street.

Moving here was the best decision I ever made. After marrying Lady Radtekk that is.

Oh, Jefferson County is a "2a sanctuary County" and there's talk of TN becoming a sanctuary state.

Nobody likes Biden much down here. My "Trump 2020, because liberalism is a mental disorder" t-shirget positive comments EVERY time I wear it.
Funny, those same areas of KY and TN are what I narrowed the eventual move down to, settling on TN. I'm at least 6 years out, so hopefully nothing changes there.

We started to pack up the house a bit. Threw a 30 yard dumpster full of crap out too. More to come. Doing some painting and cleaning. We were recently in our new to us townhouses in Montana. Spent several days ripping one of them apart, cleaning and taping everything. My daughter and her boyfriend are taking a ten day road trip across country, finishing at the townhouses. They will be there for three weeks. Lots of painting for them to do and carpeting to rip up. We are so close to getting out of this hell hole of a state.

I spent an hour today researching all the backcountry lakes and rivers that I can hike into in the Absarokas to fish. Holy crap; 200 or more lakes and lots of rivers and streams. Ya, it is a different world out there. Gonna be a while before Biden's army finds me out there :)
Say hi to Sheriff Longmire for me.

Just thinking out loud. It’s really disheartening to see Americans scrambling across the country looking for scraps of land that are more free than others. :(
It is sad. But it's what we've come to. Partially by a lack of "awareness" by many, a lust for power by some, and a need by others to be "safe" at any cost, mostly by letting freedoms be taken away. Lots of ways to try to explain why, almost all with some truth.

But we can either cry in our beers over what has/is happening or we can try to do something. For some, moving to and strengthening free(er) areas is the answer.

Last edited:
It is sad. But it's what we've come to. Partially by a lack of "awareness" by many, a lust for power by some, and a need by others to be "safe" at any cost, mostly be letting freedoms be taken away. Lots of ways to try to explain why, almost all with some truth.

But we can either cry in our beers over what has/is happening or we can try to do something. For some, moving to and strengthening free(er) areas is the answer.
Well said. My fear is we are running out of time and space at an astonishing rate.

I think the secession movement may slowly gain steam. Nobody knows what's coming, and nobody could have accurately or specifically predicted the last 2 years or so, basically "Floyd" and WuFlu. But here we are...

So I think Texas' secession bill slow rolls. Florida continues to push back against the (non) travel ban proposal. Other southern states continue to get cranky. Here in Tennessee there's noise about becoming a sanctuary state. Wyoming is proposing/passing anti-Fed/ATF bills.

I think something will happen "Bundy-style" as a catalyst and the whole thing will fall apart. Biden is weak. Too weak to push back effectively. If he strokes out, I seriously doubt Harris has the chops to do anything other than shriek. Certainly the military amd governors won't obey/follow her.

California is in trouble in too many ways to count. Other states have comparable fiscal issues. The ones that don't, don't want to bail the others out. You really think Iowans want to bail out Chicago?

Something stupid is gonna happen and the whole thing is going to go in a direction nobody expected. The buildup will continue to be slow, but when it happens, it's gonna be fast. And every single mother's son is going to look back and say "How did we not see that coming?"

Another thought about what states may do...

The "United States" is just that. A group of separate entities organized not unlike the Soviet Union once was. Different politics, different dynamics, sure. But there's no compelling reason other than tradition and a couple of pieces of paper to make it so.

Since the original reason for the US to BE the US is gone, and has now been replaced by another, arguably MORE autocratic government, I really don't see much compelling reason for unity absent those two things above. Most of the states are no different than most other countries in the world, some (Texas, California, Alaska) are significantly larger.

In many ways, we are becoming less similar every day. So why stay together? I don't necessarily think that's a good thing, just see more things pushing us apart than pulling us together.

I am fortunate enough to be in a situation where I could uproot my life and move. I have been heavily weighing this option over the past year with the way everything has shaken down. I know ultimately there is no escaping this new administration, but I envy seeing those that live in more conservative states for a variety of reasons.

my girl and I have talked about South Carolina. She likes it there and has always wanted to go. I am not too keen on the idea because I don’t know much about it there, I’ve been to Myrtle Beach once and I know it’s kind of prone to hurricanes.

I like Texas, but it’s flat and I hate how it seems that Californians are destined to ruin the state. Arizona seems cool, in certain areas. I love the idea of Colorado (although more blue, maybe not a good idea), Utah, or Wyoming. But again, I know nothing about the mountain region. The only part that sucks about that is I will usually like to visit the coast once a year, which wouldn’t be possible with a landlocked state.

has anyone thought the same? Where seems the most prosperous for a more free future? I am
Fairly young (30) and we don’t have plans for kids any time soon.
There are no free states. We lived in AZ in the early 2000's. When we got there, the place had just been over run by Californians. They sold their homes in CA for big money, and came and snapped up AZ homes and real estate. This pushed the prices way up. It also got farmers to sell their fields for a lot money, which became expensive developments. Cities incorporated a lot of "open land" into their borders, in anticipation of growth. Unfortunately, AZ has a law that prohibits shooting within 1 mile of any occupied structure (including vehicles) within "city limits". This put a lot of previously "shootable" open desert into prohibited territory. Plus, it you look at the politics, they are letting lots of moonbats win the elections there.

Living in NH now, it's similar. Right now, about the only thing keeping bad gun laws at bay is Sununu. Our State and local "representatives" are flaming anti-gun liberals.

Just my .02

There are no free states. We lived in AZ in the early 2000's. When we got there, the place had just been over run by Californians. They sold their homes in CA for big money, and came and snapped up AZ homes and real estate. This pushed the prices way up. It also got farmers to sell their fields for a lot money, which became expensive developments. Cities incorporated a lot of "open land" into their borders, in anticipation of growth. Unfortunately, AZ has a law that prohibits shooting within 1 mile of any occupied structure (including vehicles) within "city limits". This put a lot of previously "shootable" open desert into prohibited territory. Plus, it you look at the politics, they are letting lots of moonbats win the elections there.

Living in NH now, it's similar. Right now, about the only thing keeping bad gun laws at bay is Sununu. Our State and local "representatives" are flaming anti-gun liberals.

Just my .02
The flagstaff area had my attention for a while. Sedona is beautiful but pricy. I’m leaning towards TN now.

Just thinking out loud. It’s really disheartening to see Americans scrambling across the country looking for scraps of land that are more free than others. :(

Yes, but equally disheartening is what is going on with the existing construction sales in NH and how large tracts of subdivided land is getting gobbled up to create "neighborhoods". Watch land in southern Coos/Northern Grafton. Soon the "locals"-define "local" will be priced out of their home towns. It happened where I grew up in Barnstable county, it's starting to happen in other parts of the country as well.

Is there any positive from this new crew there now?

They would be foolish to not take advantage of the majority.
There is a thread about the 2021 bills, a few pro gun/hunting bills that will likely pass. I wish they were more extreme, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

Back
Top Bottom