• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Contemplating Moving to a More Free State

Figured I'd follow up on my own post with 1st hand experience with the SC ranges that I mentioned before.
I spent a few hours at one this morning. There are some FUDD rules.
Benchrest shooting rifles only.
No rapid fire (3 second count)
No 50 BMG
No incendiary rounds
No steel targets
No sandals (this one really upsets me)
No full auto.

Handgun range had some rules, nothing that jumped out at me. Except for the age. No one under 16 at pistol.

I talked to the range officer for a bit. He wasn't there to bust anyone. I asked if he cared about training firing from a holster. Didn't care as long as you are not sweeping anyone.

All in all, it's a free place for me to shoot. I like to shoot from bench anyways, but will end up finding another spot for other shooting positions.

100 yard rifle range had 5 positions
200 yard rifle range had 10 positions
25 yard pistol range had 5 positions
Wait, what??? No sandals? What a lib crap hole. That state is dead to me. :D

Wondering if I'm gonna get a reparations check for how the British Empire treated and in some cases killed my ancestors......

Figured I'd follow up on my own post with 1st hand experience with the SC ranges that I mentioned before.
No 50 BMG
No incendiary rounds
No steel targets
No full auto.

Handgun range had some rules, nothing that jumped out at me. Except for the age. No one under 16 at pistol.

I talked to the range officer for a bit. He wasn't there to bust anyone. I asked if he cared about training firing from a holster. Didn't care as long as you are not sweeping anyone.

All in all, it's a free place for me to shoot. I like to shoot from bench anyways, but will end up finding another spot for other shooting positions.

Welcome to western NH/eastern VT ranges. "5 second rule" (rifle and pistol). No "human" targets - bulls/squares/animals only. No 50BMG. No full auto. Guess they forgot about the steel targets (for now...). No closer than 50 feet - hard for a new shooter with a pistol when she doesn't know where it's hitting yet.

No 50 BMG
No incendiary rounds
No steel targets
No full auto.

The state ranges and some of the private ranges aren't that great. The local one I go to allows me to do whatever I want as long as I'm not bothering other shooters. So if people are on the pistol pit, I can't run around.

Sitting on my porch watching the sunset. Glass of Bulleit 10 at my elbow. Cows across the street mooing. 59 now, was 64 earlier.

In response to prior posts about "range rules" mine are simple:
1) Don't do stupid shit.
2) Don't be an a**h***.
And of course the "Four rules".

Wanna shoot offhand? Prone? Kneeling? Rolling tactically? Combat/tactical draws? Mag dumps? Rapid fire? Wear sandals? IDGAF. Just don't shoot yourself, ambulance is 10 minutes, trauma center is 40 by road.

And don't shoot the critters, they may be food one day...

Sitting on my porch watching the sunset. Glass of Bulleit 10 at my elbow. Cows across the street mooing. 59 now, was 64 earlier.

1) Don't do stupid shit.
2) Don't be an a**h***.

Wanna shoot offhand? Prone? Kneeling? Rolling tactically? Combat/tactical draws? Mag dumps? Rapid fire? Wear sandals? IDGAF. Just don't shoot yourself, ambulance is 10 minutes, trauma center is 40 by road.

By the same token I'm betting you reserve the right to laugh at any and all of these things if need be. "Do what you want, safely, but be prepared to be mocked if you look stupid." [wink]

Do they constrain longarms to the 100/200 yard ranges?
The Bride's favorite thang is shooting the 10/22 on our club's 100' range.

(In other words,
while everyone calls our club's 100' range "the pistol range"
and the 100 yard range "the rifle range",
longarms and handguns are allowed at both).

Do they constrain longarms to the 100/200 yard ranges?
The Bride's favorite thang is shooting the 10/22 on our club's 100' range.

(In other words,
while everyone calls our club's 100' range "the pistol range"
and the 100 yard range "the rifle range",
longarms and handguns are allowed at both).
I didn't see any specific rule not allowing it. But the 25 yard range was specifically labeled "pistol range". However, I think some common sense could be used there. Because we all know the 10/22 is better than the 300bl pistol AR on that range.

It's a matter of personal choice. A MA person moving to Colorado would get some comparative 2A freedoms but you're still submitting to mag capacity limits, AWB type stuff, etc. I mean, glass half full a MA person could say "yes! I can have 15 round mags, bye bye 10 rounders!" But if I am packing up and moving across the country, I'm not going to pick a state that won't let me have 30+ rounders.

I wasn't saying those are disqualifiers per se, just pointing it out for OP.
I'm not sure Texas can be saved. And once Texas goes solid blue, it's game over. Winning CA + NY + TX = 45% of the electoral college votes to win already, with just those three states.
Honestly if your worried about mags your priorities are out of whack...

1) Don't do stupid shit.
2) Don't be an a**h***.

Your TN chronicles should be a sticky! Life outside of New England is real living. It is nice to not have to be in constant rant mode as it is up north. [smile]

mjqjehM.jpg

5 minutes from my house, if i even hear another human in a day of shooting i get pissed.

Back
Top Bottom