• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

contemplating first CMP purchase

I’d like to buy a M1 Garand and a 1903, and I’ve been considering getting them both from ODCMP. I have a couple questions about the process I was hoping ya’ll could help me out with.

First, the only Garands still available are “rack grade.” I’ve been told the CMP is very conservative in their condition descriptions. I want a rifle that’s going to be a shooter - can I expect to get a rifle I can take out and shoot, or is a CMP Garand going to require work? Would I be better off buying one elsewhere? If so, where should I look?

The 1903’s are in “good to very good” condition, except for the barrels. Will I need to replace the barrel? The gun is priced at $500 as it is, plus whatever it costs for a barrel and gunsmithing, if I need to replace the barrel. Is it worth it, or will I find a better deal elsewhere?

Also, I’ve reviewed the sticky on this forum about buying from the CMP. I know meet all the requirements (or I will, as soon as I join GOAL), but I didn’t see any information about HOW I go about getting these requirement to the CMP. Is there an application process or some way they confirm this, or do I just send in photocopies of my documents with the order form?

And finally, I wanted to pay by credit card, but I’m uncomfortable writing the cc # on the order form and mailing it in. Has anyone been able to pay with a credit card via an alternative method (first purchase)?

Thanks!

The "rack grades" should still be shooters

Not sure on the 1903 but I would expect you can get a new barrel without much of a headache.

Direct on the CMP site is the application :
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/ordering_information.htm

You can use a credit card by calling them direct with it and faxing the order first or just list your phone # for a call when they get the application for payment purposes.

I highly recommend sticking with the CMP for these purchases.

Don't use a credit card if it bothers you. Surely your bank will issue you a certified check.

And the number of DISsatisfied CMP customers is a tiny percentage.

Besides - you're dealing with an entity that will ship a genuine military rifle TO YOUR DOOR !!!

God, that's reason enough to buy one!

Just don't take too long to make your decision. These things are disappearing at an alarming rate. When I got my Garand four years ago, there were three different grades and several manufacturers to choose from. There will still be shipments that show up from time-to-time, but you never know when they'll be available, and competition is fierce. Just look at the M-1 Carbine receivers from last year - about 1500 disappeared in 10 days.

Get your rifles from CMP whlle you can.... or wait a while and pay 50 - 100% more at a gun show.

Not all the 1903 barrels have been bad from what I have been hearing. Some guys have just cleaned them up and they have been fine but it is a crap shoot. I would not wait to much longer to order, in fact you may have already missed out. I put an order for two barreled recievers in early January and still have not recieved them, when I called CMP they could not confirm if I would even get them at all. They took so many orders they probably won,t have enough to fill them. If you do order an 03 and get one with a bad barrel you can expect to pay anywhere from $100-200 at current e-bay prices for a new in the wrap barrel, and there seems to be a decent supply of them. Probably another $50 or so to have a gunsmith install and finish ream it to set headspace. I just got a new in wrap two groove 2-43 barrel in anticipation of replacing the barrel on one of the recievers that I paobably won't get now, and paid $100 for it.[grin]

My two bits.
Walter.......

Last edited:
Get the Garand immediately. I ordered my Greek Field Grade return in January and apparently got my order in just before they ran out of FGs. They don't expect to have any more FGs, SGs, or up anytime soon, and the Rack Grades are in good working order with probably only a few parts that may need replacement.

I'm waiting on a carbine myself. Inland first, then hopefully an IBM if I can get one when they are released.

order went out for a Garand and a 1903 last week. Keeping my fingers crossed. Any idea of how long the turn around will be?

Probably not too long on the Garand, they have plenty of rack grades left IIRC. The 1903 you may wait a while on.

order went out for a Garand and a 1903 last week. Keeping my fingers crossed. Any idea of how long the turn around will be?

Let's put it this way, I ordered two Remington 03/A3 barreled recievers. Sent my paperwork in next day air the first week of January, The order did not get posted on e-store until February 7. It's now April 2 and no recievers yet. When I contacted CMP I found out that they have been backordered so I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure that you will fare better with the M1. Sometimes it sounds like the people at CMP don't know whats going on either, I've spoken to people on the phone, e-mail and cannot get a straight answer from anyone. Well, good luck anyway and if you do get both enjoy them..[wink]

Walter

Probably not too long on the Garand, they have plenty of rack grades left IIRC. The 1903 you may wait a while on.

Funny thing - I got the first shipping notice from CMP. I ordered a 1903, M1 Garand, and 2 cases of ammo, and the 1903 was the first to ship. Still no word on the M1 or the ammo.

That is funny, I would have bet you got the garrand first. what did you order for an 03? I ordered some lake city ammo and the turnaround time was about two weeks (BTW, the Lake city ammo is great stuff).

03C...

That is funny, I would have bet you got the garrand first. what did you order for an 03? I ordered some lake city ammo and the turnaround time was about two weeks (BTW, the Lake city ammo is great stuff).

03C...

I figured I'd get the Garand first too, but I just checked the website, and it says the M1 Garands are all sold out! I hope my order got processed in time. I logged in and checked my account, and my Garand order is listed as "Open."

The website says there won't be any more available until October. [hmmm]

Also, does anyone know how they ship ammo? I thought it was by FedEx, but I got a tracking number for the rifle, but not for the ammo I ordered (status for the ammo order is "shipped." the 1903 order has already been moved from "pending orders" to "invoice history")

FYI, I ordered the Remington M1903A3.

I ordered a case of LC M2 online on a Saturday; it was delivered 10 days later (1 day later than the stated delivery date).

I got the 1903 today [party]

but no ammo until Friday [crying]

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall being told you're supposed to shoot only surplus ammo in these old rifles, as opposed to new manufactured 30-06 (which is meant for modern hunting rifles and such).

If that's the case, does anyone know where I can pick some up this afternoon (Northshore or Metrowest area)? I called FS and Collectors, and both said they didn't have any 30-06 surplus.

Thanks!

I have fired commercial and surplus in my 03s without problem but the commercial gets real expensive after a while. Clean her up real good first and check the barrel for cosmo. Pics, pics, where are the pics, and details[wink]

You should be fine with any 30-06 in the '03. As far as I know shooting commercial ammo is only really an issue in the Garand. Due to pressure differences from M-2 Ball the oprod can get bent when using commercial ammo.

Enjoy it, they are great rifles.

Oh yeah... Pics![wink]

Back
Top Bottom