Container Garden 2015

FrugalFannie

NES Member
Planning on doing some container gardening this year as we are currently renting and the landlord won't allow us to dig up her lawn.

I have a friend who did this up until last year when she bought a house and now has a large garden in her yard using permaculture principles.

We started seeds yesterday. Some of the things I am looking to grow (which she is helping me with good varieties for containers) mini red bell peppers and tomatoes (Tiny Tim).
Also going to do cucumbers, zuchini, summer squash and scallions plus herbs. I will also try some rattlesnake beans from her stock of saved beans from last years crop. I do help her with her garden and get some produce in exchange for the labor.

Planning on trying to use this design for keeping things watered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnudDKplj8I

That sounds like a great way to go since our yards will still be covered with snow half way through the growing season [laugh]

Years ago we had a house on a hill and the back yard was 3 flights of stairs down. My wife had health problems and couldn't do the steps so I built her a square-foot garden on the back deck. It was just 4'X8' but produced a lot more than I expected. The convenience for her of having it 3 steps out the back door was nice. She really enjoyed just being able to step out on the porch and tend her plants.

Yep. The containers will be on my deck and possibly in front of the house where there is some shade and possibly a couple other locations. The deck gets incredibly hot. Hoping to find a few cooler spots so my lettuce won't bolt so fast but where the critters won't get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. The containers will be on my deck and possibly in front of the house where there is some shade and possibly a couple other locations. The deck gets incredibly hot. Hoping to find a few cooler spots so my lettuce won't bolt so fast but where the critters won't get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black landscape pots in the sun - Hot peppers LOVE to have their feet hot.

YOu have to watch where you put the containers. THey can heat up too much in the sun and get killed. They also need to be water frequently even in the "self watering" containers. We found them a lot of work as we would have to move containers to get them out of the sun and water several times a day when it was hot. Nutrients were an issue as well as some of the things took a lot out of the soil in the containers. The only things in containers now are what we bring in in the winter. Hot peppers, ginger, bay etc. They spend the winter in our sunroom and the rest of the year on the patio.

Back
Top Bottom