• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Constitutional Carry Question

This may be a dumb question but there's too much on the line to just "assume". When a state, let's say NH, passes Constitutional Carry does it apply to all American citizens or only residents of that particular state? Does this vary by state?

This may be a dumb question but there's too much on the line to just "assume". When a state, let's say NH, passes Constitutional Carry does it apply to all American citizens or only residents of that particular state? Does this vary by state?

It applies to everyone who is not a PP.

It does, in fact, vary by state.

In NH, anyone who is not a PP is permitted to carry without a license. In North Dakota, for example, which just passed Constitutional Carry, you may only carry without a license if you have possessed a valid North Dakota driver’s license or state ID card for at least a year.

So, it varies.

In NH, anyone who is not a PP is permitted to carry without a license. In North Dakota, for example, which just passed Constitutional Carry, you may only carry without a license if you have possessed a valid North Dakota driver’s license or state ID card for at least a year.

So, it varies.

Even though they are calling it Constitutional Carry, what they have in North Dakota doesn't sound like Constitutional Carry to me.

I believe of the three New England CC states (VT, NH, ME), only Maine has certain restrictions when carrying on the 2A vs on a permit--for example without a permit you must inform police you are carrying when stopped, and there are certain places like Acadia where you can't carry.

I believe of the three New England CC states (VT, NH, ME), only Maine has certain restrictions when carrying on the 2A vs on a permit--for example without a permit you must inform police you are carrying when stopped, and there are certain places like Acadia where you can't carry.

To clarify - If carrying on the 2A, one only needs to inform police one is carrying if they are a non-resident of Maine. Residents do not have this requirement (when carrying on the 2A).

***Ignore me. I'm wrong***

The requirement to inform is for both non-residents and residents if carrying on the 2A.

Last edited:
To clarify - If carrying on the 2A, one only needs to inform police one is carrying if they are a non-resident of Maine. Residents do not have this requirement (when carrying on the 2A).

Which is total BS being a USA citizen. I wish the Constitution had a penalty clause for violating it

Never heard this anywhere, I was of the understanding that the LE declaration thing was required for ANYONE who didn't have an ME license, regardless of residency.

-Mike

I just checked on the Maine State Police website, and it appears that it applies to both residents and non-res alike:

If an individual is carrying a concealed handgun without a permit, he/she hasa duty, when coming into contact with any law enforcement officer during a
routine stop, detention or arrest, to immediately inform the law enforcement
officer that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun.

https://www1.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/LD 652 Summary.pdf

Whatever happened to don't ask, don't tell??

In NH, if it doesn't come up, why talk about it?

Never heard this anywhere, I was of the understanding that the LE declaration thing was required for ANYONE who didn't have an ME license, regardless of residency.

-Mike

I just checked on the Maine State Police website, and it appears that it applies to both residents and non-res alike:

https://www1.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/LD 652 Summary.pdf

I swear I remembered reading that (what I said in my last post) after the law was passed... but now I can't find it. What I'm seeing is what you guys are saying - that the requirement to notify is for both non-residents and residents if carrying on the 2A.

It bugs the shit out of me when people put bad info out there. My bad.

There was a ton of bad info floating around because some lf the politicians, media, and police didn't really want people to use the law. Not really your fault that you remembered it that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There was a ton of bad info floating around because some lf the politicians, media, and police didn't really want people to use the law. Not really your fault that you remembered it that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On a similar note, you wouldn't believe how many idiots think that the new NH con carry law only applies to residents. I've had like 3 people tell me that and one was an NH resident who got fed that BS from a leo. I hope that the state has pushed out an LE bulletin about it.

So a MA resident who possesses an LTC-A (a non PP) can carry concealed in NH, ME & VT without having been issued a license to do so? I also have a NH P&R license to CC so if the answer to my question is "YES", then I do not have to renew that in the future. Is this correct?

I spend 99% of my time in MA & NH but occassionally cross over into ME. It would be nice to know that I can CC in ME without having to apply for a CC license which I had been considering before Constitutional Carry was passed.

So a MA resident who possesses an LTC-A (a non PP) can carry concealed in NH, ME & VT without having been issued a license to do so? I also have a NH P&R license to CC so if the answer to my question is "YES", then I do not have to renew that in the future. Is this correct?

I spend 99% of my time in MA & NH but occassionally cross over into ME. It would be nice to know that I can CC in ME without having to apply for a CC license which I had been considering before Constitutional Carry was passed.

No permits are required for VT, NH, or ME. But, in ME you have a duty to inform an LEO at the beginning of a routine stop, arrest, or detainment.

Sorry, being lazy and asking this instead of looking it up, hoping it's an easy answer for someone. Are VT, NH, ME concealed or open carry if you are a non-resident wanting to carry under their constitutional carry laws?

VT and NH are open and concealed carry states for non-PPs. I'm not sure about Maine.

Your MA LTC means zilch north of the border. Any tom, dick, or harry from MA or anywhere else, as long as they're not a felon/PP, can carry concealed all day in NH. Just don't hop on an ATV/sled while CCing, you'll have to open carry while on them. No issues getting into a regular vehicle while CCing a handgun. No loaded long guns in/on vehicles.

Even before CC, Maine was a traditional open carry state. It's also strictly shall issue. More than one Portland police chief has run into this with a poor outcome for the chief. A close friend of mine is a life long ME resident and strong 2a proponent. He follows ME 2a issues closely and has told me that although the Portland PD tries to apply their own rules, they get slapped down by the courts and the legislature every time.

Former Portland Chief James Craig, commented on his culture shock when he moved from LA to become the chief in Portland. He was routinely denying license applications and then having his decisions overturned. He's now the chief in Detroit and is pretty pro 2A.

Sorry, being lazy and asking this instead of looking it up, hoping it's an easy answer for someone. Are VT, NH, ME concealed or open carry if you are a non-resident wanting to carry under their constitutional carry laws?

Although a state might be constitutional carry, there are sometimes good reasons to maintain a license for that state. I just renewed my NH non-res because it's valid in other states like PA. In Maine, I think you need a permit to carry in national (an maybe state) parks.

Although a state might be constitutional carry, there are sometimes good reasons to maintain a license for that state. I just renewed my NH non-res because it's valid in other states like PA. In Maine, I think you need a permit to carry in national (an maybe state) parks.

With an actual permit you can also CC on an ATV/sled.

States that have licenses to carry or license-free carry only for their own residents are going to run into the Comity Clause (P&I clause - Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1) at some point, once 2A cases get rolling again at the USSC. A few more decisions are between that and those states (like a firm holding that carry is a right) but once there, it's almost inevitable that discriminating against non-residents in a rights-area will be shot down.

So, it varies.

So, that's not really Constitutional carry.

Back
Top Bottom