• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Constables in Mass

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who may be full/part time constables I have a few questions:

1) Is it worth it (job satisfaction wise)?
- I am considering applying for my constable licence because I'm debating a return to law enforcement and would like to feel it out again (That, and the no firearm restriction perk).

2) Is it worh it (monetary wise)?
- The town I would be applying in says I have to kick back 25% of what I make to the town. Is this normal? Would I make back the money spent in application fees and bonding insurance fairly qickly or would it take time?

3) I have looked but can't seem to find any form of official/professional constable training. The only thing I would have to rely on when starting out is everything I remember from my old training days.

4) Since the firearm restrictions don't apply due to constables falling into the LE category what sidearm would you recommend? Kimber, Springfield KD, etc...?

In MA, a constable is basically a process server. Typically a lawyer or individual hires a constable to serve legal papers.

I am considering applying for my constable licence because I'm debating a return to law enforcement and would like to feel it out again

I know I'm treading in a minefield here, but I wouldn't consider being a constable in MA to really be a law enforcement job.

I have looked but can't seem to find any form of official/professional constable training. The only thing I would have to rely on when starting out is everything I remember from my old training days.

There basically isn't any.

4) Since the firearm restrictions don't apply due to constables falling into the LE category what sidearm would you recommend? Kimber, Springfield KD, etc...?

[rofl][rofl2] Good luck with that.

How do you become a constable in Ma??

You need to have a lawyer fill out a form that says they will use your services at least once. Then just file the application with the letter and fee, and proof of bond as well. At least that is how it was explained to me by the constable next door. I am considering it just to get the off list guns and no risk of hassle for OCing since, as you said, they qualify as law enforcement.

You need to have a lawyer fill out a form that says they will use your services at least once. Then just file the application with the letter and fee, and proof of bond as well. At least that is how it was explained to me by the constable next door. I am considering it just to get the off list guns and no risk of hassle for OCing since, as you said, they qualify as law enforcement.
Good luck! You will need a police chief to sign off on the "off list" guns and he/she will have to indicate in a letter to the dealer that they are going to be used for "official use only". Unless you are a sworn officer with that department, the chief (or his delegate) is going to show you the "Exit" door at the station house very quickly!

- I am considering applying for my constable licence because I'm debating a return to law enforcement and would like to feel it out again (That, and the no firearm restriction perk).

- The town I would be applying in says I have to kick back 25% of what I make to the town. Is this normal? Would I make back the money spent in application fees and bonding insurance fairly qickly or would it take time?

3) I have looked but can't seem to find any form of official/professional constable training. The only thing I would have to rely on when starting out is everything I remember from my old training days.

Gonna be quick and short as I have a class to teach shortly.

1. No. False about "no firearms restriction perk".

2. No. Former Boston & Dedham Constable said it best. He estimated that he made ~$5K/year at most. Ran another business (as do I) and never seperated out income from each source. If you are in a slum city, yes you can make a real living . . . in the burbs it's coffee money.

3. None officially available.

4. Not true and most LEOs, FRB/EOPS, MCOPA do NOT consider Constables LE!! I believe they are wrong as we have statutory arrest powers . . . but my belief with $2.50 might get you a cup of coffee.

Also from a lawyers perspective, I tend to use the same folks over and over, especially for Capias warrants. I would imagine that makes it tough to break in unless you work for one of the larger companies or do PI work.

I was a constable for a few years in the early 2000s.

If you have connections alreay, then you can make about 4-6K per year. If you have no connections, then good luck. You can always join one of the major constable associations if they have openings available.

Also, keep in mind that it has fees associated with it. Generally 100-500 per 3 year term with another 100-200 for your personal 5K bond every 2 years. So you need work just to break even. And the no firearm restriction perk is false. No place will sell you LEO guns on a constable badge.

And finally, you are liable for everything you do wrong. There is no department to back you up. If you do an arrest and they sue you, they are in fact sueing you personally.

One of the major associations used to have formal training. I took it. Wasnt bad actually. Basically told you want you can't do, and how to stay out of trouble. (example, notifying the PD when doing any work in said city).

ROFL. Your information is incorrect. Do yourself a favor and call some firearm places and ask about it.

Since a constable does have powers of arrest (as well as can make traffic stops) wouldn't that make him/her technically a "Law Enforcement Officer"? Not a Police Officer belinging to an actual department or state, but a different form of LE?

Last edited:
Since a constable does have powers of arrest (as well as can make traffic stops) wouldn't that make him/her technically a "Law Enforcement Officer"? Not a Police Officer belinging to an actual department or state, but a different form of LE?

I know of several FFL's that view the law this way and will order/transfer any firearm (EEOPS List or no List)

I would love to have a constable pull me over! That would be an interesting conversation! [rofl]

I know of several FFL's that view the law this way and will order/transfer any firearm (EEOPS List or no List)

I just choked on my coffee AND pissed myself. Thanks for that.

Provided below are some of the MGL's that govern constables. It's what I've found so far.
The motor vehicle law states “Police officer” or “officer”, any constable or other officer authorized to make arrest or serve process, provided he is in uniform or displays his badge of office"...which to me says a constable may enforce motor vehicle law. I believe most constables wold agree but would like input from them.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleVII/Chapter41/Section94

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section201

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleVII/Chapter41/Section95

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section167

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section1

Provided below are some of the MGL's that govern constables. It's what I've found so far.
The motor vehicle law states “Police officer” or “officer”, any constable or other officer authorized to make arrest or serve process, provided he is in uniform or displays his badge of office"...which to me says a constable may enforce motor vehicle law. I believe most constables wold agree but would like input from them.

ANother actual constable already posted hear that no actual training is required to be a constable.....so.....if a constable pulled me over for a traffic violation and gave me a ticket I have a feeling it would be pretty easy to fight that one incourt!!!!

If you want to be a cop, join a police force. If a constable tried to pull me over, I'd be on 911 in a heartbeat. And once the black-and-white got there, he would be seriously pissed -- at the constable.

ANother actual constable already posted hear that no actual training is required to be a constable.....so.....if a constable pulled me over for a traffic violation and gave me a ticket I have a feeling it would be pretty easy to fight that one incourt!!!!

Despite what the law may say about CH 90 powers, they don't have a department to issue them Citation books, same goes for Deputy's therefore have no power unless it is an arrest-able offense. Talk to Sheft about it lol

Despite what the law may say about CH 90 powers, they don't have a department to issue them Citation books, same goes for Deputy's therefore have no power unless it is an arrest-able offense. Talk to Sheft about it lol

Exactly. A constable has to ask the specific police departments for a citation book. If the police issues him the book, then he can write tickets all day long (within that town). Now if anyone fights those tickets, then the constable has to go to court himself to defend it. And the constable does not get paid for doing so, nor does he get paid for writing the actual ticket. So it really is a waste of time.

If a constable pulled me over I would seriously **** with him. It would be like Super Troopers but the rolls reversed.

Your point is totally moot and irrelevant full of Internet bravado. What constable is going to issue traffic citations for what reason? There is absolutely nothing in it for them and what PD is going to issue them a citation book?

BTW that's "roles" not "rolls", not that I care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your point is totally moot and irrelevant full of Internet bravado. What constable is going to issue traffic citations for what reason? There is absolutely nothing in it for them and what PD is going to issue them a citation book?

Yup, I'm full of Internet bravado.

I fixed the spelling error for you. I didn't re read what I wrote.

Well, in the hypothetical constable land the OP apparently lives in, gvd0006 would **** with him, if, hypothetically, pulled over by him. That alright? Not that you care.

IF, and that's a big if, the PD gives a constable a citation book, that means the constable has the blessing of said PD to do traffic stops. And if you then decide to screw with the constable and call the PD (or 911), then you will just make matters worse for yourself.

IF, and that's a big if, the PD gives a constable a citation book, that means the constable has the blessing of said PD to do traffic stops. And if you then decide to screw with the constable and call the PD (or 911), then you will just make matters worse for yourself.

I would be calling 911 regardless, because I was being pulled over by something other than a marked squad car.

The only "cool" thing about being a constable is you get to OC all the time. As long as you have your badge on your belt next to your holster, then OC away. I did it for years that way.

I wish you could buy LE guns! If that were true, I would still be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom