• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering Multi-focal Contacts...

TLB

I have been wearing cheaters for a few years now (I'm old, but not as old as dirt yet) and they work fine usually - unless the angle of view is outside of the lens (I do a lot of work with my hands on a daily basis). But they are a pain - falling on the ground, putting on and off constantly, etc. etc.

I have good vision at distance and have never worn contacts. I have bifocal sunglasses (no script at distance and cheaters in the bottom to see the dashboard while driving). While I have never worn contacts, I really am thinking of trying multi-focal contacts. It seems to work better than the old monovision method from what I have read on the internet.

Curious to hear people's success stories or not with multi-focal contact lenses and what type they are...concentric, aspheric, or segmented. I am more intrigued by concentric and ashperic because sometimes I need to see close above my head, not just looking down my nose.

One concern I have is whether the close up vision is clear enough for fine detail work.

Also, have no idea of cost.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I wear multifocal lenses and I love them. Mine are reverse, I see perfect up close and need help at distance. I tried several brands and settled on Alcon Dailies Total 1. They are expensive but worth it.

I haven’t tried the multi-focals, my eye doctor says most patients who try them don’t like them. I have had mono vision lens for years and for me it works well.

I haven’t tried the multi-focals, my eye doctor says most patients who try them don’t like them. I have had mono vision lens for years and for me it works well.
I think that information is outdated from what I have read. Many places talk about 70 to 80% success rate or higher with modern multi-focal lenses.

I have them in one eye. Have no idea of the type. Overall they are working OK. Not as good as my original eyesight but better than without these days. Corrective lenses are a compromise. You'll likely never see as good as when you didnt need them, but these are a good second best.
You can dial them in for what fits your lifestyle. My original set had a better up close vision and not so great distance. The Dr. changed the script 2 times and we arrived at a set that fits my lifestyle. I can drive, read, watch TV, trap shoot and look down the barrel at iron sights pretty well. For fine detail, I need to put on some cheaters. You should be able to get free trial pairs. Try a few out, don't settle till your happy. Id say I'm good 80%-90% of the time.

love mine.. I think I have AirOptix. -2.0+M is my prescription. I find that they dry out quick.. when they do, I lose the close-in vision.. Otherwise they're much better than the cheater readers.

TLB,
I'm in the same situation (vision wise) as you are.
I didn't like them... everything within 10 ft was fine but outside of that my vision was worse with them, it's definitely a compromise. I tried lenses in both eyes, left eye only and right eye only...nothing worked. too bad because I wanted them for bow hunting (couldn't see the pin sight), with the lenses in I could see the sight but couldn't make out if the deer was a buck or doe at distance. I hope you have better luck (if you try them) than I.

TLB,
I'm in the same situation (vision wise) as you are.
I didn't like them... everything within 10 ft was fine but outside of that my vision was worse with them, it's definitely a compromise. I tried lenses in both eyes, left eye only and right eye only...nothing worked. too bad because I wanted them for bow hunting (couldn't see the pin sight), with the lenses in I could see the sight but couldn't make out if the deer was a buck or doe at distance. I hope you have better luck (if you try them) than I.
Have you tried a sight set up on your bow that takes corrective lenses. A +.50 diopter can help see those front sights better.

Most concerned with everyday use. Also, I'm pretty active...can't read my phone without cheaters at all anymore which is a pain. Dealing with cheaters when biking or at the beach sucks.

Most concerned with everyday use. Also, I'm pretty active...can't read my phone without cheaters at all anymore which is a pain. Dealing with cheaters when biking or at the beach sucks.
I know the feeling...:(

love mine.. I think I have AirOptix. -2.0+M is my prescription. I find that they dry out quick.. when they do, I lose the close-in vision.. Otherwise they're much better than the cheater readers.

Make sure you have the new Air Optix with Hydroglyde. They added a layer of lubricant over the non-HG version.........

I have been wearing cheaters for a few years now (I'm old, but not as old as dirt yet) and they work fine usually - unless the angle of view is outside of the lens (I do a lot of work with my hands on a daily basis). But they are a pain - falling on the ground, putting on and off constantly, etc. etc.

I have good vision at distance and have never worn contacts. I have bifocal sunglasses (no script at distance and cheaters in the bottom to see the dashboard while driving). While I have never worn contacts, I really am thinking of trying multi-focal contacts. It seems to work better than the old monovision method from what I have read on the internet.

Curious to hear people's success stories or not with multi-focal contact lenses and what type they are...concentric, aspheric, or segmented. I am more intrigued by concentric and ashperic because sometimes I need to see close above my head, not just looking down my nose.

One concern I have is whether the close up vision is clear enough for fine detail work.

Also, have no idea of cost.

Thanks in advance.

TLB

This all depends on your prescription and your expectations. I have many patients that love or hate the multifocal contact lenses. They work well only in certain situations. Ask your eye doctor......and make sure he is well versed in fitting multifocal contacts.

Back
Top Bottom