• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering move out of New England.

roccoracer

NES Member
My wife and I are putting a lot of thought into leaving New England. I am leaning on going south east. Can any of you who live in the south east share your thoughts on the area. By south east I mean from North Carolina down and as far West as Tennessee.
How are the schools, taxes etc?
I am an Elevator constructor so work is not normally hard to find. I could probably land a job before I moved.
I know the gun laws will be more favorable than here in Massachusetts but please share your thoughts on that as well.
Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Iv been looking into it for 3 years now. NC and FL.
I go to FL once a year. I love it more n more each time.
Thigns that worry me: economy is less stable. Companies tend to move away from those areas once they grow (not all but several). Tornados and other physical disasters are more common.
Unkmown to me school system.

Cost of living in big metropolitan cities doesn't differ much.

May i I ask what are your motives for considering it? Sometimes that itself answers if you should do
it
or not.

I keep hearing lots of good stuff about NC, especially from my brother and his wife who've lived in 5 different states and lived for 12 years near Raleigh/Durham and say it's the best place they've ever lived.

Thigns that worry me: economy is less stable. Companies tend to move away from those areas once they grow (not all but several). Tornados and other physical disasters are more common.

May i I ask what are your motives for considering it? Sometimes that itself answers if you should do
it
or not.
There are several reasons why we are considering it.
1. My wife suffers with M.S symptoms. (No diagnosis but is being monitored) she finds the cold harder and harder to deal with.
2. Taxes
3. Gun laws (big deal for me not her)
There are more just not as important.

Excluding #1, PERSONALLY I find hard to believe that the others are worthy reasons for such a big move.
Do you have he ability to go there for 2 weeks? Explore as much as you can?

Excluding #1, PERSONALLY I find hard to believe that the others are worthy reasons for such a big move.
Do you have he ability to go there for 2 weeks? Explore as much as you can?
Taxes are a big deal for me. I am not a huge fan of Florida (was stationed there 95-98) but moving there would save me $8k a year in state income taxes alone. It would be VERY easy to find a job and we have family down there. My brother owns a home nearly twice the size of mine and he pays 1/4 the property taxes in Alabama. I am also an avid hunter and fisherman and the south east I'd hard to beat.
I think we would rent first to be sure the grass is truly greener before I bought another house.
We certainly have to put a lot more thought into it. I am looking for posts exactly like yours to get my gears turning and to be sure we are not missing anything.
Thank you

it
or not.

I moved to FL a couple years ago and didn't like it. The area I was in (SWFL) just didn't have a good enough economy and the weather was brutal.

After 13 months there I packed up and moved again, this time to Raleigh. I absolutely love it here. Plenty of great jobs, low cost of living and the gun laws are reasonable.

Taxes are a big deal for me. I am not a huge fan of Florida (was stationed there 95-98) but moving there would save me $8k a year in state income taxes alone. It would be VERY easy to find a job and we have family down there. My brother owns a home nearly twice the size of mine and he pays 1/4 the property taxes in Alabama. I am also an avid hunter and fisherman and the south east I'd hard to beat.
I think we would rent first to be sure the grass is truly greener before I bought another house.
We certainly have to put a lot more thought into it. I am looking for posts exactly like yours to get my gears turning and to be sure we are not missing anything.
Thank you

Now you are talking.
Although $8k in income tax can quickly be overran by a lower salary the rest absolutely matter a lot in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

I moved to FL a couple years ago and didn't like it. The area I was in (SWFL) just didn't have a good enough economy and the weather was brutal.

After 13 months there I packed up and moved again, this time to Raleigh. I absolutely love it here. Plenty of great jobs, low cost of living and the gun laws are reasonable.
What about the weather you didn't like?
i was thinking between Daytona and Jacksonvile for me. Or Tarpon Springs.

1. My wife suffers with M.S symptoms. (No diagnosis but is being monitored) she finds the cold harder and harder to deal with.
2. Taxes

In terms of No. 1, my mother-in-law has MS and she can't deal with the heat. I believe that heat makes the symptoms show up/get worse. I've never seen her have an attack but this is what my wife tells me.

2. Anywhere is better than MA
3. ditto

Good luck whatever you decide

2. Taxes

#1 Sorry brother, I will hope for the best for you with respect to #1.
2. While I don't live in NC, I was stationed there, and go there often for work and vacation. It is amazing. Not sure of the educational system up to college, but you cannot beat the cost of UNC if you are a resident. UMASS resident tuition and fees is $14k+, UNC is $8.8k. I consider this a tax in a nontraditional sense. Cost of living is also considerably less depending on which sector you are looking at. Property tax is a fraction of here and your house there will be more affordable than here in terms of replicating your house size there after selling here.
3. Know their laws which are different and far more lax than here in most cases.

I agree with Olympus on seeing if you go on vacation there or an extended visit.

I keep hearing lots of good stuff about NC, especially from my brother and his wife who've lived in 5 different states and lived for 12 years near Raleigh/Durham and say it's the best place they've ever lived.

^^this. My brother in laws brothers family moved from MA to Raleigh about 15 years ago and raised their family there. They said it was the best move they made and rarely ever come back even for a visit.

Take a look at Georgia. I was looking at South Carolina and North Carolina as well. Chose Coastal Georgia, just east of Savannah and am very happy here.

Consider the density of population of your destination in your plans. While the higher the density, the more dingbat liberals usually try to screw up your freedom, but that higher level also offers opportunities for consumerism. Do you like fine dining, convenient shopping, active shooting clubs and competitions? Some of these things are less likely to be found is lower populations because there isn't sufficient demand to support them.

I think a previous suggestion to spend a few weeks in the places you're looking at is good. In my case I moved from New York to Ohio but was able to commute for 8 months before I bought a new home and committed the family. I was able to find the best schools for the kids, but for some odd reason the shooting community here is much less active. Got more home for the money, but didn't save on property tax because I wanted a neighborhood with better schools. Lots and lots of trade-offs.

Overall, the substantially higher quality of life living in a free state overrides all of the down sides.

I moved to Mass for a great job opportunity but am from Tennessee. My prior assignments had me traveling extensively throughout the southeast and working with team members in the various states, so I have good familiarity with the region.

North Carolina is a beautiful state with a generally good culture, but it has been steadily moving left-ward. I kid and refer to NC as the NJ of the South. I've seen studies comparing total individual tax burden that indicate NC ~20th nationwide, vs. TN at ~48th. Raleigh Durham is a nice area, and further west is gorgeous and laid back. If you don't mind the higher taxes and want to be closer to New England in terms of distance (and culture), NC is ok. Seems like a lot of folks move there from the northeast. Schools are decent, but you will need to do your homework to ensure that you select the good ones.

You have an idea of the property tax difference between here and Alabama- Tennessee is very close to that. Assessed values tend to be generous to the low side, and rates are much lower. My property tax there vs. here would be close to 1/4 of what I pay now. I'll give you a few positives regarding Tennessee- in particular the region near Nashville:

- Don't be surprised: Great healthcare in Nashville. In case you need upper tier healthcare, Nashville is almost as good as Boston.
- Low taxes, as mentioned. In fact, zero state income tax. Also no ankle-biter add on taxes like paying dog tax, or extra dog tax because my Rottweiler has his nuts.
- Gun friendly. Not many laws beyond fed law, and it's one of those states that would buck fed law if it became too oppressive. No stupid 'gotcha' laws like the Mass storage / ammo laws. Also home of Hickok45, LOL.
- Nice scenery & lots of outdoors activities.
- Very good hunting and outstanding fishing. You can even hook tailwater stripers, locally known as rockfish. State record is 65 lbs and plenty of big ones are caught all the time. I fished medium to small rivers for smallmouth and trout. You probably saw the news regarding the recently bagged apparent world record buck from Sumner County- just north of Nashville.
- Very good schools if you look for them. Willliamson County (SW of Nashville) has many nationally ranked blue ribbon schools. There are terrible schools in some areas, but those are easily avoided with minimal homework.
- The Nashville area is not too native-centric. Lots of transplant folks and local 'natives' are accustomed to it.
- Generally low crime, and 'higher' (relatively) crime areas are easy to avoid. Downtown is very safe.
- Generally friendly, positive culture. If you have even a little 'm@sshole' in you, before moving I suggest you give it away in a NES karma. [wink]
- I completely disagree with others regarding stability of the local economy. I was 'killing it' in the southeast during years that other regions were tanking, and growth has been steady throughout all years. Business continues to thrive in TN- it's one of the most 'business friendly' states in the union.

Negs are weather related: The occasional winter ice storm, hot humid summers, and rarely there may be a tornado. On the positive side, you still have the 4 seasons, though spring lasts about 2 weeks, LOL.

Glad to discuss in more detail- you can PM me for my number.

2. Taxes

Probably want to S-can FL if taxes are an issue. I have a professional acquaintance that sold his FL condo several years ago b/c the fees were just outrageous. Not the condo fees. Water fee. Street fee. Air fee. Grass fee. Heartbeat fee. He said his property taxes were OK, but when you added in the fees, it was crazy again.

This is not for ALL of FL, but be sure you know what you are walking into.

Raleigh/Durham proper is not a real safe place.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/raleigh/crime/

Most cities in the South East are pretty tough. I think some of it is b/c it isn't witches-bewb cold 4-5 months out of the year and their winter "stats" make up for the lower Northern crime.

Plus side is a nice baseball team.

I've considered it a few times for when I get older. Two years ago, I would have moved then. Now? Not so much.

But if medical is an issue, blow. Get out. Don't hang around here. NC isn't TOO far south but isn't too far north. It won't be 80 in January but it won't be 95 for many days in the summer. (More than here, less than, say, Orlando.)

Best to your wife.

My sister and her husband live in NC along the coast about 40 north of Myrtle Beach, SC. They love it there, especially for the mild winter months. They do complain that it is a lot more humid down there than in MA, but it's not a show stopper for them. They just go out on their boat. They've also experienced several hurricanes without any problems.

My sister and her husband live in NC along the coast about 40 north of Myrtle Beach, SC. They love it there, especially for the mild winter months. They do complain that it is a lot more humid down there than in MA, but it's not a show stopper for them. They just go out on their boat. They've also experienced several hurricanes without any problems.

Are they around the Sunset Beach area? I went to a couple of conferences there and that general area is pretty nice. My brother is going to retire there.

I can share my experiences about TN. I escaped from MA about a year and a half ago.

Taxes: No state income tax; sales tax is 9.25%; property tax is roughly half of what I paid in metro Boston and is determined by county.

Schools: totally dependent on what county you are in. Here in Middle TN, Williamson county is known for their good public schools and you pay a premium for that (home prices higher relative to other counties).

Jobs in Nashville area are probably good for you as The city is rapidly expanding. There are cranes everywhere so I assume all these building need elevators if I understand your job correctly.

Gun laws: way better, obviously. No permit needed to purchase. Permit required to conceal carry. Strong castle law. State preemption laws.

Culture in south much different than northeast (obviously). Still getting used to it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I are putting a lot of thought into leaving New England. I am leaning on going south east. Can any of you who live in the south east share your thoughts on the area. By south east I mean from North Carolina down and as far West as Tennessee.
I am an Elevator constructor so work is not normally hard to find. I could probably land a job before I moved.
I know the gun laws will be more favorable than here in Massachusetts but please share your thoughts on that as well.
Thank you.

Baldwin County, Alabama is nice. Quiet, near Mobile Bay and Gulf Shores. Baldwin County Sheriff's Department is the licensing authority. Pistol license is "shall issue" and takes about 30 minutes or so to complete background check and photographs. Cost is $100 for 5 years, no restrictions on carry and is honored in 24 other states. Inexpensive, brand new real estate as well. Wife and I still have a vacation home there.

Baldwin County, Alabama is nice. Quiet, near Mobile Bay and Gulf Shores. Baldwin County Sheriff's Department is the licensing authority. Pistol license is "shall issue" and takes about 30 minutes or so to complete background check and photographs. Cost is $100 for 5 years, no restrictions on carry and is honored in 24 other states. Inexpensive, brand new real estate as well. Wife and I still have a vacation home there.

Assuming i'm not a crusty old yankee but polite and genuinely happy to be visiting there, how is Alabama towards folks from away? I'm curious as what little I know of the area I like.

we moved from New Hampshire in 2015 to the very western part of South Carolina ( UpState)- on Lake Keowee , near Greenville. We like it here a lot - reaL estate taxes are 1/10th of what I was paying in NH, and this house is bigger and on the lake. We pay $143 / month for electricity - and this covers ALL heat, air conditioning, cooking, hot water, lights...We DID get about an inch of snow last week ( or the week before), but it was gone within a day or 2. Being in the foothills of the Mountains, doesn't get as hot and humid as near the coast, and you still have the 4 seasons here. People are polite and friendly, that took a bit to get used to...

I would love to hear anything that either of you guys can tell Me about the greater Knoxville area, specifically North or West of the city. I plan on listing my house soon and I am looking to relocate to that area.

I'm not really familiar with specifics on Knoxville. I'm in Nashville which is in Middle TN, while Knoxville is about 180 miles east of me. Sorry can't be of more help, but the general stuff I commented on before would generally apply to Knoxville as well, aside from local job market specifics. I hear many people comment on how they really like Knoxville, and it's on the more mountainous region of East TN, so if you're into outdoor stuff it may be a plus for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

We moved out of MA is 2008. Best thing we ever did.
Lived in Greensboro until the kids graduated from high school. The Northwest Guilford middle and high school are ranked in the top 1%.
My daughter had enough credits from AP classes that she had Sophomore credits while she was a Freshman.
Some people will try comparing MA SAT scores to NC but they don;t compare. In MA, the SAT test is self selecting. in NC, everybody takes the SAT.
We took a 40% cut in household income moving down because my wife stopped working. Yet we live better than we did on two incomes in MA.
Auto insurance? In MA we had 2 ten year old Jeeps and we paid more for just liability 100/300 than we did down here wil 2 new cars, and two young adult drivers on a 250/500 policy with a $1M umbrella liability.
Homes? Our current home is 2800 sqf 4+ bedroom 2.5 bath on a half acre than we paid $192K for. You will not find that in MA or southern NH unless your are maybe out past Amherst.
NC State college system is excellent as well. And a damn sight more affordable than UMass.
My daughter is studying physics and doing undergrad astrophysics research with plans for grad school in astrophysics.

And. No magazine limits. Shall issue CCH that is good in 36 states. No "one gun a month" crap.
Check Zillow to get an idea on home prices in the specific areas you are considering.
Another plus. No limit on how high you can lift a 4X4. Big Foot is street legal in NC.

Back
Top Bottom