Considering move out of New England.

In NC you need a permit to purchase a handgun??
No thanks.
Not a carry permit. Pistol purchase permit. Shall issue.
The state was controlled by democrats for 110 year. We couldn't get everything.
This was their way of closing the private sale "loophole."
If you have a CCH no individual purchase permit is needed.
Not an ideal system but a lot better than MA.
Private in state sales do not have to go through an FFL.
Open carry without a permit.
Unfortunately when R's had both houses and the gov they pissed it away without undoing some of the stupid shi7.

As it should be.
I drove up to MA with my modified 4 door Rubicon. Sat up on 37's. No inspection sticker.
Was driving around the Logan loop waiting for my wife to get back in from PR. Rolled through terminal C. Trooper gives me the evil eye after looking at the tires and no stickah. Watches me as I roll past then looked a little more pissed when he saw the NC plate. [emoji12] [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

... but the general stuff I commented on before would generally apply to Knoxville as well, aside from local job market specifics. I hear many people comment on how they really like Knoxville, and it's on the more mountainous region of East TN, so if you're into outdoor stuff it may be a plus for you.

The outdoor stuff is exactly why I am attracted to the region. Shooting, hunting, fishing, ATV trails etc. are all the items at the top of my wish list. Job market does not matter to Me as I am retiring.

I just need to make sure that I do not end up in one of their dry counties. I'll be damned if I'm going to live somewhere where I have to drive an hour just to pick up a six pack.

I too would be interested in what folks in the south east have to say.

We considered west Texas (Midland, Abilene, Lubbock, Amarillo) dry heat and cool nights, strong economy, and one of the lowest overall tax burdens in the country. However, the distances separating major transportation and medical centers just seemed too daunting.

So our focus is now on South Carolina. We have also not ruled out Georgia. We have however ruled on North Carolina as it is trending liberal and the gun laws appear to give an uncomfortable amount of discretion to the local sheriffs.

Roccoracer, I would suggest narrowing down a couple locations and then start making visits -- the wife and I will be touring around SC for a week or two this summer to get a feel for the different areas we have identified. Plan is to narrow it down further and then pay more visits going forward as we are looking 3 to 5 years out.

I hope I am not suffering from "the grass is always greener" syndrome.
I remember being told in the Marine Corps that you could ask anybody and the response would be the same, the only good duty station was the one they just left or the one they were going to next, it was never the one they were at.

Good luck to you Roccoracer and my best wishes that your wife's condition works out to be a false alarm.

P.S.> This site is a great tool for comparing climate data for cites - select Boston or Worcester as your reference and make comparisons.
http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/

I moved from NE after nearly 50 years and moved to MO. No regrets. Lower cost of living, great people and great gun laws. Love it here

Every town and school is different. Check schools at greatschools.org

I would love to hear anything that either of you guys can tell Me about the greater Knoxville area, specifically North or West of the city. I plan on listing my house soon and I am looking to relocate to that area.

I highly suggest going west if you are considering Knoxville. Nice area and growing.

- - - Updated - - -

In NC you need a permit to purchase a handgun??
No thanks.

Another reason why I call NC the NJ of the South...

If your wife is going to have some medical issues in the near future you might want to put a little more weight on that issue and find an area with good hospitals and doctors with a great reputation in that field of medicine that she needs. Low taxes and better gun laws are nice to have but we are all going to need health care at some point in our lives, if you end up in an area with quacks and marginal care you'll eventually come to regret your decision to move to that area especially when you find yourself driving hundreds of miles to find a good doctor.

If your wife is going to have some medical issues in the near future you might want to put a little more weight on that issue and find an area with good hospitals and doctors with a great reputation in that field of medicine that she needs. Low taxes and better gun laws are nice to have but we are all going to need health care at some point in our lives, if you end up in an area with quacks and marginal care you'll eventually come to regret your decision to move to that area especially when you find yourself driving hundreds of miles to find a good doctor.

This is good advice. I don't feel that old; but considering that I have grandchildren I must be getting up there.

One of the reasons that we stayed on the coast is so that we can access I-95 and major airports easily. Not just for medical facilities, but everything. We have very good medical facilities in our region, but even better ones not too far away...

The best thing about moving down to say North Carolina you will feel at home with all the liberals from MA who have moved down there and the humidity we get here in July for a few weeks you can have most of the year [smile]

In terms of No. 1, my mother-in-law has MS and she can't deal with the heat. I believe that heat makes the symptoms show up/get worse. I've never seen her have an attack but this is what my wife tells me.

2. Anywhere is better than MA
3. ditto

Good luck whatever you decide

This.

My sister has secondary progressive MS and anytime the temp gets above 60°F she starts going downhill really fast, basically it's like her whole body turns into a giant melty marshmallow(her AC runs full blast from early spring to early winter). She complains about being cold all the time but if you were touch her calf/arm it feels like she's got a sunburn and tossing tons of heat.

Baldwin County is beautiful, but it's growing very quickly. Crime is low, but not non existent. Baldwin County is the most conservative county in the most conservative state in the country. The people on the gulf coast of AL are very friendly. Gun laws are as 308rifleman says. I went with my son when he went to renew a couple of years ago. It took 10 minutes, start to finish.

Baldwin County is growing quickly, there are something like 500 houses either being built or in the planning stages. Fairhope and Spanish Fort are two very nice cities, Daphne less so, but not bad.

The trick is to live in Baldwin County, but work in Mobile. Mobile is on the verge of a boom. Airbus just went operational with their first US civil aviation facility at the former Brookley Airport There are other business moving in as well.

My son and his family move their from NJ five years ago. If they could, they'd stay there forever, but he is in the running for a promotion that would require them to move. That job, if he gets it, would be in Charlotte, NC. Apparently a lot of people he knows up there work in Charlotte, but live in York County, SC. From what my son has told me, the cost of living and taxes are much lower in SC. A couple of the towns have really good school systems.

Nashville would be second on my list of relocation spots after central Texas. Friendly people, cosmopolitan city, very good gun laws. I've never been to Knoxville, but I've been through it. Very pretty, but might be a bit more liberal than you'd like.

NC is not on my list of places to move at all. I know a lot of people who have moved their and love it, but I don't want to be in a purple trending blue state.

Mountains longish post matches what I've experienced in much of the south. Very friendly people, lots of gun owners, lots of outdoor stuff to do.

Baldwin County, Alabama is nice. Quiet, near Mobile Bay and Gulf Shores. Baldwin County Sheriff's Department is the licensing authority. Pistol license is "shall issue" and takes about 30 minutes or so to complete background check and photographs. Cost is $100 for 5 years, no restrictions on carry and is honored in 24 other states. Inexpensive, brand new real estate as well. Wife and I still have a vacation home there.

Another reason why I call NC the NJ of the South...

Hardly...everytime I'm down there I see some one open carrying in NC....and yeah, NFA, suppessors...etc...no problem. NC does have higher taxes and more immigrants from the north than SC. But I could live in either state with no issues.

Tennessee is a bit too far from the ocean for me...but I would like to check it out sometime, for retirement it would be a good place to look at.

Florida...No way. Love to visit in the winter....would not want to live there.

I'd move to Southern Missouri in a heartbeat if there was work for me there. That's God's country there in the Ozarks.

By the way, if you move to the South don't f' it up with your Northern ways. Integrate... it is a different world down there. Except Florida. Florida's too far gone.

Last edited:
Iv been looking into it for 3 years now. NC and FL.
I go to FL once a year. I love it more n more each time.
Thigns that worry me: economy is less stable. Companies tend to move away from those areas once they grow (not all but several). Tornados and other physical disasters are more common.
Unkmown to me school system.

Cost of living in big metropolitan cities doesn't differ much.

May i I ask what are your motives for considering it? Sometimes that itself answers if you should do
it
or not.

I had two offers in Florida. I rejected both.

One thing to also keep in mind is ranges. If you shoot rifles, ranges in FL are horrible. Most of them make you pay per day. Even the ones that use the concept of a yearly membership make you pay a fee every day.

On top of that, transportation. Without a car you can't get anywhere in Florida.

Traffic - horrible. People don't know how to drive. The don't know there are things such as turn signals.

Cubans - big fat Cubans will stare you down. Call me racist, I don't care. I'm from Argentina and talk sh@t about everyone in LATAM and most of the Caribbean. Deal with it.

Last edited:
I had two offers in Florida. I rejected both.

One thing to also keep in mind is ranges. If you shoot rifles, ranges in FL are horrible. Most of them make you pay per day. Even the ones that use the concept of a yearly membership make you pay a fee every day.

On top of that, transportation. Without a car you can't get anywhere in Florida.

Traffic - horrible. People don't know how to drive. The don't know there are things such as turn signals.

Cubans - big fat Cubans will stare you down. Call me racist, I don't care. I'm from Argentina and talk sh@t about everyone in LATAM and most of the Caribbean. Deal with it.

I had no idea about the ranges. Seems like you are describing the Miami area.
If you have driven in MA/CT please don't tell me anything about turn signals or traffic in FL. Again not in the areas I visited.

if i had to move NC or SC would be on my list...i'd want to stay near the coast and have a little more summer time but not florida, texas or southern cali hot...if i had to move away from the coast i'd probably look at colorado for the mountains, hiking, mountain biking, skiing, atv, dirt biking, etc...but i don't think i'll be moving into any red state on this map with my dogs...

http://bslcensus.com/

Assuming i'm not a crusty old yankee but polite and genuinely happy to be visiting there, how is Alabama towards folks from away? I'm curious as what little I know of the area I like.
Good people, Polite and honest. Our vacation home in Foley,Alabama is in a gated community. Built in 2016 and is 1,700 square feet, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, huge walk-in master bedroom closet with Jack and Jill large double bath. Two car garage. We paid $169,000, brand new construction so there were no remodeling issues. One of our neighbors is a retired Boston cop. Others are retirees from the Midwest. We are exactly 9 miles from the beach. Pensacola is to the east, about 30 minutes away.

Back
Top Bottom