• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

considering Kel-tec sub 2000, anyone got experience?

So i'm in the market for a pistol caliber rifle, and this one peaked my interest due to it's foldability. does anyone have any insight on these guns, I've never touched one myself before.

They're fun but not as accurate as the Ruger PC rifles. The plastic sights are hard for some people to get used to but I can shoot my 9mm Sub2000 pretty well to about 50 yards.

Don't fall for the accessory crap thats available and just shoot it for what it is. One more thing... it helps to use a Dremel and polish the feed ramp if you want to shoot hollow points through them.

Agree with Ray, I have 2, 1 that takes Glock mags and the other takes Smith 59 mags. As Ray says, forget the aftermarket crap, they are fun to shoot, a great camper gun since they fold, accuracy is not that bad after, all it is a 9mm round. Within 50 yds they are deadly, although I have been hitting the bowling pins at 100yds, aim 8-10 inches high, but overall a very fun gun.

The only mod I ever liked for them was the aftermarket front sight. I understand the stock one breaks easily.

Thanks for the insight! I like the idea of a quad rail, but looks like the aftermarket one is crappy. Anyone know if it's hard to put a RIS rail on top of the stock handguard?

I love my Sub2000. It is as accurate as the 9mm rounds I put through it. Out to 35yds I can rapid fire 3in groups as fast as I can pull the trigger. With care I can hit things out to 100yds but you need to understand the ballistics (drop) of the 9mm round. It is hands down the most fun thing to shoot in my collection and it is not a small collection. It folds up and fits in a laptop case.

Because of the way it folds you do not want to put anything on top of the stock hand guard. If you need an optic look at the folding kit that is out there. If you want lights or lasers look at the bottom rail kit.

When it was brand new (first 300 rounds) it would occasionally stovepipe on light (115gr) rounds but now it eats anything I feed it. After the break-in period I consider it to be perfectly reliable but on occasion someone at the range asks to fire it and gets a failure to eject. I tell them to give it a firm shoulder and the problem disappears.

-MS

Last edited:
The problem I see when a lot of people go to shoot mine is that they can't hold it right. Most tilt their head to the side and can't get a good sight picture instead of leaning into the gun and getting a good cheek weld.

The plastic sights are hard for some people to get used to but I can shoot my 9mm Sub2000 pretty well to about 50 yards.

Don't fall for the accessory crap thats available and just shoot it for what it is.

It's an awesome $300 sub-gun. Lightweight, portable, and extremely fun to shoot.

This is about how I feel on them. Mine is a 9mm that takes my 92FS mags. I paid $350 for mine and I think that's on the high end of average price. So be careful what you pay, I saw one going for $600+ at a show in NH. It was still there when I left; I don't think anyone touched it at that price.

Also, if you do get one, be careful on how you clean it. If I'm remembering right you can lock it up if you don't take the bolt out properly. You'll have to send it back to the Kel Tec to have it fixed if that happens.

If you are a lefty I wouldn't recommend it. I have shot one that a friend owns and your face is very close to the ejection port, glasses are a must. As a lefty I ended up with a face full of partially burned powder.

If you are a lefty I wouldn't recommend it. I have shot one that a friend owns and your face is very close to the ejection port, glasses are a must. As a lefty I ended up with a face full of partially burned powder.

I am a south paw and I do have to be careful of how I position myself, but one should be mindful such things anyway...or I should walk in your world and just learn to shoot like you right-handed devils.[devil]

Also, if you do get one, be careful on how you clean it. If I'm remembering right you can lock it up if you don't take the bolt out properly. You'll have to send it back to the Kel Tec to have it fixed if that happens.

If you pull the trigger while the bolt is out the hammer drops and prevents you from putting the bolt back in. You don't have to send it back in for anything, you just need to cock the hammer. This is accomplished by folding it and sticking a tool (something long and skinny like a screw driver or a length of a dowel rod or even a cleaning rod) in and pressing the hammer down.

I really enjoy mine too. Prices vary...I saw one at Riley's a week or so ago, don't recall the price but it was very reasonable, I think around #300. North Shore Firearms has had them on and off and said they can order one easily so I'm sure any FFL can too. I saw a cool home project where someone put a spring hinge (a door hinge) on top and mounted a rail for a red dot. The cool thing is that when you fold the rifle you just pull the red dot to the side and the spring puts it back in place and holds it there when you open it. This was from the KTOG forum.

My son made fun of me when I bought it, "what a POS", was his reaction. Now he drags it to the range ever chance he gets and loves it!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I had a Ruger SR9 9mm and wanted something 9mm in a rifle to go with it.
I always am looking for something different. I saw the Sub2K and when I found it would fold and go in my Harly Saddlebag that was it.
I got the Glock version and the Kel-Tec soft case. It holds 2 mags as well.
SR9 & Sub 2K fit in the bag and the bag fits in the Harley. I can take both to shoot while out for a ride as well.

Now as for acuracy goes. I am not the best shot , but my grandson can put 20 rounds in a 2-3" circle at 35-40 yards. He just makes one large round hole on the target. Wish I could do that!!! Hey he is 27 I am 68!!!
Only problem for me is ..I use the Pro-ears headset. I have to figure out how to hold it while wearing those Pro-ears.
Just my opinion
KK~!~

Back
Top Bottom