Considering career as federal LEO...Border patrol?

AFAIK It will count towards your total time but not towards your 20 needed LE time. This is based on friends who switched from CBPO to and 1811 .fed.

I found it in Title 5

"(c)(1) An employee who is separated from the service after becoming 50 years of age and completing 20 years of service as a law enforcement officer, firefighter, nuclear materials courier, or customs and border protection officer, or any combination of such service totaling at least 20 years, is entitled to an annuity"

I found it in Title 5

"(c)(1) An employee who is separated from the service after becoming 50 years of age and completing 20 years of service as a law enforcement officer, firefighter, nuclear materials courier, or customs and border protection officer, or any combination of such service totaling at least 20 years, is entitled to an annuity"

I’ll forward it along. Thank you. Some of the transfers were prior to 2004 so I wonder if that is what they were referring to.

I’ll forward it along. Thank you. Some of the transfers were prior to 2004 so I wonder if that is what they were referring to.

Things were still in 'flux' in the '04-06 years. A lot of reorganizing was still going on. CBPO's got their coverage a little later on, someone said '08 and that sounds about right. Now, it's a straight transfer. Don't get me started about CBPO's being LEO's. They are, kinda, sorta. That agency is micromanaged in most places, so if you like 'freedom' it's probably not the place for you.

I had this conversation with the CBPO equivalent of a PAIC/SAC, some feathers were ruffled, but I stand by what I say.

Typical BP muster is you get your area and you go. You don't see a supervisor until the end of shift unless you catch something way out of the norm. Regular arrests, up to and including large drug busts, don't have supervisor intervention except for him (edit: or her, dammit gotta be PC) to sign off on your paperwork. Everyone I know that went blue likes where they live, hate the work. If you don't have the background to miss the work, it's probably a good job. I'd rather my kids wear blue and stand out than go green. I don't want my kids to see what I've seen.

Things were still in 'flux' in the '04-06 years. A lot of reorganizing was still going on. CBPO's got their coverage a little later on, someone said '08 and that sounds about right. Now, it's a straight transfer. Don't get me started about CBPO's being LEO's. They are, kinda, sorta. That agency is micromanaged in most places, so if you like 'freedom' it's probably not the place for you.

I had this conversation with the CBPO equivalent of a PAIC/SAC, some feathers were ruffled, but I stand by what I say.

Typical BP muster is you get your area and you go. You don't see a supervisor until the end of shift unless you catch something way out of the norm. Regular arrests, up to and including large drug busts, don't have supervisor intervention except for him (edit: or her, dammit gotta be PC) to sign off on your paperwork. Everyone I know that went blue likes where they live, hate the work. If you don't have the background to miss the work, it's probably a good job. I'd rather my kids wear blue and stand out than go green. I don't want my kids to see what I've seen.

Except BPA's got totally screwed by BPPRA. The way one that went from green to blue explained it to me. In the Border Patrol, you love the 40 hours you work in a week and hate the other 128 hours in the week. With OFO (where I am), you hate the 40 hours you're in work, but like the quality of life the other 128 hours....

Except BPA's got totally screwed by BPPRA. The way one that went from green to blue explained it to me. In the Border Patrol, you love the 40 hours you work in a week and hate the other 128 hours in the week. With OFO (where I am), you hate the 40 hours you're in work, but like the quality of life the other 128 hours....

Get back in your booth.

BP has a higher guaranteed pay. OFO has better overall payouts. Which is better depends on where you are, if you get OT or not.
:D

But yes, I'd tend to agree with that for the most part. There's just so many places BP can work. OFO is literally anywhere that has a customs point of access.

Last edited:
Get back in your booth.

BP has a higher guaranteed pay. OFO has better overall payouts. Which is better depends on where you are, if you get OT or not.
:D

But yes, I'd tend to agree with that for the most part. There's just so many places BP can work. OFO is literally anywhere that has a customs point of access.

Only time i'm in a booth is on OT;).

The BPA premium pay isn't "guaranteed" for everyone, depending on whether you are at level 1. 2 or 3. And the royal screw job that the union gave BPA's is the premium pay is straight time. THAT is criminal

The BPA premium pay isn't "guaranteed" for everyone, depending on whether you are at level 1. 2 or 3. And the royal screw job that the union gave BPA's is the premium pay is straight time. THAT is criminal

Oh, that's when you get 45 ACT time. Anything after 10 hours is comp time. I've taken weeks of comp time off.

edit: When I was in South Texas, I asked if I could work a 6th day as comp time not 'overtime'. I got shot down. I don't know if 45 ACT is based on 'base pay', or BPRA 'base pay'.

edit of the edit: We are 'supposed' to be getting FLSA back. The bill if floating, but with this impeachment bs, I doubt they will get anything done. The Patrol will continue to bleed faster than we can hire.

Honestly no one wants to be a cop anymore and stepping stones are not as needed as before. If your from mass lots of local pd's need good people looking to do the job. Pm me if your looking for some local leads.

Oh, one more thing:
BPPRA pay is almost always tier 1 (100 hours) unless you submit for less pay differential. No vote gets you the 100 hour plan, not the 80 hour plan. Per statute, 90% of the staff has to be on the 100 hour plan, I have yet to hear of anyone being turned down for only 80 hours except for the last 3 years if you are conditional to retire.

Oh, one more thing:
BPPRA pay is almost always tier 1 (100 hours) unless you submit for less pay differential. No vote gets you the 100 hour plan, not the 80 hour plan. Per statute, 90% of the staff has to be on the 100 hour plan, I have yet to hear of anyone being turned down for only 80 hours except for the last 3 years if you are conditional to retire.
Kind of off the subject, but will the new BP contract improve anything?

not to rain on the parade, but....if/when the democrats have their way, there may be some downsizing going on within the border patrol sometime in the near future.

OP, what are your thoughts on oppressing Constitutional Rights of the People on behalf of corrupt, Statist Politicians?

Not as long as they're unionized federal employees.

They might want to change the mission or the agency, but they'll never vote to eliminate the employees.

Whether I agree with it or not, the Patrol flopped it on the table when they actively supported Trump. There's no way to politely pull it back off the table in politics. If there is ever a super majority of D's in both elected branches, I could see bad things for the Patrol. Cut the budget, change the mission, open the flood gates.

The D's aren't donkeys, they are elephants. They don't forget when you disagree with them.

Democrats don't downsize.

They can just stop hiring people and reduce numbers by attrition. USBP etc have been on a hiring spree for years. It doesn't take much for that to turn into a freeze.

-Mike

With college degree and interested in Fed.... there are the 3 letter agencies but also State Department. I hear SD is an interesting way to see the world if that interests you.

I've said this a few times on this site. Behavioral Detection Officer and the job leads to other great positions. DEA, ATF and a few others. I attended one of the 1st training classes back in the day and Air Marshal is a shitty job.

Back
Top Bottom