Considering buying revolver for conceal carry alternative ?

Love my model 60. Great feeling and easy to carry and shoot. The lightweight scandium .357's nice to carry just not fun to shoot IMHO.

I don't feel under gun with 5 shots plus a speed strip.

Or the ones that can out run someone shooting a M249 saw at them with 5000 rounds hitting everything but them...and it's 6 rounds 3 bad guys ----Always double tap----I plan on self defensethats how I train on that at the range now, my "Mindset" is different then my Army training of a Firefight or Recon by fire...
Perhaps not everyone believes what they see in the movies... You know, like 3 bullets to take down 3 badguys that are on the move[rolleyes]

What is that old saying about luck... It's when you have preparation and opportunity occuring at the same time. I'd like to prepared for the small percentage circumstances as well as the "higher" percentage ones.

I know I might get bashed, but part of me wishes police officers were issued .357 revolvers only. I think it would make them a might more disciplined with respect to shot placement and perhaps fewer "innocent bystanders" will have to receive compensation checks when the NYPD takes down an unarmed flasher in Times Square.

LOL. It might solve some of their ND incidents, or kids pulling triggers in holsters.

LOL. It might solve some of their ND incidents, or kids pulling triggers in holsters.

very true!

I don't own any revolvers, but definitely plan to grab one, or more. It's glad to see that many people say they conceal well, because I always thought that the cylinder diameter would be a downfall to hiding it. I guess maybe the odd shape helps to break up the outline or something?

SW 10-6....throw in 357 or some nasty 38's....lil easier to hide...ankle, pocket, etc. Easier than my SW 3rd gen...1006...thats tougher ha

I have this gun without the titanium (it's steel) cylinder and I love it. Great carry gun- light-powerful and reliable. The titanium cylinder makes it a couple hundred more. The steel cylinder may not be produced anymore.

FYI- Plymouth Bay Outfitters has this gun for 650ish- which is a good deal (used). Good luck.

Hammerless, light, fits in a pocket, wear it on your ankle and you'll forget it is there, etc.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

a 442 in a Sticky pocket holster and two speedloaders, everyday. Sometimes I change to a G33 in the winter, depending on clothing, etc.

I am very happy with my Ruger LCR .38 Sp/.357 magnum. The trigger is very smooth and gives no surprises. It being a snub nose, it requires a lot of practice to shoot accurately, but that's the nature of any snubber.

Easy to conceal. No hammer or sharp edges that can be caught in any clothes.

It being chambered in .357 makes it very versatile. Feed it a .357 magnum Vital-Shok 180 grain cast core, and it has the potential to stop a black bear. Feed it .38 Special 90 grain Critical Defense Lite, and my 98 year old grandmother can comfortable use it for self defense.

In the not too distant future, when Massachusetts laws allows for only one gun per household, my LCR .357 magnum is the one I will keep.

large.jpg
Looks like it could be really good for pocket carry.... yes?

I have the LCR in my pocket every day. Very easy to forget it's even there. But it always is, just in case.

I've only ever heard one legitimate reason for carrying a wheel gun for personal defense. If the person trying to kill you is right on you, and you press the muzzle on them, the gun will still fire since there is no slide. Seriously, that's it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've only ever heard one legitimate reason for carrying a wheel gun for personal defense. If the person trying to kill you is right on you, and you press the muzzle on them, the gun will still fire since there is no slide. Seriously, that's it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
you mean a real gun?

Really?

Well since most true self defence encounters are close range, that "reason" certainly hold some validity. There is definitely less complication to a revolver, so even though it has less capacity, it is a lot less likely to fail in a moment of need.

That's manure.
You must have never shot one or you'd realize even a snub nose is plenty accurate out to 21 feet and beyond.

That's manure.
You must have never shot one or you'd realize even a snub nose is plenty accurate out to 21 feet and beyond.

They are, but I find a pocket gun like a 642, which has minimal sights, to be hard to shoot accurately. I find my Kahr PM9 is much easier to shoot accurately, is easier to reload quickly, has a bit more capacity, and is easier to conceal in a pocket. YMMV.

They are, but I find a pocket gun like a 642, which has minimal sights, to be hard to shoot accurately. I find my Kahr PM9 is much easier to shoot accurately, is easier to reload quickly, has a bit more capacity, and is easier to conceal in a pocket. YMMV.

true, however I am not sold on the notion that in a self defense situation I am going to be aiming. Strictly point shooting.

Collectors in Stoneham has used one. I've shot them before. Extremely unpleasant with .357 ammo.

Hammerless, light, fits in a pocket, wear it on your ankle and you'll forget it is there, etc.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y[/QUOTE

I like that. Are they available in this area?

- - - Updated - - -

true, however I am not sold on the notion that in a self defense situation I am going to be aiming. Strictly point shooting.

Or reloading for that matter.

Exactly right. If you have to wait until your life is in "imminent danger" in order to legally shoot, it's going to be close-in, every time, I would think, hence the imminence. For obvious reasons, whatever gun you carry, you need to be really comfortable with shooting it competently AND have confidence in its ability to do its job. And for non-imminent situations... really... carry pepper spray, you'll save yourself a lot of legal hassles.

I have carried a S&W model 66, 2" barrel and a Colt defender. Both great carry guns for self defense, not the best when you want to take on the terrorist's. Thats what rifles are for.

very true!

I don't own any revolvers, but definitely plan to grab one, or more. It's glad to see that many people say they conceal well, because I always thought that the cylinder diameter would be a downfall to hiding it. I guess maybe the odd shape helps to break up the outline or something?

They are "rounder" than a semi which have real squared off hard edges.

Capacity??? Really, if you have to depend on more rounds; maybe you need more range time....
Considering that there's another thread with guys talking about carrying 15 rounds in 9mm with 2 spare mags, I didn't think it was a stupid question. But I hope to someday be a superior shot such as yourself, hopelly someday! Eye roll....

Back
Top Bottom