Considering Acrhery - Where Do I Start?

Looking for some advice. I am considering getting in to archery, which is something I know very little about. I'm interested in target shooting and possibly some turkey hunting down the road. Can someone offer me some guidance on where to get started? What do I need (other than the obvious), what can I expect to spend, where to shop, clubs or organizations for shooting, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Check out USArchery.org to get a feel for what's happening out there in the target archery world.

Search for local JOAD programs in your area where you can absolutely find good contacts and likely ranges and equipment. The JOAD programs are aimed at the youth BUT the coaches are typically a good source of information.

Send me a PM if these thoughts don't help and we can find you what you need.

What to spend is equally as complex a question as asking what gun to buy first. The answer is "It Depends".

It's been awhile since I've done archery, but I would advise an archery shop near you. I've heard lots of good things about Big Al's in Seabrook NH, but there may be others near you. The most important thing is that the bow fits you. If it doesn't, pretty much nothing else matters. Find a place you trust and take their advice.

If you are in the area, contact Larry Sullivan at Riverside Gun Club in Hudson, MA. He's on the USA Olympic Archery coaching staff, and knows his stuff. More importantly, he knows how to teach. His beginner classes are very popular. Riverside even has a special membership just for college students who come to this area to go to school and train under Larry.

I'm sure that a talk with him and maybe some classes and you'll be able to make your own choice about gear.

Depending on your location here are a couple options. Jerry's in Milford,Ma or Morse Sporting Goods in southern NH. This is a start. Both are archery, "Pro Shops" w/years of experience. It's best to have them fit you to a bow. All bows will feel,draw and hold different. You should be able to get a descent ready-to-shoot starter bow for around $500.00. Something to keep in mind is the "Support" you get when you buy from a pro shop. Replacing a string ,axle etc. is not a DIY job. If you buy elsewhere can you bring it to the local pro shop ? Sure. BUT, if you have a problem the day before the season open's, it's likely your, "Internet" bow will go to the end of the repair line. Just my 2 cent's..............................

Lots of good advice in the above posts. Bows need to be sized and fitted to the person. It is imperative that you go to a local pro shop to get fitted and at least some starter lessons.

Bob

B WASP.jpg
I just got a new (older made) Browning Wasp Bow for Christmas.
My father is real big into traditional archery. He hunts with a 40 year old Hoyt stick bow.
So now I'm kind of back in the archery game.
I just need to find the right arrows to go with this recurve bow of mine.

smitty

Last edited:
+1 on Jerry's archery shop in Milford Ma. Not only is Jerry one of the best at setting up a bow hes also an avid bow hunter himself. Stay clear of Bass Pro Shops the idiot ruined 3 of my arrows i was trying to get fixed .

Bob's Gun and Archery in Webster is also very good! I would highly recommend him. Jerry is very good as well. The only problem I have with Jerry's is if the locals are there it could take you all day to get your bow set up as they wont let him get any work done. Jerry used to run an archery league at his old shop, not sure about the new one.

Real questions to ask yourself

Hunting first or second ?
How much are you willig to spend ? Arrows arnt cheap, and neither are strings
How much pratice time am I willing to spend

Go to a proshop and look at used bows, for a beginners its the smartest play. Have the techs fit arrow weight , draw length , and peep position. Also ask them about brace height the lower it is the less forgiving the bow is.
Check out arherytalk pretty good site, people sell some pretty good bows they Hardley used.

I like bowtech/diamond bows but that's me. I also just shoot single cam.

I guess it all depends on how into archery you want to get. Bret at Archery Plus in Spencer is a Mathews and Elite dealer and a great bow mechanic. Brian at TeePee archery in Acton is a Hoyt and Martin dealer and is also a fantastic bow mechanic. Brian is also one of the best custom string builders in the country. I shoot Mathews bows but go to Brian for everything I cant do myself. Brian also places every year in the nationals and worlds so can give you some good pointers. I spend about $1500 on a new set up but you can get into it for much less.

Looking for some advice. I am considering getting in to archery, which is something I know very little about. I'm interested in target shooting and possibly some turkey hunting down the road. Can someone offer me some guidance on where to get started? What do I need (other than the obvious), what can I expect to spend, where to shop, clubs or organizations for shooting, etc?

Thanks in advance.

There is a strong archery contingent at Nipmuc Rod and Gun Club in Upton, MA. You might want to make one of their meetings and ask around. They have a dedicated archery range and the people are very friendly. Member meetings are the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 P.M. It's located on Old Fisk road in Upton, MA.

It all depends on how you want to do it.

A target bow will not be a hunting bow and a hunting bow will not be a target bow.

Yes you can do both with any bow, the thing with that is you will be using a Caddy as a Chevy (target vrs hunting) as a bow.

I would say take a ride out here, it's not to bad from Worcester, to see Ed Fisher. Ed is great, real nice guy and fair pricing. I've shoot with him for years.

I do all 3, I shoot tradional, target and 3D. I also was the Northeast Shooter for Jennings Bows one year.

I love archery so much that when we built our house I planned a range into my cellar.

I helped out a buddy of mine for years (when he was in biusness), we did the 3D shoot at the Sportsmen Show every year.

Here's Ed's info:

E and J Archery
7 Kings Highway, Westhampton, MA 01027 hours are 10 to 7, six days a week, as well as other hours by appointment. He can be reached at 413-527-5252.

Some other good shops to check out are :

Trader Jan's http://www.traderjans.com/

Hall's Arrow http://www.hallsarrow.com/

Archery Talk Forum http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/

Check out USArchery.org to get a feel for what's happening out there in the target archery world.

Search for local JOAD programs in your area where you can absolutely find good contacts and likely ranges and equipment. The JOAD programs are aimed at the youth BUT the coaches are typically a good source of information.

Send me a PM if these thoughts don't help and we can find you what you need.

What to spend is equally as complex a question as asking what gun to buy first. The answer is "It Depends".

+1 on this. Great place to start. I got my kids started in this, and got to do a bit myself. Had a blast, too. I would have done more, but time is always a commodity :)

Anybody ever make their own bow? I saw a teenager with one at the Big Moe. I think he won it. It was a really nice long bow. I think it was made out of gumwood or sassafrass or something. This has always interested me. Heck, the indians used to take plenty of deer with "homemade" bows.

Another Shop to Check

I'm not an archer, nor do I play one on TV . . . . that said, Blue Northern in Ayer, MA has what appears to be a decent selection of archery stuff.

- Brad

Back
Top Bottom