• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a New Remlin

I have not purchased one but I have handled a whole lot of them at shooting supply in Westport.
I have to say I’m impressed with the new rifles vs. what was being produced a couple years ago.
The wood fit still has a little gap but it’s very consistent all the way around. Metal finish is very good compared to recent years. All of the areas that need beveling and blending are done beautifully.
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one.
Shooting supply has one in 44 right now I believe. I know he had a 45 last week. Also a nice stainless 45/70 guide gun if you want a grail.

Thanks...that's what I'm hearing. I purchased a 45-70 cowboy and it was good, not great. But it was a leftover I bought at a steal from KTP for under $450 NIB.

Unfortunately I'm not that close to Shooting Supply, I generally buy stuff online, but doing that with a Remlin in the post New Haven Marlin past has been a no no for me, but I've been hearing stuff online that says the quality is up.

As long as its a couple of years after the Remington acquisition of Marlin, they've pretty much worked out the issues. I found a nearly unused 1894c in 357 at four seasons a couple of months ago that was a couple of years old for cheap and it functions just fine and shoots great. Its a ton of fun and accurate too. Plinking steel plates rapidly offhand @ 100yds no problem. I was a bit leery being a Remlin but did the homework and found out the ones they have been making lately work just fine. Fit and finish on the wood isn't as nice as the JM made ones but with a file and a few minutes you can fix that. I was pleasantly surprised with this after hearing all the horror stories about Remlins, and its now one of my favorite shooters.

Took a chance on a new 1895 with the 22 inch barrel hunting rifle, see how it comes in. Fingers crossed. Got a good deal online.

Got the new rifle, I'm fairly impressed compared to the 2013 models. While not perfect, they are improving dramatically.

The stock wood is nice figured walnut, good fit around the buttplate, very fine hairline gaps at the handle metal, but consistent, and not really that bad. Sitting in this humidity they might even go away for all I know, its that fine, since gun came from probably a dry heat warehouse in Texas. Handgrip is really well done and no fit issues at all.

The receiver metal is decent, but will probably never be the higher polish blue that the old guns have, that's just a fact of life now, the lever is decent as well, but similar, could use a touch more finish work. Barrel is fine. All in all not that bad.

The action is pretty darn nice, tighter and smoother than the leftover 1895 cowboy I bought, which I just had to break in with lots of cranking, and working rounds thru. Definitely improvement here. No buggered screws anywhere, all metalwork and sling swivels done fairly well. Sights are straight and seem done well. I'll likely be putting a Skinner winged peep on this one.

The wood finish is different, definately not fancy, I like it because it's low gloss, oil type. The grain could be filled more, but I think with some lemon oil and, after successive years of use and oiling it will darken and look pretty good. Checkering has been a sore point I've heard....on this one it's done very well.

All in all, I got it for $450 not including the 20 dollar trans fee, with a small savings coupon online. I'm very happy with the purchase. If I paid over 600 like the 357 mag is going for right now, I think I'd be a bit more critical of the receiver and lever metalwork, as for that money it should be a bit nicer, as Henry offers a better metal finish in that caliber for the same money.

Of course the real proof will be after I blast some handmade Leverrevolution asskicker ammo out of it, and some 405 grain lead.

The next one's going to be a 336 in 30-30. I've been searching thru bunches of used JM ones looking for one that's either in good shape or not overpriced. Lot of crappy overpriced junk out there. I may just end up getting a new one...just tough to decide if I want Stainless or Blue.

Last edited:
Great Write-Up Mark. Thanks.
~Matt

Back
Top Bottom