• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Connecticut non resident ccw?

FMH2016

NES Member
Just found out I'll be working 4 days in Connecticut. I'm a mass resident and was wondering if it is possible to get a non resident ccw? I have no knowledge of cn. Laws. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Piece of cake. Its just a process. Follow the process. Put money and credentials in one end and a CT Pistol Permit will pop out the other after a few months.

It is not a concealed carry permit. Concealment is not required in CT, for real. People do it every day. Problems are very very rare.

The formal name is a Permit to carry pistols and revolvers.

Everyone in CT, including the cops calls it s "pistol permit".

Don

Piece of cake. Its just a process. Follow the process. Put money and credentials in one end and a CT Pistol Permit will pop out the other after a few months.

It is not a concealed carry permit. Concealment is not required in CT, for real. People do it every day. Problems are very very rare.

Don

Concealment is ok too though if you don't want to open carry. Most folks in CT conceal carry, myself included, but I see more open carry here lately. I am assuming that is the same for non-res as res but you should probably verify that.

It is the same for both.

I didn't mean to imply that most OC. The vast vast majority CC.

The nice thing to me about OC being legal is that I don't have to worry about printing. I just carry in a way that is comfortable. Usually OWB with a T shirt over it. I wouldn't carry in MA that way because of the repercussions associated with frightening the sheep. In CT its a non-issue.

Don

Yup. Mine took 10-12 weeks if I recall correctly. I applied in April of last year and didn't receive it until like July?...

It is the same for both.

I didn't mean to imply that most OC. The vast vast majority CC.

The nice thing to me about OC being legal is that I don't have to worry about printing. I just carry in a way that is comfortable. Usually OWB with a T shirt over it. I wouldn't carry in MA that way because of the repercussions associated with frightening the sheep. In CT its a non-issue.

Yup, I used to worry about printing but now that OC is becoming a little more common and most cops in CT have been made aware that OC is not illegal it doesn't worry me anymore.

I submitted my packed, and it arrived in CT State Police Feb 8. Haven’t heard a word yet. Although there is a pandemic going on but no idea if they’re still processing

You will need to take the NRA Basic Pistol course. I do these all the time for MA residents applying for a CT permit. It seems this is the only certified program accepted by the state of CT.

FWIW:
You can always call them and ask what the processing time is. Their customer service is excellent. It isn’t like Mass.

When I applied it was in person and they quoted me 90 days and they were spot on.

Bob

Attachments

• 822B29D6-8990-44EF-B758-32D4C4D40615.jpeg
    822B29D6-8990-44EF-B758-32D4C4D40615.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
I thought you had to get some sort of Ct. mother may I certificate, am I not as right as I normally am and if so what's the fee?

I think you're thinking of the old process, which changed quite a few years ago. To get a NR CCW in CT, you had to first get a *town* (or city) permit. You could only apply to the SP after you had that. That isn't true any longer, though.

Say what you like about Connecticut (on guns or any other subject), their permit handling process is terrific. I did my latest renewal in person in DPS HQ in Middletown. Whole thing took about 15 minutes: no prints, they took photo, and handed me the new permit in about 5 minutes after the paperwork done.

Back
Top Bottom