Connecticut Non Resident CCW process

expedition03

NES Member
I'm a MA resident, want to apply for the Non resident CT pistol permit. It says to call for app, no problem. What certificate will they take to show live fire. I did the Mass Firearms School Basic Pistol with live fire, and Utah non resident. Also if they take either or, is there a time limit they have to had be taken? I wanted to ask before I called if someone knew that went through the process. Thanks.

Did not go through the non-res process. Did the harder res process. I’m not certain which training would be approved but there is no expiration date for the training. If any of the courses are NRA-sanctioned they should be fine. Once you apply, you’ll be put through the background check and as long are you’re not statutorily DQ’ed, you’ll be mailed your permit. It is easier than a resident permit where it is to go through the local issuing authority.

Yes they must be NRA approved courses (LTC-002) if I remember correctly. The basic handgun safety course I took locally wasn’t sufficient for the CT non-res. I had to take LTC-002 course in order to get the permit.

Call them up and ask for the package. Their pretty freindly and anwered a couple of my questions.

BTW... the package is a PITA... fingerprints, multiple forms need a notery, copies of your MA stuff, 3 separate checks.

I mailed mine in like 2 months ago and am still waiting.

At least when I did mine, the MA course wasn't sufficient. I took CT non-res course offered by MFS. They also did the fingerprints and provided the forms. Sent it all in and got the license back in a few weeks. Was pretty painless. I don't recall, but I don't think the Utah course was sufficient either.

What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?
You are required> to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Source: Frequently Asked Questions - Pistol Permits

What is the cost of the non resident permit?

I received mine last summer. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that is what it was; almost to the day.

Four separate checks were required for:
$15 fee to be fingerprinted.
$70 application fee
$75 CT fingerprint processing fee
$12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

The $15.00 finger print fee is because I had them do my prints there when I applied in person. I wanted to apply in person as I wanted to make sure that they would acccept my course from 1984 and they did as it had live fire.

They are very specific about the course. They are also terrific to work with and get customer service. Give them a call

Bob

I received mine last summer. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that is what it was; almost to the day.

Four separate checks were required for:
$15 fee to be fingerprinted.
$70 application fee
$75 CT fingerprint processing fee
$12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

The $15.00 finger print fee is because I had them do my prints there when I applied in person. I wanted to apply in person as I wanted to make sure that they would acccept my course from 1984 and they did as it had live fire.

They are very specific about the course. They are also terrific to work with and get customer service. Give them a call

Bob
Went to my hometown PD for my fingerprints, the Chief did it no charge.

I'm a MA resident, want to apply for the Non resident CT pistol permit. It says to call for app, no problem. What certificate will they take to show live fire. I did the Mass Firearms School Basic Pistol with live fire, and Utah non resident. Also if they take either or, is there a time limit they have to had be taken? I wanted to ask before I called if someone knew that went through the process. Thanks.

They accepted my NRA Basic Marksmanship Training Program Pistol Shooting from 1984 if that is any help.

There is a lot of information in the Connecticut Laws Forum and you will find that DCMDON is a good source of information.

Went to my hometown PD for my fingerprints, the Chief did it no charge.

That’s the way to go if you can.

Bob

Call them up and ask for the package. Their pretty freindly and anwered a couple of my questions.

BTW... the package is a PITA... fingerprints, multiple forms need a notery, copies of your MA stuff, 3 separate checks.

I mailed mine in like 2 months ago and am still waiting.

Just curious are you still waiting? Sent mine in today

I actually started this process about 14 months ago, then my apartment building had a huge fire and I was forced to move out and my entire application package now had the wrong address across the whole thing. So I guess I should pick this up again.

Any idea if they'll accept a course certificate > 1 year old? And will they take the ATF print cards, or do I need to get one with no or specific ORI info stamped on it?

I submitted my packed, and it arrived in CT State Police Feb 8. Haven’t heard a word yet. Although there is a pandemic going on but no idea if they’re still processing

Back
Top Bottom