Connecticut non-res ccw?

They are currently accepting any "NRA type" course that requires a minimum of 50 rounds to be fired in the course.

true, however in practice they accept whatever state police certificate you have from mass.

True, what I forgot to mention is that the course has to be within the last 6 months. Even if you have a permit for 10 years in another state, the course needs to be under 6 months old. Now, I have seen this enforced lately and I have seen it "ignored" depends on who you get there.

Will Connecticut accept a hunter safety course as firearms safety training for a non resident carry license?

True, what I forgot to mention is that the course has to be within the last 6 months. Even if you have a permit for 10 years in another state, the course needs to be under 6 months old. Now, I have seen this enforced lately and I have seen it "ignored" depends on who you get there.

They accepted my Mass state police certificate for the NRA basic home course (no live fire) that was over 2 years old. At first I sent the NRA certficate that I received from the course and they didn't accept it because it didn't say mass state police on it. When I then sent the Mass State cert (for the same exact class) it was accepted. Moral of the story - I suspect they don't really understand their own rules over there. If you have a firearm safety cert that says mass state police on it, they will probably accept it

Yeah, this is in 09. Still, I have some people that took my Basic Pistol class just for the non-resident and didnt need it and others tried and got it kicked back untill they took the class.

Recent NRA course or DD-214

Incorrect; they require both a training certificate for NRA Basic Pistol, and your DD-214 if you have any military service. The DD-214 MUST say "Honorable Service."

I confirmed on the phone yesterday that they need both; her response was that they need the training certification because not every servicemember is trained in handguns.

I just submitted my DD-214, and nothing else. As well I don't take veteran's money when I hold CT permit classes, I inform them that all they need is a DD-214 and not my certificate, but are welcome to take my class if they want. But the truth is the only reason people take the class is to get the permit. I haven't had anyone come back to tell me they had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom