• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Connecticut - Land of the Free??!!?? A real alternative to NH??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't AKs in 7.62x39 (among other things, like FALs and HK91s) not legal in CT at all? There may be some things about it that are more appealing than MA, but that's a major deal-breaker for me right there.

it sucks, ide give my left arm for a 7.62 AK or FAL. i THINK we can own CETME's though, i know, nothing like a real FAL. but oh well

Well, not really, but it is certainly true that moving from CT to MA would be taking a huge step downward in rights.

I disagree that it's an alternative to NH, though. CT is still 5 out of 10 communist stars where MA is like 9 out of 10. (The only ones worse being NY/NJ/DC/CA/IL) NH is like one star, and that's only because of the fact that permit-less carry hasn't passed yet because of a bunch of a**h***s from the NRA f**king up legislative process. If NH goes permit-less, it will easily be within top 5 best states in the nation for gun rights.

If CT didn't require a license for handguns for "mere ownership" it would be a lot better.
The AWB is best described as "byzantine empire" and the select fire ban on MGs is pure concentrated 110% gayness.

Having no suitability, legal suppressors for all, and no stupid mag bans are all huge pluses, though.

-Mike

CT does not require any permit to have a handgun in your home or business.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-35.htm

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28.

The FN FAL is named in the AWB, but who do you know who actually has one of those. Most of those in civilian circulation are not made by FN. So as long as a FAL is made by someone like DSA, its legal provided its pre-ban or has a brake rather than a flash suppressor.

Like I said. Its far from ideal, but generally you CAN get the gun you want without needing anyone to approve the purchase.

As for AKs. I don't consider it to be a problem because I hate 7.62x39. Its not even cheap any more.
I'd much prefer 5.45 x 39 for cheap shooting. Which my Arsinal SLR 105 handles.

I've also got a pre-ban Norinco AK in .223.

With 7.62x39 almost as expensive as .223, whats the point.

For example. A great place to buy ammo is aimsurplus.com

They list

1000 rds of pmc brass cased .223 = $289
1000 rds of steel case wolf .223 = $179
1000 rds of 5.45x39, russion tuna can = $129

The same site lists :

1000 rounds of wolf steel case 7.62x39 = $200
1000 rounds of surplus brass case corrosive = $180

Oh wait. I almost forgot. You can't buy mail order ammo in MA.

With all that said, if you were a real fan of the AK, CT would suck.

CT = the classic AKMs are illegal.

If that isn't gay, I don't know what is. So no, it's no alternative. It's worse than MA.

please keep in mind that this is typed "tongue in cheek" while I pet my FN FAL and 7.62x39 AK47's.

Last edited:
for a fair comparison you need to understand your total cost of

living. how about a comparison of states with NH type gun laws

and the cost of living.

How are the property taxes in NH???

How are those property taxes, sales taxes and income taxes in MA and CT? While NH has high property taxes, it has no income tax and no sales tax. NH comes out on top in the overall tax picture.

flintoid - thats ok. I'm stroking my totally evil AR. Can you believe it that I actually have a threaded muzzle with a flash hider fitted to it!!!!!???

Gasp. And the bbl is only 11 inches long.

rifle.jpg

for a fair comparison you need to understand your total cost of

living. how about a comparison of states with NH type gun laws

and the cost of living.

For this to truly be relevant, you need to compare the cost of living with wages. If you don't include wages, you've only got half the picture.

This is digressing way far from my original intent with this thread. My point was merely that CT is an alternative to MA that is much more gun friendly.
I should have left NH out of it. It was said kindof tongue in cheek and its become the focus of discussion.

Look in to whats been going on with taxes down there and tell me if it's land of the free.

CT sucks. Going to Cabella's made me drool, no doubt, but it's such a crappy state. My best friend is from there and I've spent a lot of time there.

For those that don't know CT retroactively raised the income tax for the current year. Deductions over the next few months have to cover what would've been the full years total. A friends company has many people that are paying extra thousands per month to make up the difference.

Great post, but it appears dated.

Any chance on getting an update to this post with the new 2013 laws that were passed in CT ???

How has it changed things. How it will impact Non-Resident looking to apply for CCW.

Thanks - DJ

Last edited:
Seems like the legislative progress down there in CT has only added more weight as well as more firearms-related weight to my erudite analysis of Connecticut's inherent suckitude.

What an awesomely informative post! +1... and count me among the envious that I'm stuck in this anti 2A libhole for the foreseeable future.

Shamrock - that post is outdated. CT was pretty good until 4/4/13. Then everything changed. Regulations on magazines, ammunition, long guns. All the stuff that used to be unregulated is now regulated.

In short here's a comparison between MA and CT

Magazines - CT more restrictive for future purchases. MA more restrictive for posession
ARs/AKs - CT more restrictive now. No future purchase of pretty much anything

Carry and carry license - much better in CT. Still.

Open Carry legal in CT - perfectly legal and the PoPo know it and are training on it. Connecticut Carry - Permits

Access to handguns easier in CT no restricted lists.

I'll provide more soon.

Would be interested to hear what a MA resident would need to do to buy ammo now in CT now with the changes.

Last edited:
Nothing now. The ammo purchase requirements don't go into effect till Oct, I believe.

don

Wow, that's better than what I was told. Info I was given, was that I could not buy ammo now. Do you know if I had a CT Non-Res CCW would I be allowed to purchase ammo after Oct with the new laws in effect?

Wow, that's better than what I was told. Info I was given, was that I could not buy ammo now. Do you know if I had a CT Non-Res CCW would I be allowed to purchase ammo after Oct with the new laws in effect?

You were told wrong. Absolutely no changes to conditions of ammo sale until 10/1/13. See below. Based on the actual language of the statute, a non-res pistol permit would be fine. But god only knows how it will be administered.

Here's a link to the statute if you want to review it yourself: AN ACT CONCERNING GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION AND CHILDREN'S SAFETY.

Don

(c) On and after October 1, 2013, no person, firm or corporation shall sell ammunition or an ammunition magazine to any person unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28 of the general statutes, as amended by this act, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (a) of section 29-28 of the general statutes, a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 2 of this act and presents to the transferor such permit or certificate, or unless such person holds a valid ammunition certificate issued pursuant to section 15 of this act and presents to the transferor such certificate and such person's motor vehicle operator's license, passport or other valid form of identification issued by the federal government or a state or municipal government that contains such person's date of birth and photograph.

From a cursory read, if I apply for a CT non-res CCW, is it correct that I must submit a Basic Pistol cert?

ME will accept a DD-214 in lieu of a cert, I don't see anything like that IN CT, is that correct?

From a cursory read, if I apply for a CT non-res CCW, is it correct that I must submit a Basic Pistol cert?

ME will accept a DD-214 in lieu of a cert, I don't see anything like that IN CT, is that correct?

Ct does ask for a copy of your dd214 I think on page 2 but I believe its to mainly to see box 13a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom