• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Connecticut Governor to Sign Gun Confiscation Bill

So next year they will have 14 domestic homicides, none of which were done with a gun. Or maybe they'll have 13 and one beaten into a vegetative state. Is this better?
They'll still have 5-7 domestic homicides with a gun. Because I guarantee you, most of the current 7 aren't being committed by nice guys with LTCs. They're being committed by violent thugs.

Because violent thug.

So next year they will have 14 domestic homicides, none of which were done with a gun. Or maybe they'll have 13 and one beaten into a vegetative state. Is this better?

As long as they get to restrict gun ownership and even confiscate a few guns the criminals in Hartford will be happy. Trust me, most CT politicians are some of the slimiest lawyers ever to walk the face of the earth and they don't care who gets hurt or killed as long as they advance the agenda that benefits them. Malloy, Blumenthal, Murphy and Looney are probably the worst of the worst.

I'm confused (as usual) - does this quote:
While 5,000 temporary restraining orders are issued annually, about half result in permanent orders. The bill, which was approved last week in the House, would require court hearings within seven days and if judges decide against extending the orders, weapons would be returned within five days later. Currently, court hearings are held 14 days later.

mean that if the RO is made permanent, the firearms are permanently confiscated?

I'm confused (as usual) - does this quote:

mean that if the RO is made permanent, the firearms are permanently confiscated?

I read most of it quickly but it's all lawyer speak and a bunch of gobbledy gook where they strike the old statute and insert new wording so it's hard to follow at times.

My understanding is that anyone under a RO cannot own firearms in CT. It may be just for certain ROs that pertain to violence or threats though, not sure. There are different ways you can surrender your guns if accused and any RO is issued. It used to be only to the Commissioner of the Dept of Emergency Services or some such crap. Now you can also surrender them to your local police dept or transfer them to a dealer or eligible person. So they are giving you the option of selling off your guns instead of just handing them over but it has to be done in 24 hours so it will be a fire sale to say the least. There may be a provision that you can surrender them to the local PD but if the RO sticks so you can't get them back they can then be transferred to a dealer or eligible person within some period of time so you would have the option of selling them in that instance. I'm not sure as it was getting late when I re-read this crap last night and I was tired.

The point is under some ROs you cannot own firearms, period. What happens at the end of the RO probably depends on a few things. Are some actually permanent as in forever or just "permanent" as in more than just a few days or weeks as in a temporary RO but still with some future expiration date or at least possibility of being rescinded I don't know.

Here is a link to it if you need a good sleep aid. https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/TOB/h/2016HB-05054-R00-HB.htm

CT State Rep. Doug Dubitsky called me last night to explain the transfer of guns question I had. We spoke for about 20 minutes but I forgot to ask him about what happens to the guns if the RO is upheld beyond the temporary ex parte RO. Sorry, I will ask him next time I e-mail him or talk to him.

Anyway, originally it was a long drawn out load of BS for the accused to get their guns back after the ex parte RO is vacated. They had it written that the PD was to only give the guns back depending on suitability and they didn't have a time limit. Rep. Dubitsky argued against that and got it amended so the police have 5 days to give the guns back after the RO is vacated, no questions asked, no suitability, no authorization number from the state. They only have to check that you are who you say you are, that the RO was really vacated (you didn't just print a fake form out yourself) and that you haven't committed any felonies since you turned the guns in. It is not a transfer of ownership and again, they have 5 days to do that then they have to give you your guns back, including any registered assault rifles.

Oddly enough, you do not have the option to sell or gift the guns privately with these ex parte ROs but you do if you are arrested for domestic violence and if arrested you have 2 business days to do it, not just 24 hours. With the RO you have to turn them into the PD or sell them to a FFL within 24 hours. So you get more options and more time if you actually get arrested than if you are just accused with no due process. Rep. Dubitsky argued that point but didn't get anywhere with it. So if you have a registered assault rifle the only way to get it back is to turn it into the PD until the RO is vacated. If you sell it to a FFL you cannot buy it back since the CT AWB prohibits the sale of any assault rifles in CT except to a FFL. So yeah, it is important to know what happens to them if you turn it into the PD but the RO is not vacated. I will try to get that info.

BTW, Rep. Dubitsky is not a friend of mine or anything, I only met him once at the gun shop before he got elected. He is just a real representative that takes the time to read emails from his constituents and answers them and even picks up the phone and calls after work hours to answer questions, etc. He also was at my gun club's annual game dinner a few weeks ago too, I wasn't there unfortunately.

He told me he knew he had very little chance of killing this bill because of the Dem supermajority he was up against and it was the governor's signature bill that he had been pushing harder than anything else. He at least got several amendments passed to make it a little less retarded as mentioned above. He took up almost 6 hours of time on the last day of the legislative session until after 11:00 p.m. That was intentional because it effectively blocked other retarded moonbat legislation from getting to the floor. Small victories but better than nothing and it is encouraging that I have a rep who is on the right side of things. He even said in his own words, "They don't care about the Constitution in Hartford the way you and I do, not at all, but I am working hard to fight that". Refreshing words from a politician, especially in CT.

Back
Top Bottom