• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conn non resident LTC

Appreciate the information. I will do the Middletown appointment. Thanks
No problem. Hope it works out for you. Their appointments about about 2 weeks out and you can book it online. They were incredibly nice and friendly in Middletown. I expected it to be like going into the registry to renew automobile plates. I was in and out in about 5 minutes.

Ok, so where is the list of CT approved courses to qualify for the CCW permit? Apparently the NRA First Steps Pistol is not enough.
NRA basic pistol. Morning classroom and afternoon they let you pop some 22 pistols so you're "live fire certified". Take a test at the end of it where the instructors will let you fix your answers if you get any of them wrong and you're good to go.

I did my original permit in Middletown and they were awesome. They had a hard time scanning in my prints and used corn silk oil to get a good set of prints. Never heard of corn silk oil before.

I did my original permit in Middletown and they were awesome. They had a hard time scanning in my prints and used corn silk oil to get a good set of prints. Never heard of corn silk oil before.
You probably could have asked on here. I'm sure a few of the members have used it before - but strictly for "fingerprinting", of course. ;)

NRA basic pistol. Morning classroom and afternoon they let you pop some 22 pistols so you're "live fire certified". Take a test at the end of it where the instructors will let you fix your answers if you get any of them wrong and you're good to go.
As someone else said earlier in the thread: Mass Firearm School CT NR Permit course is the easiest way to get a good application done. They walk you through filling out the forms, do the fingerprints with you, take the photos for the paperwork, and give you the minimum live fire needed. I found it worth the money, took me about 8 weeks to get the permit after I dropped it at the post office.

Just fill the form and send in whatever it is that's required including money order or check. You'd need an 'NRA basic pistol' class certificate at least so keep that in mind. I got my CT non-res way faster than my MA renewal. Yeah the phone and email lines you can't reach anybody but send it in correctly, cross your fingers and you'll get your CT card.
Don't you also need a range test ?

got my app by calling and requesting it over the phone as mentioned above. very easy and woman was very polite. 3 days after phone call the app arrived. filled it out and sent it in via mail. it was returned to me within a month of mailing. not bad at all.

had a tough time getting a town locally to print me. one local town said we only have electronic printing capabilities now, another told me I'd need an appointment that would be 3+ weeks out and on top of the wait it'd be 40 bucks.
Hampden, MA had an officer who took care of it within two days of me calling and inquiring. He called back the next day he was in, and even offered to come in early if need be to accommodate my work schedule to be able to get me in and printed. He printed me for free as is protocol there, and said if I knew anyone going forward that needed prints done he would be happy to help and to send them his way. shout out to the firearms officer at the Hampden, MA PD. stand up gentleman.

recently chatting with a friend who is a CT resident and just got their permit. we compared them and I found it interesting that the nonres and resident permit look exactly the same.

CT requires live fire as part of the training. There is no particular standard, just shooting. My CT permit class at MFS included 50 rounds of .22 through a DA/SA revolver.
Interesting. My 50 rounds at MFS were through a Ruger Mk IV pistol.

recently chatting with a friend who is a CT resident and just got their permit. we compared them and I found it interesting that the nonres and resident permit look exactly the same.

That's not unusual. It's the case here in RI, too, as well as some of the other states for which I have permits. What distinguishes a permit as a "non-resident" permit is if the home address listed on the permit is in a different state than that of the issuing state. So for example, when I originally had my RI permit, I lived in MA. And when I moved to RI, I contacted the town that issued my permit, and they sent me a new permit with my RI address on it, which looked identical to the old one but with the address change.

Frank

got my app by calling and requesting it over the phone as mentioned above. very easy and woman was very polite. 3 days after phone call the app arrived. filled it out and sent it in via mail. it was returned to me within a month of mailing. not bad at all.

had a tough time getting a town locally to print me. one local town said we only have electronic printing capabilities now, another told me I'd need an appointment that would be 3+ weeks out and on top of the wait it'd be 40 bucks.
Hampden, MA had an officer who took care of it within two days of me calling and inquiring. He called back the next day he was in, and even offered to come in early if need be to accommodate my work schedule to be able to get me in and printed. He printed me for free as is protocol there, and said if I knew anyone going forward that needed prints done he would be happy to help and to send them his way. shout out to the firearms officer at the Hampden, MA PD. stand up gentleman.

They ARE the same. I had a CT resident permit for years. When I moved, I notified them of my change of residency/address and printed out an address label to put on the back of my current permit. When I renewed it, (expiring), my renewed license had my GA address on it. Other than that, it was identical.

The difference between the two permits is that you can't buy a handgun in CT on that non-resident permit. Federal law prohibits it, and the SLFU accordingly won't authorize the transfer.

My question is with the passing of the new CT gun laws that are requiring the addition of CT gun law and 2 hours of live fire is the NRA Basic Pistol Class Certificate still OK. I am about to apply to CT for my non-resadent CT license. I already have a NRA Basic Pistol Certificate and I am also a Certified NRA Basic Pistol Instructor. Does anyone have any updated info on this?

My question is with the passing of the new CT gun laws that are requiring the addition of CT gun law and 2 hours of live fire is the NRA Basic Pistol Class Certificate still OK. I am about to apply to CT for my non-resadent CT license. I already have a NRA Basic Pistol Certificate and I am also a Certified NRA Basic Pistol Instructor. Does anyone have any updated info on this?
When I applied i only had the NRA basic with live fire. It was a couple years old. I applied early May

John,
I’m not sure when they changed they law, but I applied in may, received early June. My basic pistol course certificate was 10 years old.

John,
I’m not sure when they changed they law, but I applied in may, received early June. My basic pistol course certificate was 10 years old.
GOV. Lemont signet H6667 into law on June 6th. H6667 is almost as crazy as the MA H4420 however, not as crazy as the MA bill. It is obvious MA wants to out crazy all the crazy states.

Didn’t realize I got in before a new law change. I had waited for years, reading a thread on NES where the guy got all carry permits he could for most reciprocity made me finally get off my ass and do it. Glad I did.

Didn’t realize I got in before a new law change. I had waited for years, reading a thread on NES where the guy got all carry permits he could for most reciprocity made me finally get off my ass and do it. Glad I did.
I may have dragged my feet too long. Eventhough I have a NRA Basic Pistol Certificat and I am a Cetified NRA basic Pistol Instructor. I am just trying to find out if the new requirement have gone into effect yet. I have emailed the state and have gotten no response. I have looked on NES in the Law section and the CT information has not been updated. If these new requirements have gone into effect it looks like I will have to take a CT class with the added CT law and two Hours of live fire training because I am not sure if they will wave the additional requirement and I am getting no clarification from the state.

CT makes it easy because they know nobody in their right mind would step foot in that state.
I go there frequently because I have family there. Thus I wanted a permit so that I would not get in trouble should i forget to leave any firearms at home when I go to visit mom and dad.

I may have dragged my feet too long. Eventhough I have a NRA Basic Pistol Certificat and I am a Cetified NRA basic Pistol Instructor. I am just trying to find out if the new requirement have gone into effect yet. I have emailed the state and have gotten no response. I have looked on NES in the Law section and the CT information has not been updated. If these new requirements have gone into effect it looks like I will have to take a CT class with the added CT law and two Hours of live fire training because I am not sure if they will wave the additional requirement and I am getting no clarification from the state.

There is absolutely no information on this that I can find. I also teach the NRA Basic Pistol and live on the CT border. I always stamp my students NRA Certificate with "Live Fire" since we do that for 2 hours as part of the class. I'll do some research on this tomorrow.

I run double targets for the live fire part of Basic Pistol so I have the qualifying live fire targets for my file and the student also has a set of live fire targets. I think I started this years ago foe a student from RI that needed the targets for proof of live fire.

OK, This is according to CCDL..

Pistol Permit Course Requirement Expansion: Statute goes into effect 10/1/23. Provisions go into effect on 7/1/24. Requires new pistol permit applicants to complete a course including instruction in state law requirements pertaining to safe storage in the home and in vehicles, lawful use of firearms, and lawful carrying of firearms in public.

Here's the link... What a shitshow... I'm posting this in the CT Gun Law section also

Here's the link... What a shitshow... I'm posting this in the CT Gun Law section also

I was talking to my buddy Mike last night; he lives in Niantic, CT. I've been shooting with him since 2012; he's not happy at all about the new laws.

And this one looks like a trap -
*Under 2023-HB6895 The “Fix-It” Bill HB6895 AN ACT CONCERNING FIREARMS AND STREET TAKEOVERS a person who lawfully possessed a large capacity magazine prior to January 1, 2014, and had not yet declared possession of such magazine as of July 1, 2023, shall apply by January 1, 2024, to declare possession of such magazine. SLFU has yet to establish the procedure.

Back
Top Bottom