Congressman Peter Welch of VT response to a friends letter...

This is just an FYI regardless of DUP subjects on this board to write your Congress, regardless of your thoughts if it will help or not.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the horrific slaughter of twenty six people, including twenty children, at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. I appreciate hearing from you.

The unspeakable tragedy in Newtown was a transformational moment in the national conversation on gun violence. There should be no conflict between protecting innocent children from slaughter and preserving the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. It is time for America to reach a long overdue consensus on practical steps to prevent similar tragedies from happening again.

Common sense gun legislation should be part of the solution. I intend to work with the President and Congress to support legislation that would place restrictions on the sale of assault weapons and limit high capacity ammunition clips. We must also find a better way to prevent mentally unstable individuals from obtaining a gun. We should ensure that federal agencies, as well as state and local law enforcement authorities, are sharing relevant information to improve the effectiveness of background checks. We should find ways to address the gruesome violence on display to our children every day through television, movies and video games. And we must, even in an era fiscal restraint, improve mental health services at the local level.

In Vermont, we are fortunate not to have experienced gun violence on the scale of Newtown. And we have a long tradition of responsible gun use. Parents teach their children proper use of firearms. Families hunt together. And children learn about wildlife and the environment as they walk in the woods appreciating the wonder of Vermont's natural terrain. We can preserve this tradition while also taking meaningful steps to ensure that tragedies like Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech and Columbine are not repeated.

I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress considers this issue.

Sincerely,
PETER WELCH
Member of Congress

And his response...

I do not believe my letter to you has been interpreted correctly. My intent from this point on is to no longer support any elected official who is in support of ANY gun ban legislation.

You are correct, we are fortunate to enjoy the nature that Vermont provides us. However, this is not a sporting right at stake. Hunting and sport shooting are privileges for us to enjoy.

What is at stake however, is an erosion of our constitutional rights. I will not support any advocate for any gun restrictions. The "assault" weapon you and others call it, but we gun owners and protectors of our freedoms are aware that this is a semi-automatic firearm that has been in production and used for 100 years. The use of this firearm in violent crimes is so rare, but media hype has portrayed it to be a common and recurring tool. You will be given stats to support this at some point. I hope that you will reconsider your position before voting on any useless laws. Currently there are 20,000 gun control laws on the books. CT supposedly had laws restricting this individuals use. Laws did nothing to prevent this. New laws will accomplish nothing other than making law-abiding citizens vulnerable. Last time I looked, murder was illegal.

In the meantime, I will forward your response to all of my colleagues, friends, and family documenting that fact that you currently support a gun ban and magazine restrictions.

I am sure you will be hearing from them soon.

I got an even better idea, have your friend send another letter informing the congressman that if he votes yes, he will be facing a primary election battle in 2014, spearheaded by your friend.

However, the primary election threat needs to be followed through on.

I got an even better idea, have your friend send another letter informing the congressman that if he votes yes, he will be facing a primary election battle in 2014, spearheaded by your friend.

However, the primary election threat needs to be followed through on.

Completely agree here and it's already started... My friend is well known and should be able to start process if he votes yes which it sounds like he will

Do they really all think they are "clips" or do they say it just to piss us off. I don't know why but it really aggravates me.

Me too, find myself correcting the television often, it's all ignorance... usually when you are about to fight or vote to ban something you do your homework, at least read the dummies guide to firearms so you don't sound like a complete jackass...

Back
Top Bottom