Congressional Candidate Tom Wesley on 2A

Tom Wesley is the Republican nominee for Congress running against Richard Neal in the second district in Massachusetts. I sent him the following question:

Mr. Wesley,

First, I would like to thank you for your service to our country (he is a former Navy pilot).

I am interested in your position on an individual's right to keep and bear
arms, and particularly on concealed carry laws. As you likely know,
Massachusetts is among the most restrictive states in the nation where
firearms laws are concerned, despite recent Supreme Court rulings that
reinforce our fundamental 2nd Amendment rights, and a relaxation of CCW laws
nationwide.

Do you support our current licensing system in Massachusetts, which vests in
local law enforcement officials almost unlimited power to grant or withhold
firearms rights?

Do you support statutory disqualifications for non-violent misdemeanors,
which withhold an individual's 2nd Amendment rights for life?

As my Congressman, what would you do to protect citizens in the 2nd District
from unconstitutional violations against 2nd Amendment rights?

Thank you in advance for your honest and forthright answers.

Here is his response:

Hi, Tim.
Lots of food (sic) questions that I believe can best be answered by telling you that the Gun Owners Action League has rated me 100%.
If we don't support the right to bear arms, how can we defend the other amendments?
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

To Victory!
Tom Wesley

Of course, he is a far better candidate than Richard Neal, but I think this answer is intentionally vague and non-committal. I don't expect him to beat a drum for CCW while running for office in a state like this, but it is still disapointing. He also mis-spelled "good" and neglected to shut off the auto tag that indicates that the message was sent from his iPhone. Is it just me, or does this reek of political hackary?

I asked Marty Lamb the same question in person and he pulled out a pocket copy of the constitution, turned to the Bill of Rights, pointed and said "KEEP and BEAR arms". That means CCW!" Much better answer, but of course he didn't have to put it in writing.

I leave the tag on on my smartphone because it tends to make people more understanding about typos and terse messages. I wouldn't say food is a misspelling, but would just call it a typo. Totally understandable trying to type on a phone with no keyboard. A 100% from GOAL encapsulates quite a bit. Take a look at their candidate survey: http://goal.org/Documents/Candidate Questionnaire.pdf

Right, and I think that is appropriate for certain kinds of written communications. I am typing this from an iPhone right now. When I ask a specific question of someone running for Congress, however, I expect a little more than a half ass response written from his phone that he didn't value enough to proof read. I expect evasive answers from politicians, but the mode and content of his reply struck me as less than professional.

Last edited:
On the upside, it would appear that he took the time to answer you personally, which is more than I can say for any politician that I've written to other than my rep, Smitty Pignatelli. [grin]

It apparently didn't even come from him. The return email address belonged to a woman with the same last name, although it was written in the first person.

We aren't hoping for an entrenched lifelong politician so why belittle him for not acting like one? I like that he took the time to personally answer rather than having a staffer do it. Campaigning is a long tough process especially for a newbie. Too bad he didin't change the tag to say, sent from the range between magazines.

Right, and I think that is appropriate for certain kinds of written communications. I am typing this from an iPhone right now. When I ask a specific question of someone running for Congress, however, I expect a little more than a half ass response written from his phone that he didn't value enough to proof read. I expect evasive answers from politicians, but the mode and content of his reply struck me as less than professional.

So much drama over an email. I think we was trying to say "Lots of food for thought". IDK, I guess I'm just a simple man. He had me at "I'm not Richard Neal".

I’ve known and campaigned with Tom for nearly a year. He firmly believes 2A is an individual right. There is no staff answering emails, he does it on the road, snagging a free minute here and there. Cut him some slack on the typo. Vetted and rated 100% by GOAL says a lot about a candidates support of firearm and sportsmen’s rights. In Congress his opinion and knowledge of state law will not matter. It will be his support of the Constitution the way the founding fathers intended it that is important.

I’ve known and campaigned with Tom for nearly a year. He firmly believes 2A is an individual right. There is no staff answering emails, he does it on the road, snagging a free minute here and there. Cut him some slack on the typo. Vetted and rated 100% by GOAL says a lot about a candidates support of firearm and sportsmen’s rights. In Congress his opinion and knowledge of state law will not matter. It will be his support of the Constitution the way the founding fathers intended it that is important.

Ok. Maybe I was too hard on the guy.

He does it on the road, snagging a free minute here and there. Cut him some slack on the typo. Vetted and rated 100% by GOAL says a lot about a candidates support of firearm and sportsmen’s rights. In Congress his opinion and knowledge of state law will not matter. It will be his support of the Constitution the way the founding fathers intended it that is important.

This
First, I'd note that "G" and "F" are right next to each other on the keyboard and excuse the typo. Heck - I don't get everything 100% on full size keyboard! [smile]

Second - Campaigning is a crazy, full time deal. I can't even guess how many eMails he gets and if the mail wasn't forwarded to someone then he's probably answering it himself in between scheduled gig's. So - for taking a moment to respond to an individual voter, then I'd give him some credit and cut him slack for trying to keep his reply as brief as possible...

"Fat-Fingered" Response to Your Questions

This IS Tom Wesley and I apologize for all of the wasted energy expended because of my brief response to a responsible question. Indeed, I do spend a lot of time on the road and I do answer emails with specific questions as an individual. There is no big staff.

Before I completed the GOAL questionnaire, I personally sat with Jim Wallace and went question by question through the survey. I wanted to fully appreciate the intent and origin of the questions. I had previously sat with a Mass Chief of Police and several gun club members, too. I went in with my eyes open and earned a 100% rating. I did not pander to a special interest group: I AM that special interest group.

I am an active outdoorsman. I learned to shoot as a Boy Scout and if memory serves me right, was a Bar 7 Sharpshooter (or some such level) with a .22 rifle. I loved it and it was formative in my childhood. I am a Scoutmaster today and my boys shoot at camp each year. I am working with one of your members to establish a BSA shooting program at the Quaboag Sportsmen Club right now. At the Academy, I shot to qualify with a .45 (Missed sharpshooter by a point, I think) and again before my first deployment in the Navy.

As a helicopter pilot, I carried a torpedo (difficult to conceal) rather than a gun but I was deadly accurate with it.

I hope this helps to set your mind at ease. I'd write more but I have to go to church and then off to campaign. No machine for me; just one-on-one politics. I am asking for your vote because I am your neighbor. Not because I live next door to you but because I value the same things you do. To keep and bear arms IS a Constitutionally protected right and I shall fight to defend it.

Tom Wesley
Republican Nominee for MA-02

Thank you for you service. I wish that there were more people like you running. I wish I could vote for you.

My appologies, Tom. I should have sought clarification from you before posting here. That was irresponsible on my part. Thank you for being a gentleman about it. I'd be happy to hold a sign for you any time.

Last edited:
Most, if not all, of us would like very much for you to unseat the incumbant. Many years ago in another district a young man with good credentials woo'd sportsmen for our support and our vote. Even though I didn't live in his district I tossed in a donation and watched him fight a good fight and win a seat in Washington. Unfortunately his support for sportsmen and the rights of gun owners disappeared a short time into his freshman term as he cast the deciding vote in favor of the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban. Sportsmen obviously ignored his fund raising efforts for re-election The lack of our support saw him handily defeated. I hear your support of our interests and I support your campaign. When you win, remember who sent you to Washington. You are running for more than a chance to get to see the attractions of Washington. You are going there to work for the people that sent you.
This IS Tom Wesley and I apologize for all of the wasted energy expended because of my brief response to a responsible question. Indeed, I do spend a lot of time on the road and I do answer emails with specific questions as an individual. There is no big staff.

Before I completed the GOAL questionnaire, I personally sat with Jim Wallace and went question by question through the survey. I wanted to fully appreciate the intent and origin of the questions. I had previously sat with a Mass Chief of Police and several gun club members, too. I went in with my eyes open and earned a 100% rating. I did not pander to a special interest group: I AM that special interest group.

I am an active outdoorsman. I learned to shoot as a Boy Scout and if memory serves me right, was a Bar 7 Sharpshooter (or some such level) with a .22 rifle. I loved it and it was formative in my childhood. I am a Scoutmaster today and my boys shoot at camp each year. I am working with one of your members to establish a BSA shooting program at the Quaboag Sportsmen Club right now. At the Academy, I shot to qualify with a .45 (Missed sharpshooter by a point, I think) and again before my first deployment in the Navy.

As a helicopter pilot, I carried a torpedo (difficult to conceal) rather than a gun but I was deadly accurate with it.

I hope this helps to set your mind at ease. I'd write more but I have to go to church and then off to campaign. No machine for me; just one-on-one politics. I am asking for your vote because I am your neighbor. Not because I live next door to you but because I value the same things you do. To keep and bear arms IS a Constitutionally protected right and I shall fight to defend it.

Tom Wesley
Republican Nominee for MA-02

Tim, you need to relax some... Wesley is not a slick smooth operator, he is an ordinary citizen trying to win an election. I'd rather have a 'rough' response than the smooth lying and condecending drek that I've recieved from Kerry and that weener Neil.

rach

Back
Top Bottom