• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

confused about purchasing used handgun from out-of-state dealer...

I was up at Kittery, ME yesterday receiving transfer of a long gun, and also with the intent of purchasing a used handgun that is on the MA approved firearms roster, with the exception of its high-cap magazines. Long gun transfer went through fine... I then asked the sales rep what the process is for purchasing the handgun and transferring it into MA through a FFL. Then my head started spinning...

I was told that the used handgun could not be sold to me because it did not have attached papers denoting its state of origin. If I wanted to find the origin, I would have to take down the serial number, contact the manufacturer myself, and provide some form of proof to kittery...

I was told that if it were a used handgun with a MA origin, it could not be sold to me because it cannot be returned to MA once it is out.

I was told that no modified handgun could be sold out of state and brought into MA. The only modification on this handgun was night sights...

can someone elaborate on this or point me in the right direction as to what the restrictions are for out-of-state handgun purchases?

Also, does the MA approved firearms roster apply to only MA gun dealers, or does it apply to the sale of guns to MA residents by all dealers nationwide?

KTP's ignorance of MA law has been documented here before. You are just another victim of KTP's inadequacy in that regard.

Also, does the MA approved firearms roster apply to only MA gun dealers, or does it apply to the sale of guns to MA residents by all dealers nationwide?

It applies only to MA dealers, but because you can only acquire handguns from a dealer in your own state or from a private party in your own state, all outside handguns would have to go through an MA FFL anyway, which means it effectively applies to dealers in all states.

If KTP won't ship it to a MA FFL, even though you are correct, move on and don't waste your time. KTP is a big operation and their policies are not written by the man/woman you are talking with, so there is zero-chance that you can change their mind.

Sorry.

It applies only to MA dealers, but because you can only acquire handguns from a dealer in your own state or from a private party in your own state, all outside handguns would have to go through an MA FFL anyway, which means it effectively applies to dealers in all states.

makes sense.

I told the salesman I'm new to the whole process, which was why I asked him a few more questions once he gave me the first "no". his answers didn't seem to make much sense... at the time I thought I was getting spoon-fed some of sh*t, but didn't see the point in an argument. I was even thinking from his posture/responses, that he was just trying to get out of the conversation altogether... it's a damn shame, I was ready to buy that handgun from them. now I won't... interesting business practice!

The longer you are into buying and selling guns, the more instances of MA boycott you'll encounter. For most businesses, its easier to just write off MA customers as opposed to staying abreast of its inane laws and running the risk of breaking one.

I was up there today and was fed the same line of horse shit. I'm pissed since they had a used gun at a great price, that I really wanted. Noone there wanted to listen to my complaints - or that it was a MA approved gun (I even printed and brought the list). Their rationale was "we do too much business in firearms that we don't want to risk pissing off the feds." I'm tempted on Monday AM to call and speak to someone up the food chain but on the other hand I never want to spend another dollar in the store. Once I said I want it send it to MA the salesperson immediately put the gun back in the case and didn't speak to me in complete sentences anymore.

Back
Top Bottom