• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed instances of .pdf/paper FA-10 form rejection by MA FRB

It may or may not resemble the current eFA-10, but yes. Transactions will have to be reported immediately prior to or at the point of sale, and cannot proceed unless the state says OK.

Somebody should setup a computerized transfer pyramid using one or more complicit FFLs (to get around the 4 per year rule) and conduct nonstop transfers of thousands of firearms with thousands of purchasers/sellers (all with no money actually changing hands). The state systems would crash in minutes.

It may or may not resemble the current eFA-10, but yes. Transactions will have to be reported immediately prior to or at the point of sale, and cannot proceed unless the state says OK.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get some sort of "pre-background-check" card? Maybe a kind of hard to forge card like a driver's licence that you couldn't get without a detailed background check. We could carry it with us so that we could prove we're not convicted felons without having to have an expensive/nonexistent internet connection with us when buying at a club or in a WalMart parking lot.

Obviously the Police would confiscate it as soon as you're convicted of anything that would disqualify you from having it.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get some sort of "pre-background-check" card? Maybe a kind of hard to forge card like a driver's licence that you couldn't get without a detailed background check. We could carry it with us so that we could prove we're not convicted felons without having to have an expensive/nonexistent internet connection with us when buying at a club or in a WalMart parking lot.

Obviously the Police would confiscate it as soon as you're convicted of anything that would disqualify you from having it.

Yeah. Kind of like the LTC we have to go through a background check to get?

I was HOPING that was your point! A lot of pols would think that was a dandy idea to implement!

Honestly, as completely bone-headed stupid as it might be, I'd prefer an LTC + pre-background check card over LTC + eFA10. (or whatever the new system will be called)

- - - Updated - - -

Should be a good time for those of us that cannot be issued a PIN.

"cannot be issued a PIN"? why not?

Honestly, as completely bone-headed stupid as it might be, I'd prefer an LTC + pre-background check card over LTC + eFA10. (or whatever the new system will be called)

- - - Updated - - -

"cannot be issued a PIN"? why not?

Paper LTC.

Now you can do a pre-check and print it out to validate a LTC. I'll ask Michaela if that can stay as a feature for the xfrs to be done where Internet access is non-existent.

Yes, there are some PDs that don't even have electricity yet. They have to type them up on an old manual typewriter, using a kerosene lantern for light. No kidding there are some PDs w/o Internet access other than dial-up.

[laugh]
[crying]

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, they still exist and aren't expired? What town issues those?

There's still 9 towns IIRC that are not computerized WRT FIDs and LTCs.

Now you can do a pre-check and print it out to validate a LTC. I'll ask Michaela if that can stay as a feature for the xfrs to be done where Internet access is non-existent.

So, you can pre-check a card that took a lot of checks to get. Gotcha. How's that work?

Do I need an internet connection to validate the LTCn pre-check?

I'm joking about that last bit, I hope.

So, you can pre-check a card that took a lot of checks to get. Gotcha. How's that work?

Do I need an internet connection to validate the LTCn pre-check?

I'm joking about that last bit, I hope.

This one one of those things I'm unable to utilize.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

Generate Firearms License Validation

* Use this option to produce proof that your license is valid before you purchase a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from another individual or before you purchase a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun at a gun show or other non-gun shop location.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

* Use this option to produce proof that your license is valid before you purchase a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from another individual or before you purchase a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun at a gun show or other non-gun shop location.
Right now, at least, you have to enroll in MIRCS and have a password. Jack.

Last edited:

OK, that's kinda cool. (with the caveat that the whole system is stupid)

But.. what can you do with that?

You could verify someone's LTC current standing for a FTF transaction

There is no requirement for that, and if their license was revoked they'd take the damn thing. Today you are required to see that they have a FID or LTC and fill out the FA-10. With the eFA-10 it checks that the licenses are valid right there. With the paper forms it would be checked whenever they get around to processing the form.

This is all moot, though. As of March 1, 2015 the law will require use of the web portal for all FTF gun transfers, period, and it will validate the licenses involved.

The LTCs of many states qualify as proof of not being a prohibited person, and no NICS check is required if you have one. List here: http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/permanent-brady-permit-chart

I vaguely remember reading (probably here someplace) that there were only a couple of stupid reasons that current Mass. LTCs don't qualify, I think something about state law still allowing some federally prohibited persons to (in theory) still qualify, plus something about the physical license itself not being good enough?

The Legislature, "in the interest of public safety", want a current background check. Not one that could be as much as 5 or 6 years old.

That was one of their primary reasons.

The Legislature, "in the interest of public safety", want a current background check. Not one that could be as much as 5 or 6 years old.

And the only thing that might possibly get missed is an out of state conviction, as within MA the system will notify issuing authorities promptly of any disqualifying events.

How exactly is the web portal supposed to provide a check beyond the state, though? I don't think it can run NICS as IIRC access to that is for gun dealers doing 4473's only.

... and it's completely bullshit to anyone who's ever even considered getting an LTC.

How long after you become disqualified do men in blue (or black) uniforms sporting badges (or balaclavas) come knocking at your door to relieve you of your plastic card? I'd guess it's "zero" (you get arrested for something and they get it immediately) or within a day (someone files a 209A on you without your knowledge)

It also verifies that the license had not been suspended or revoked.

And it fills in the gaps of Mass's Gun Registration Database, er, I mean, Transfer Validation System.

It means that despite the fact that even though Mass is not authorized to maintain such a database, they will have one.

Please educate me with a citation that prohibits MA from maintaining a database?

AFAIK, there is no such law.

There is Fed Law that prohibits NICS/BATFE from maintaining a database but that has no effect on each state, they can each do as they please.

Please educate me with a citation that prohibits MA from maintaining a database?

AFAIK, there is no such law.

There is Fed Law that prohibits NICS/BATFE from maintaining a database but that has no effect on each state, they can each do as they please.

Then it is my inner crotchety old man speaking.

It simply isn't their place. It isn't a proper function of government to track what tools and property a person owns.

This seems almost more appropriate here than in the funny pictures thread.

syzyrena.jpg

Back
Top Bottom