Confessions of a new mil surp "addict".

2A_Esq.

NES Member
NES Member
Until yesterday, every gun in my safe was black and none were older than I am. I say this as a confession, not as something to brag about. On Sunday, I packed up my wife and kid, and took a drive to Collectible Arms & Ammo. I had my eye on a new AK and a case of 5.56 at a reasonable price and none of the otherwise obligatory contributions to Martha's office.

What I left with was a Mosin (a 1933 Tula Hex), a spam can, and a renewed interest in Russian history.

I have never been more excited after buying a gun. I don't think I was this excited when I bought my first one, and I was up way too late trying to decipher all the proof marks, stamps and other marks on the rifle. Now, I know that what I have is not a priceless antique. It's a shooter for sure. But, it's a connection to the past. To think about what this rifle has seen since 1933; to hold a piece of history that someone once depended on for his life is almost overwhelming. It's armory reconditioned...so, I can't help but wonder, what condition was it in when it came back to the armory? Why was it reconditioned? Was it on a font line somewhere, back in the rear, or did it spend its life in a warehouse?

Unfortunately, I learned the basics of Mosin selection after the fact, so I got lucky in some places, but there are a few issues that I know to avoid next time. But, I wasn't disappointed by the "cons". I was almost glad they were there, and happy for the opportunity to try again. This morning, I was thinking about the Mauser I almost bought instead. Or how for some reason, I NEED a Garand now.

I doubt one old rifle makes me an addict yet, but at some point, I think I'm going to need a bigger safe.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go wipe cosmoline off stuff.

great story! I too have a mosin, and it is my first milsurp. I love the thing. It really is neat to hold such a piece of history and wonder what it's been through.
Enjoy that mosin, and dn't feel bad, youre not the only one who suddenly had an urge to get a garand![laugh]

sorry you got the taste now, the only thing that helps is lackofundsitis...good like and yes you need a garand and a mauser

We all know that 'excited' feeling. I think it's a collectors 'high'.

Welcome to the club; if you don't know a MilSurp answer, one us probably will, or tell you who to talk to.

MS

If it don't have wood it ain't a rifle!!!! lol

Yes the guys at Collectable Arms in Merrimack NH are great people and they now have about 30 Mosin's in stock.

I think they are running a deal/sale on Mosins for the 4th of July... a rifle and a spam can for either $270 or $280..can't remember.

And before anyone jumps on the price and talks about they bought theirs at XXX just a few month ago...over all the price of Mosins are rising
as people start to realize the history, how fun these rifles are to shoot and the ammo is available and cheap!

Now you have to get the other two to have the entire basic "set" of 3....

For additional info check out this site:

Mosin Nagant

What I left with was a Mosin (a 1933 Tula Hex), a spam can, and a renewed interest in Russian history.
I have never been more excited after buying a gun. I don't think I was this excited when I bought my first one, and I was up way too late trying to decipher all the proof marks, stamps and other marks on the rifle.

Did you go to this site to check out the markings? Congrats in joining the ranks of mil-surp. You have started an interesting journey into history.
Warning you may need to buy a third safe!
Russian Proofs & Factory Markings

Thanks for the link...very helpful. I've been on there for most of the night. There are a few that I can't seem to find anywhere, though. All are stamped into the barrel.

1. Square. No line trough it, like the indicated arsenal refurbish mark. I've seen it on other rifles, but not sure what it means.
2. T. Some websites say it is an unknown, rare mark.
3. What looks to me like a lightning bolt, or one half of the SS lightning emblem. I've not seen this one mentioned on a few sites.

There are a bunch of tiny numbers on various places which I may never know, a 6 comes to mind, and I've just started to go through the bolt. The bolt, although the numbers stamped on the barrel, magazine, and bolt "match", the markings do not seem to indicate Tula. More digging is necessary, but I understand this is not unheard of.

And before anyone jumps on the price and talks about they bought theirs at XXX just a few month ago...over all the price of Mosins are rising
as people start to realize the history, how fun these rifles are to shoot and the ammo is available and cheap!

I agree. I was at the ME Cabellas last week and they had a full row of them. $150 each. I was a little suprised at the price but then I looked around and that seems to the going rate today.

Thanks for the link...very helpful. I've been on there for most of the night. There are a few that I can't seem to find anywhere, though. All are stamped into the barrel.

1. Square. No line trough it, like the indicated arsenal refurbish mark. I've seen it on other rifles, but not sure what it means.
2. T. Some websites say it is an unknown, rare mark.
3. What looks to me like a lightning bolt, or one half of the SS lightning emblem. I've not seen this one mentioned on a few sites.

There are a bunch of tiny numbers on various places which I may never know, a 6 comes to mind, and I've just started to go through the bolt. The bolt, although the numbers stamped on the barrel, magazine, and bolt "match", the markings do not seem to indicate Tula. More digging is necessary, but I understand this is not unheard of.

Markings are really hard to identify without pics.

Is the tang dated 1933 as well?

Good job. You need to get yourself a C&R so you can order them 2-3 at a time.

It either saves you money or costs you a small fortune, depending on how you look at it.

I caught the Milsurp bug a few months ago. My bank account's been low and my wallet's been thin every since... It also started with a Mosin. I look forward to seeing your acquisitions to come. And be sure to get in on the next milsurp group buy!

Oh and... [pics]

I don't even like Mosins. I pretty much despise them. But, my first licensed C&R was a Polish M-44 that looked like it had just come straight from the factory (peanut butter colored cosmolene and all).

Got it all torn apart tonight and cleaned up a bit. Once I had the action removed from the stock, I noticed a bit of pitting. Some was on the receiver, but most was on the barrel. All was blued over at some point in time, and one spot looked as though it was struck with a punch, like a gunsmith did a test on it.
WP_20130702_007.jpg
WP_20130702_009.jpg
WP_20130702_011.jpg

The bore and chamber look to be in good condition; fairly bright with distinct lands.

Unless someone here tries to talk me out of it, I'm inclined to have my gunsmith look it over and shoot it.

EDIT:
WP_20130702_018.jpg
Here are the barrel markings, for those interested. (Chalk added for detail. Sorry for the mess.) It is marked Tula 33 under the tang. Does not appear to have ever been rebarreled. The bolt and rear sights have Izvhevsk markings. It has been counterbored, but the rest of the bore looks good.

Last edited:
Very nice!

Might I suggest a Finn M39 for your next. One of the best kept secrets in the mil surp world. ( OK not that much of a secret)

Welcome to the collectors club. Just be aware it will keep you awake at night searching for that next prize ;)

Back
Top Bottom