• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ConditionRed Trauma First Responder medical course, 2/15(resched3/15) 2015 Harvard MA

DrRansom

Instructor
I've worked to bring Chris up from NYC several times, and each time the class has sold out and had extremely positive reviews, especially the scenario-based training modules. I'm excited to offer this to NES (since I finally paid my instructor dues), I think that this training will resonate well with this community. Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, etc. Please also let me know if you are a Harvard Sportmen's Club member, membership has its perks.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Trauma First Responder
[STRIKE=-]Sunday February 15, 2015 9AM – 6PM[/STRIKE] Sunday, March 15 2015
Harvard Sportsmen’s Club, Harvard, MA

Tuition: $150 with preregistration
Instructor: Chris Van Houten, NREMT-P

Going beyond the first aid and CPR courses commonly offered to the public, the Trauma First Responder course was developed specifically for those without any medical training to learn the critical skills necessary to save lives before professional EMS providers arrive on scene.

Based on the Tactical Combat Casualty Care course taught to members of the US Military and refined with 20 years of evidence-based medicine, participants will leave this course knowing how to control massive bleeding (including how to correctly apply a tourniquet), how to create and maintain a patient airway, when to transport a patient, what the most critical piece of information a 911 dispatcher needs to know, and also, just as important, when not to intervene.

Taught by an experienced 20+ year NYC paramedic, students will leave knowing what does and doesn’t work in the real world. The course will be a mix of lecture and hands on practical skills culminating in an intense scenario where students will apply everything they’ve learned. This is a rare opportunity for those who want to learn the skills to save their loved ones if they ever find themselves in a time-is-life situation.

The time to train and prepare your self is before the emergency, sign up today!

Instructor Background

Christopher Van Houten is a nationally registered critical care paramedic with 20 years of New York City Emergency Medical Service (EMS) experience. Chris serves as northeast regional (Region 1) faculty for the Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) program, the pre-hospital battlefield medicine course used by all branches of the U.S. military as well as NATO. He instructs TCCC courses for local, municipal and federal high-risk law enforcement teams, as well as members of the Department of Defense. He is also a contracted Wilderness Medicine Instructor.

He is currently assisting in the development of custom tactical and austere environment medical programs for the NY Office FBI SWAT Team, the DEA New York Field Division, Immigration and Customs Enforcement SERT, and the New York City Police Department Organized Crime Control Bureau. He also provides tactical medical support for these teams upon request.

Last edited:
I get a lot of questions about tourniquet usage leading up to these Trauma classes; the following article is a good primer to some of them. Taking this class is better and a more comprehensive solution, we'll be talking and working with TQs in depth, and applying their usage in training scenarios. There are still a few slots left in the class, but they are first-come, first-served.

http://www.traumamonkeys.com/home/2014/11/9/5-myths-about-tourniquets

With over a month left before this class, slots are filling up, and the course is over half-full...sign up and see why this medical training is worth bringing to MA.

First, I have to preface this by saying I'm not an EMT or a mall ninja wannabe, but I do have some experience with first response and trauma. I worked for 10+ years in a local hospital's clinical lab and worked as part of the level II trauma team starting IVs and collecting labs. This was an outstanding class. Relaxed atmosphere and a ton of hands on. If this comes around again, go. You wont be sorry.

Hi to all,

I missed this Trauma First Responder training course and I was wondering if it is going to be held again any time soon?

Thanks,

Joe Quinn

Today, I had a co-worker fall down a flight of stairs and I was able to render aid (because my company takes safety seriously) by forming an on site SAM splint and wrapping the injury in self adherent wrap until more advanced medical intervention could arrive. 3 years later and this event is still reaping benefits...thanks to those who set this up!

Please do this again--I'll drag my #3 son and my ass there for more training! Chris Van Houten is the man!

Back
Top Bottom