1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Condensed Wood Bricks? (Okanagan 'Okie' Bricks)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by boiler_eng, Jul 12, 2018.

1. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Find your local kiln dried firewood man. Split and season your own to supplement, if you have time to work hard enough you can be self sufficient. Cheap ass unseasoned crap makes burning harder. I find those bricks great as a supplement but not workable as a primary fuel.

Burn some nice dry wood, you’ll never go back.

2. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ NES Member

Everyone's covered it pretty well so far, but I'll throw my two cents in.

I've got an EPA-rated non-catalyst stove that I can load up with anything that's dry enough. I end up heating to 50 degrees with propane and then supplementing with wood to go anything warmer than that. It ends up being about a cord and a half per year if I'm burning all hardwood, or about three if I'm burning all pine.

The best I've found for my stove are the small BioBricks made down in CT. They hold together better than a lot of the other products, which means less unburned stuff in the ash bun, and less ash overall. It also means that they burn much more efficiently - I can get a full overnight burn now that I know how to load properly (no air gaps between blocks, primary air intake turned down to about 10% open once I've hit operating temp).

At $265 for a pallet, the 40% cost increase was something I was thinking about. I'm not sure it's as bad as 40% if your stove burns them well. There's certainly a difference in efficiency, though I'm really not sure how to measure it. I know that I've burned about a cord of pine so far this year, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through the pallet of BioBricks in the same period of time. I pretty much only burn overnight, and one night's worth of pine is usually two to three carriers worth of pine, versus a single package of bricks.

3. boiler_eng

boiler_eng

Wow what a progression 6 months has been. In July I had 1 cord seasoned wood.

Ended up getting two pallets of bricks in September. October the wood guy I used went up in price so I decided to buy a chainsaw. By November scrounged I think a little over 1 cord from around the neighborhood. By now I have only gotten 1/3-1/2 a cord split (work schedule and weather kicked my ass this fall) but am already trying to put a line in with anyone I see who might be having tree work done nearby.

Current pallets of bricks and the boxes are Northern Idaho Energy Logs
    20190118_051654.jpg

My "shorts" bin, because "free" means I did not get to pick the length
    20181215_123011.jpg

Some of the roadside finds.
    IMG_20181022_165356607.jpg

4. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

This

5. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Oh thanks!

With the mild weather and some small but nagging physical problems, I've forgotten to check my supply of Biobrick this season.

Add that to my "to-do" list for today.

6. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ NES Member

Nice.

I've been scrounging from sites where they're clearing land. Take the truck w/ trailer to work instead of the car a couple of days a week, load the thing up on the way home, and split it all on its way off the trailer.

I think I've gotten almost a cord and a half in the past few weeks.