• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conceled Carry - Law Enforcement

Quick question regarding conceled carry....

I have a Class A LTC without restriction and don't expect to carry conceled often if ever. My firearm is a Beretta 9mm FS - exclusively for range use thus far.

That being said, I'd want to be comfortable that if I had to carry (on my hip, under my jacket) that I'd not be stopped by law enforcement if they noticed the "print" or a small bulge.

I'd think 90% of citizens would never give it a second thought - but was wondering if LEO's are better trained or have experience to such a degree that they would notice. And if noticed - what action if any would they take?

Thoughts from those of you in Law Enforcement?

Not LEO, though I must admit that I'm pretty good at spotting people who carry. I generally don't say anything though. Concealed means concealed. Buy different types of holsters and find out which is best at concealing. Also, work out your wardrobe and find out what styles best conceal. Look yourself in the mirror or have your friends/ GF check you out and see if they can spot anything.

One thing you need to remember, is that your the only one that knows that the bump in your shirt is a gun handle. Ton's of people have phones and keychains on their belt clip that portude. Be a wolf amongst the sheep

PS. Why wouldn't you Carry? I don't get it.

Conceled carry...follow-up

Thank you for your thoughts....

I've got a outside the pants hip holster that does a pretty decent job of conceling even a full frame beretta 9mm when I wear a jacket - but if you were looking for it you'd certainly notice something was there.

The biggest question is, if a LEO notices what do you think their reaction would be if any?

Regarding my decision not to carry.... I live & work in a very safe area and would have a hard time justifying carrying all the time. Are there really that many "low risk" folks who carry all the time? I guess you don't know what you don't see.

Printing isn't illegal in Mass so a LEO has no reason to detain you just for a "bulge" under your shirt because he thinks you may be carrying a gun. Now if he had probable cause to think you committed a crime he could detain and search you.

You will have a better chance of building up your confidence
carrying if you use a more "carry friendly" pistol and a high quality
IWB holster. The setup you have now will make you work hard
to keep the printing down and just add to your anxiety.

In the last year or two, GOAL printed a story in the Message about a Massachusetts man who was carrying when he went to pick up a take-out pizza. IIRC, a gust of wind opened his coat, inadvertently displaying his gun to a passing police officer. The police officer stopped the man, checked his LTC-A, and sent him on his way. The police officer then reported the incident to the chief. Who then revoked the man's LTC based on suitability.

If your 92 is printing, try a different holster or a different gun. It is best to reduce the printing as much as possible.

Saint,

The one lesson life has taught me, is that you will never know when you'll need protection. Tis better to at least have it always and never use it, then to need it once and not have it. God speed, and good luck with the concealment. I carry a large pistol and conceal it under a sweatshirt. Granted I may not be able to draw it out as fast as dirty harry, but Its at least on me

Saint,

I don't know what a "safe area" is any more, given what's been in the news over the last year or so.

Anyway, I normally carry a Pock-Its with a leatherman tool and a Maglight on my right hip (it's there now) and it makes a nice big bulge under a coat. No one has EVER even commented on it. People mostly see expect what they expect to see. Go ahead and carry if you want; odds are no one will notice.

You could also take the GOAL "Art of Concealed Carry" class in Northboro - next class that has openings is in May. Maybe I'll see you there; I'm taking it - again. Refresher.

I carry everyday.

Whether a PO will take notice and ask you about it depends on where you are. Its my experience that many are clueless.

As Ross says, there are no "safe areas" anymore and one never knows when you'll need it.

So, a
a pretty decent job of conceling
isn't doing the job. Afterall, the BGs are scoping out their next victim as well. [grin]

I check people out constantly (on and off duty) and if I see what appears to be a weapon and I'm working, I ask them if they are carrying. Most people who I see that are carrying do not fit the profile of a criminal so I don't usually bother unless I am in direct contact with them. I've never had a problem with people who are licensed. Those who are carrying unlicensed, when confronted, do one of 2 things-run/fight or give it up. And Jaxon, it's my experience that most POs are not clueless.
When it comes to concealed carry, I've only run into 2 POs in almost 20 years who are against it. 99% are strongly for it and against all gun control. I'd also say the law enforcement community as a whole is pro RKBA/CCW, more so than the general population.

I find the easiest way to notice if someone is carrying is when they open their wallet. The LTC is normally the most identifiable thing in there. I see this all the time when out shopping or paying for anything.

I find the easiest way to notice if someone is carrying is when they open their wallet. The LTC is normally the most identifiable thing in there. I see this all the time when out shopping or paying for anything.
Amazing ... and something I have covered in courses I teach for years when we get to the topic "Is it better to stand out like a turd in a punchbowl or get lost in a crowd of one?"

That's why I carry mine in a separate wallet. :)

Yeah I also know lots of guys who carry their LTCs right behind their Drivers License.

Myself its deep in the wallet, only comes out to buy things.

Yeah I also know lots of guys who carry their LTCs right behind their Drivers License.

Myself its deep in the wallet, only comes out to buy things.
Well, mine is behind my drivers license... about 8 cards deep, so, like yours, the only time it sees the light of day is when I want it to.

I check people out constantly (on and off duty) and if I see what appears to be a weapon and I'm working, I ask them if they are carrying. Most people who I see that are carrying do not fit the profile of a criminal so I don't usually bother unless I am in direct contact with them. I've never had a problem with people who are licensed. Those who are carrying unlicensed, when confronted, do one of 2 things-run/fight or give it up. And Jaxon, it's my experience that most POs are not clueless.
When it comes to concealed carry, I've only run into 2 POs in almost 20 years who are against it. 99% are strongly for it and against all gun control. I'd also say the law enforcement community as a whole is pro RKBA/CCW, more so than the general population.

What happens to these POs when they become CLEOs. Is there some
sort of brainwashing camp some of them need to go to. Or is it just
that to become a CLEO one must kiss the mayors A$$? Which would
mean the anti CLEO's are spineless.

I'm not dissagreeing with you. I know many POs who are all on our
side. And the CLEO in my town is also green. It just bothers me to
read about the others.

I would like to carry more often,but I have four kids 7,8,9 an 10 and they climb on me like a jugle gym so I try not discurage them from hugging and playing with me .Idont want them to be afaid of hanging on me.

I would like to carry more often,but I have four kids 7,8,9 an 10 and they climb on me like a jugle gym so I try not discurage them from hugging and playing with me .Idont want them to be afaid of hanging on me.

Well, I don't carry at home (which I assume these activities take place). [thinking]

Just because one is carrying a card doesn't mean one is carrying something else. I don't think people take their license out of their wallet each time they put the gun away.

I worry about a lot of things. I don't worry that someone might get a quick glimpse of the top 1/8" my LTC in my wallet and guess that I'm carrying. After all, what type of persons here in MA would actually recognize an LTC? Cops and LTC holders, the two types of people that I'm not particularly worried about.

Well, my LTC is clearly visible when I open my wallet - I have little to no choice. I live in the very Green town of Tyringham, but we are issued the giant old fashioned flimsy LTC's, (I trimmed mine as much as humanly possible, but it's still a friggin billboard).

I also disagree that most LEO's are "clueless". In fact, when I was in the Holyoke Mall a few years ago Christmas shopping, I ran into two very nice PO's that noticed my Colt Defender sticking out from under my shirt. I was hot and wearing a fleece pullover. When I took it off, the shirt I was wearing underneath bunched up behind my pistol as I sat waiting. They noticed the bulge, approached me from two angles and one nicely asked: "Sir, it's clear to us that you're carrying a weapon - are you licensed to carry in this state?" "Yes sir, I am" I replied. "Do you mind if we check your FID sir?" "Not at all", says I. Once I flashed them my CCW badge....okay kidding....showed them my LTC, they sat down next to me and asked me to make sure I kept my gun covered, so I wouldn't make folks nervous. I apologized profusely, but they reassured me it was okay and they spent the next 15 minutes with me talking guns and asking me how I liked my Colt, then gave me a wink and thumbs up when my wife walked out of Fredericks.... [wink]

Last edited:
concealed carry

in mass it is the law that when a PO askes if you are carrying( or do you have any weapons on you) you must inform..otherwise you do not have to give the info...otherwise it is a crime...

carry of any weapons

got your email 1911 and I guess I was wrong...so go out tonight and have a lEO ask you if have any weapons on you and have your gun on you concealed and answer NO..and if he finds it watch what happens...that is why they make lawyers I guess..do some research on the laws of different states along with mass. You don't go out and get a gun and learn how to put bullets in..it is your responsibility to know the law...

Ken:

There's a difference between what is a wise recommendation and what the law requires. You asserted that

in mass it is the law that when a PO askes if you are carrying( or do you have any weapons on you) you must inform

and I'm asking you again, please, what law says that? I'm not aware of any such law. I'm not saying there isn't one, rather that I'm just not aware of it. If you know it to be the law, then please provide us with a citation. Here's a link to most of the Massachusetts gun laws: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-140-toc.htm

Where in there does it state that I must inform a police officer that I'm carrying when asked?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you should not reply if a police officer asks you if you are carrying. What I'm asking is what law states you must answer that question? I'm not a lawyer nor an expert on the MA gun laws and am always open to someone clarifying my understanding.

Last edited:

what right do you have to ask them if they are carrying if they are not the suspect of a crime? Not to be rude, but i would tell you to take a hike and go on my merry way.

Back
Top Bottom