• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

concealment methods / levels of concealment

Looking for some opinions on conceiled carry and if anyone has had issues with this or open carry

Just wear a polo shirt un-tucked and you will be good to go. Many like the IWB holsters, I prefer a hip holster.

I've been having good luck with a cheapy IWB and long shirts. I carry in the 7-8 o-clock (lefty) position comfortably. Kneeling down to tie a shoe, and sitting are not a problem. Bending over without bending the knees does print a little.

Carrying concealed means concealed. Make sure the shirt is long enough (if your not using an IWB holster) to cover the muzzle of the gun. Make sure it is long enough that if you're in the market and have to reach to the top shelf, nothing pokes out under the shirt. (I had a friend who's "little budy" poked out under his shirt - the cops were called by someone and he was questioned. While nothing happened to him (he knew one of the cops that responded) it still made a bit of a scene and it could have been worse if he hadn't known one of them.)

While imprinting on the shirt isn't illegal, it's not a good idea - just make sure the shirt is also loose enough.

Sorry I'm in mass and I was wondering about conceilment because I was getting different opinions from people about what was legal or not. Then I read the mass ltc laws and it didn't state anything about conceilment so I was under the impression that you really don't have to conceil by law it's just done so people don't panic when seeing the weapon. I personally like to conceal I wouldn't walk around with open carry I just wanted to know what lengths you have to go to for a cop not to drop you and put cuffs on you because of the gun showing. I have a S&W 45C and it's not really the easiest gun to carry conceiled because of how bulky it is even though it's a compact. I am looking into getting something else for carry but I really like the one I have.

FWIW you can carry large guns concealed- you just have to be more careful with holster/belt/clothing choices. I used to carry a P226 from time to time years ago, even during the summer- but I had to be careful about what kind of shirts I wore, etc.

-Mike

As has been discussed here many times (and can be found via searching), open carry is legal in MA. However, given that MA has discretionary licensing, most of us do not recommend open carry, and recommend that you use proper concealment.

There are many ways different ways to carry concealed, from pocket carry, to "smart carry" holsters, to IWB, to OWB, cross-draw, shoulder holster, etc. All have advantages and disadvantages.

As for cover garments, you can wear a polo shirt, an open shirt, a photographer's vest, etc. Heavier, thicker, darker garments will typically conceal better than thinner, lighter garments.

Fortunately, most people are in condition white and are unlikely to notice if your handgun prints.

Back
Top Bottom