• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Handgun Permits Soar in Colorado

MaverickNH

NES Member
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/11/concealed-gun-permits-soar/

Concealed gun permits soar
By Myung Oak Kim, Rocky Mountain News

Concealed gun permit applications rose almost 50 percent statewide between 2006 and 2007, a rise attributed in part to renewals, according to the state sheriffs association.

In 2007, 9,880 people applied for concealed gun permits, compared to 6,649 the year before, according to the new report by the County Sheriffs of Colorado.

Don Christensen, executive director of the sheriffs group, said he believes the rise is due to people renewing applications that had expired after five years.

"I don't believe there's ... a fear of being out in the public," he said.

But El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa believes the sharp rise in applications in his county was caused by a reaction to highly publicized shootings there and across the country.

Maketa said applications rose 87 percent in his county, and most of those were for new permits rather than renewals. He said spikes in applications happened directly after high profile shootings like the Utah mall shooting, the Virginia Tech massacre and the New Life Church gun battle — all happened in 2007.

Maketa said he's not concerned about the county's growing number of legally armed people. In fact, he said he believes law-abiding citizens make the region safer by getting the permits.

"Actually, I wish it was a higher number, because I know from experience that offenders in the jail system tell me they avoid crimes against people because they know there is a very high concealed-carry rate," Maketa said.

About 8,400 El Paso County residents now have active concealed-carry permits.

Do you suppose criminals watch the news and, seeing stories about these mass shootings in Gun-Free Zones, say to themselves - "I need to get a gun"?

Maketa said he's not concerned about the county's growing number of legally armed people. In fact, he said he believes law-abiding citizens make the region safer by getting the permits.

You will rarely if ever here this in MA. Kudos to Maketa, it would be nice to elect a Sheriff like that in MA, oh wait our Sheriffs are basically useless here.[rolleyes]

"Actually, I wish it was a higher number, because I know from experience that offenders in the jail system tell me they avoid crimes against people because they know there is a very high concealed-carry rate," Maketa said.

This is music to my ears. Too bad we won't hear this around here.

God I need sleep. I just mixed too thread titles into one. I thought this title said

"concealed handcuff permits soar in Colorado"... i got totally excited, i was like 10mins from booking a flight over there and have some hotty handcuff me, and then probably steal my wallet and car keys...but if she's hot enough it could be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom