• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed handgun and no permit in CT

yeibitchai12

Banned
First post and I already have a question. For those in Connecticut, what is the penalty if you got caught carrying a concealed hand gun and had a pistol permit, but it was not actually on your person? Like if you forgot your wallet or something. Do you get arrested and charged with a Class D felony or lose your gun? I've looked everywhere and even emailed my town and the SFLU and all they will say is they can call it in from the field and check the database with your name and social. I want to know what happens after that and they're not too forthcoming. Thanks in advance.

No idea, but in NH I keep my CCW in my shoe. That way I can make the cop take my shoe off, getting a nice whiff...and putting my shoe back on and tying my shoe for me. I'm an ass. I know. So far since I started doing this I haven't been stopped yet. Yeah, my permit has gotten a bit icky as well, but it's still in readable condition. I'm going to likely put it in syran wrap soon to prevent further decay.

First post and I already have a question. For those in Connecticut, what is the penalty if you got caught carrying a concealed hand gun and had a pistol permit, but it was not actually on your person? Like if you forgot your wallet or something. Do you get arrested and charged with a Class D felony or lose your gun? I've looked everywhere and even emailed my town and the SFLU and all they will say is they can call it in from the field and check the database with your name and social. I want to know what happens after that and they're not too forthcoming. Thanks in advance.

I don't think there's an actual statute that says you must keep your permit on your person while carrying a handgun, therefore I don't think there would be any "standard" penalty for being caught without it.

Well, I posted it three times to maximize responses. Looks like it worked. [wink]

Uh, thanks, Negotiator. [rolleyes]

Not a bad thought, but it's been my experience that redundant/duplicate posts are often frowned upon in online forums...especially this one. YMMV, though. Anyway, welcome to to forum! Hope your question gets answered.

Well, I posted it three times to maximize responses. Looks like it worked. [wink]

Uh, thanks, Negotiator. [rolleyes]

Welcome to NES.
In the future don't post the same thread in different forums. I've deleted your other 2 threads and moved this to the appropriate forum.

Thanks JonJ. What I don't like is that since there's nothing in writing, it could be left up to the individual officer who could do anything from giving a warning to arresting someone and hauling them off to jail until someone brings in their ID. CT is such a blue state, that the latter wouldn't surprise me at all. After all, open carry is technically legal since there's no laws prohibiting it, but the SFLU's and BFPE's stances are that if it's exposed and "causes alarm" to another person, you risk losing that gun and having your permit revoked. [rolleyes]

Academics aside - do you want to be a test case?

No, I don't want to be a "test case". You can't tell me I'm the only one who's run out of the house and forgotten their wallet. I always have a pocket pistol on me, but I don't like sitting on my wallet when I'm home, so I take it out. No one's ever ran out of the house for a quick trip to grab something and left their wallet behind? Anyone that says no. Pure BS.

Thanks for the link uzi, but that doesn't help. It only references carrying and not having a permit at all. Not my scenario.

Anyway, according to the XO of the SFLU, there is nothing in writing, but they make the rules. What they pass on to the town PDs is to have the officer confiscate the gun. Then call in the person's name and social to see if they're in the permit database. Then try to verify the person via papers in the car, etc. Don't arrest if they are in the database. At that point, it's like a speeding ticket and officer's discretion. He can write a ticket or just give a warning. He will give a property custody receipt and say where it can be retrieved once that person comes in with his permit/ID.

Now, the scary part. Since there's nothing codified, individual towns have the leeway to make their own policies and a person could still be arrested and jailed until someone brought their ID in and still face legal issues. The permit can be subject to revocation and the firearm not returned without legal action.

HA!! A call to the DPS would answer this issue.

Nope. I'll take the email in writing directly from the SFLU should I ever need it. It may not be "official", but it's in writing.

As for a person getting caught with a concealed handgun and the permit not on them. I was thinking of a scenario where someone got in a bad car accident. The EMTs are sure to find it and turn it over to LE on scene and was wondering how you'd get busted if they found no wallet/ID/permit.

Has no one else ever wondered this? Seriously?

No idea, but in NH I keep my CCW in my shoe. That way I can make the cop take my shoe off, getting a nice whiff...and putting my shoe back on and tying my shoe for me. I'm an ass. I know. So far since I started doing this I haven't been stopped yet. Yeah, my permit has gotten a bit icky as well, but it's still in readable condition. I'm going to likely put it in syran wrap soon to prevent further decay.

This is the best post I've read all day!

I'm glad you found this out, I'll keep that in mind when I use my CT non-res.

You can't tell me I'm the only one who's run out of the house and forgotten their wallet. I always have a pocket pistol on me, but I don't like sitting on my wallet when I'm home, so I take it out. No one's ever ran out of the house for a quick trip to grab something and left their wallet behind?

I used to have this same problem, a fat wallet causing issues. To solve this, for awhile I left my wallet locked in my car's glove compartment, which worked great until my car caught on fire and everything burned. [shocked]

This is a picture of my summer carry setup:

n845780149_5821497_5740.jpg

I got the card wallet in the picture at American Eagle for $13 or so, and it solved my problem. It's slim enough to slip in my front pocket and not be an issue, but it holds the 8 cards I have in it (including 4 LTC's) without issue. I put my keys and card wallet on the dresser when I get home, so it's pretty hard for me to forget.

Also, since I live in Mass., I keep my FID card and an expired temporary paper driver's license in my glove compartment with my registration, so I always have some kind of ID in the car.

Thanks again for checking this out, you're getting a rep point for it.

gsg,
thats way more than I would ever carry. wow.

To the original poster, lets apply some common sense.

Try to remember your permit.
If you accidentally leave the house without it, dont sweat it. It is a minor infraction at most.

Finally, do some things to mitigate the problems if you do forget it.
I am a forgetful type of person so here are a few of the things I do:

1) color scanned my permit and laminated it to the back of my drivers license. Now that 1 card has drivers license on front, pistol permit on back.
2) color copies of my permit in the glove box of all cars
3) permit number written in sharpie on the mags of my carry guns

Not perfect, but its worked for me. As to the question of why not carry my permit all the time. Well, I've had to produce my drivers license for police more often (much) than I've had to produce a pistol permit. Invariably the officer sees the permit and freaks out. (I've been asked to get out of my car and place my hands on the trunk twice)

I'm also a big fan of carrying only the minimal amount of ID required for the task at hand. Thats right, I'm one of those a55holes who as a passenger in a car would refuse to provide ID to a police officer. Its my right.

So if I dont have a gun, I dont have a permit. If I'm not driving, I dont have a license.

Hope the above suggestions were helpful.

Don

One other thing. As to your scenario re you sitting in a cell while somebody brought your permit to the police station. In CT thats not a reasonable scenario.

The State police have a system, (that is also used by most towns) that allows the officer to input your name, address, drivers lic number, etc into a lookup. When he does this he can see if you have a permit. In addition he can view the license photos from your drivers license AND your pistol permit.

So. . there is never any reason an officer could not confirm your identity. He can pull up a picture of you right on his mobile data terminal.

I was recently given a motor vehicle ticket in New London. The officers asked for my social security number. I refused. They had my drivers license. They told me that if I didnt provide it for them they would have to take me in.

I asked for the statute that required me to carry a SS card in order to drive. They told me that it was just another method to "make sure you are who you say you are".

I suggested they make use of my drivers license and compare it with its picture, to my face, to the face on their mobile data terminal. They werent happy with me, but did not take me in.

Don

gsg,
thats way more than I would ever carry. wow.

That's just my summer carry. [smile]

Actually, I very rarely carry the flashlight, generally only if I'm going to be out and about for a long period at night. The pepper spray kubaton on the keychain is Mexican carried on my left hip most of them time, and the rest of it is just a habit to leave the house with.

In the winter it's the same setup, only it's generally with a G32 (compact .357) or G31 (full sized .357) carried OWB instead of the G33 (pictured sub-compact .357).

What do you usually carry?

The only time I don't have my wallet on me is when I'm sleeping. It's like a security blanket for me to have my keys, phone and wallet on me all the time, haha.

My daily carry is pretty similar to GSG's, save for the flashlight.

I asked for the statute that required me to carry a SS card in order to drive.

Of course the policy of the Social Security Administration is that the SSN should never be used for ID (except for them, of course). And the policy of the state is that a driver's license should never be used for ID (except for them, of course).

It's a $35 fine

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions.
(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited.
(c) Any person violating any provision of subsection (b) of section 29-35 shall have committed an infraction and shall be fined thirty-five dollars.

That's a great find Jumpmaster. Thanks. I looked all over for that. Just goes to show the law in CT doesn't know shit!

Back
Top Bottom