Concealed firearms permits up sharply

Concern for personal safety lies behind the increase, gun rights advocates say.

Brian Boshea, a Limerick nurse taking a concealed weapons training course, says concern about home invasions and other violent crimes has fueled his desire to carry a gun for protection.
click image to enlarge

"I've decided to become more responsible for my own safety rather than relying on law enforcement," said Boshea, a 52-year-old surgical technologist.

Concern about crime and personal safety is behind a sharp increase in the number of concealed firearms permits issued by the Maine State Police, firearms instructors and gun rights advocates say.

The number of people seeking concealed gun permits from the state police in 2009 was 5,706, an increase of 40 percent over 2008. Portland, the state's largest city, saw a 60 percent increase.

READ MORE

Interesting comments from the chief:

Portland Police Chief James Craig said he was startled at the number of concealed firearms permits issued in Maine compared with Los Angeles, where he worked previously.

Los Angeles had a high crime rate and approved relatively few concealed firearms permits, while Maine has a low crime rate and is fairly liberal in granting the permits, he said.

But in Maine, granting concealed weapons permits has not increased crime, he said.

What amazes me is we have decades of data that support it but sheep like him still don't get it.

It's not about crime, it's about the relationship between the government and the governed. Even if the antis were to agree with you on all the facts, it would not change the type of relationship they want to see mandated between the government and the populace.

The "armed pilot" program is an example. Congress couldn't simply pass a law allowing air transport pilots to be armed - they had to create a special flavor of LE ("Federal Flight Deck Officer") so it would fit into the mould of an an armed servant of the government, not a legally armed private citizen.

It's not about crime, it's about the relationship between the government and the governed. Even if the antis were to agree with you on all the facts, it would not change the type of relationship they want to see mandated between the government and the populace.

The "armed pilot" program is an example. Congress couldn't simply pass a law allowing air transport pilots to be armed - they had to create a special flavor of LE ("Federal Flight Deck Officer") so it would fit into the mould of an an armed servant of the government, not a legally armed private citizen.

Rob, this is EXACTLY the type of governmental (state) abuse that I refer to in my post in another thread. Government is and has been for a long time, on a consistant and continuous path of diminishing the rights of citizens under any disguise they can, whether its the passage of bogus laws, the hiring of and tolerance of the abusive cop on the street or the FFDO on the plane or the multitudes of dim witted morons who were flipping hamburgers last week and are now walking around our airport with TSA patches on their shirts.

I think our out of control government is by far a greater threat to the people of this country in every way shape and form than is the common criminal......and that opinion is shared by a large majority of citizens in this country.

I think our out of control government is by far a greater threat to the people of this country in every way shape and form than is the common criminal......and that opinion is shared by a large majority of citizens in this country.

More of the "common folk" are waking up every day. Hopefully we'll be able to wrest control of the legislative brance come November which will all but insure Oblabla becoming a lame duck.

Back
Top Bottom