Concealed firearms and routine traffic stops (in MA): What is proper protocol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When getting pulled over during a routine traffic stop while carrying concealed should one: (Assuming the officer did not ask if there are any firearms present in the vehicle.)

A.) Volunteer no information unless asked directly. (This prevents a routine traffic stop from turning into a cluster F*CK if the officer decides to run the firearm, etc.)

B.) Hand a copy of your LTC to the officer along with your license and state that you have a firearm in the car.

I was watching an episode of Alaska State Troopers the other night (I know it's not Mass.) and a Trooper confiscated a firearm from an individual and put him in handcuffs because the person did not inform the Trooper that he had a firearm right away. (The firearm was legal and the person had a permit.) The Trooper stated that, in Alaska, one MUST tell an officer immediately that there is a firearm present in the vehicle.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the proper protocol would be for MA. I am sure that different officers may view the situation differently, but are we, as MA residents, required to disclose that we are carrying before the question is asked?

I asked this during the LTC course and they said, "No, you don't have to say anything unless asked." But, is that correct?

A is correct, and there is a thread on the same topic started today.

Or you could let them know you have a gun on your hip before you go reaching for stuff so you don't get shot. Just saying. Use common sense. Most cops aren't out to get you if it is a "routine traffic stop." You can make both your lives easier by just being honest, you don't have to, but that would be my advice.

Mike

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Actually lying to the police is a crime in Ma, Spcifically MGL 268 13B Its under Witness interference & Obstruction of justice. " The suspect directly or indirectly or wilfully threatens, promises MISLEADS Intimidates or harasses another person who is a witness, Police Officer, Judicial Officer, Juror with the intent to: impeade, delay, obstruct, harm or otherwise intefere with any criminal investigation,grand jury proceeding trial or other criminal proceeding. Its a ten year felony. Its not a law that gets used alot but it has been used.

Do we really need two threads on this in one day? Someone que the Mazda. [rofl]. See M1911's post above for the real thread.

I'm not merging this because there's no additional content.

I find it mind numbing that this is a dupe.

I think it's some kinda conspiracy. [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom