Concealed firearms and routine traffic stops (in MA): What is proper protocol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When getting pulled over during a routine traffic stop while carrying concealed should one: (Assuming the officer did not ask if there are any firearms present in the vehicle.)

A.) Volunteer no information unless asked directly. (This prevents a routine traffic stop from turning into a cluster F*CK if the officer decides to run the firearm, etc.)

B.) Hand a copy of your LTC to the officer along with your license and state that you have a firearm in the car.

I was watching an episode of Alaska State Troopers the other night (I know it's not Mass.) and a Trooper confiscated a firearm from an individual and put him in handcuffs because the person did not inform the Trooper that he had a firearm right away. (The firearm was legal and the person had a permit.) The Trooper stated that, in Alaska, one MUST tell an officer immediately that there is a firearm present in the vehicle.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the proper protocol would be for MA. I am sure that different officers may view the situation differently, but are we, as MA residents, required to disclose that we are carrying before the question is asked?

I asked this during the LTC course and they said, "No, you don't have to say anything unless asked." But, is that correct?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Or you could let them know you have a gun on your hip before you go reaching for stuff so you don't get shot. Just saying. Use common sense. Most cops aren't out to get you if it is a "routine traffic stop." You can make both your lives easier by just being honest, you don't have to, but that would be my advice.

Mike

stinx

NES Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Actually lying to the police is a crime in Ma, Spcifically MGL 268 13B Its under Witness interference & Obstruction of justice. " The suspect directly or indirectly or wilfully threatens, promises MISLEADS Intimidates or harasses another person who is a witness, Police Officer, Judicial Officer, Juror with the intent to: impeade, delay, obstruct, harm or otherwise intefere with any criminal investigation,grand jury proceeding trial or other criminal proceeding. Its a ten year felony. Its not a law that gets used alot but it has been used.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Do we really need two threads on this in one day? Someone que the Mazda. [rofl]. See M1911's post above for the real thread.

I'm not merging this because there's no additional content.

I find it mind numbing that this is a dupe.

I think it's some kinda conspiracy. [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom