Concealed carrying passerby stops store robbery in progress

I would prefer to think that most people on NES would have kept walking after helping out and wouldn't have stuck around to be interviewed by the press or LE.

no...I got flamed and called an internet tough guy in one thread for saying I'd intervene in a robbery where the clerk had a gun pointed at him. Waaaaay too many NESers carry guns just for the fun of having a heavy weight on their belt.

We have no choice. Many of us live in the PRM.

Totally on-board with BattleSnail. I'm amazed at the responses in some threads.

There was a thread not to long ago about a clerk being held at gunpoint and you are carrying.. what would you do. It turns out the general consensus here was lay on the floor and hope the guy doesn't come after you..

That shit blew my mind.

no...I got flamed and called an internet tough guy in one thread for saying I'd intervene in a robbery where the clerk had a gun pointed at him. Waaaaay too many NESers carry guns just for the fun of having a heavy weight on their belt.

I had a thread about me getting between my friend and her bf that had a knife while she was holding her baby. Some people where like you should of left.

When I was in highschool,
I got stabbed at a skate park when I stopped a bunch of punks beating on a little kid for getting in there way.

Personally I could not walk away . I'd feel guilty of that person got hurt, and all I did is walk away .

I had a thread about me getting between my friend and her bf that had a knife while she was holding her baby. Some people where like you should of left.

When I was in highschool,
I got stabbed at a skate park when I stopped a bunch of punks beating on a little kid for getting in there way.

Personally I could not walk away . I'd feel guilty of that person got hurt, and all I did is walk away .

that's how I see it....I couldn't morally live with doing nothing and watching someone get killed. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

For the record most of the people who would do nothing are MA people so it's not surprising. Selfishness is pretty much the norm here, but we're not all like that.

that's how I see it....I couldn't morally live with doing nothing and watching someone get killed. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

For the record most of the people who would do nothing are MA people so it's not surprising. Selfishness is pretty much the norm here, but we're not all like that.

I'm from mass lol Warwick = Germany bass company .
I think its a combo of the way I was raised . And growing up basically def. so I know how it is to be picked on etc .

Idk how I'd react at a store being robbed plus being out numbered. I wouldn't just shoot but I also wouldn't just walk a way

It is all situation dependent. Story robbery where they are using violence (already pistol whipped the clerk), I'd like to think I would do something. Store robbery where force hasn't been used, and your gut feeling is it won't be, sometimes doing nothing is the best. Depending on where you are exactly and what is going on, you may or may not even be in a position to do something effectively.

There are situations where, in theory, I wouldn't hesitate to act. There are situations where I'd be very hesitant to do anything. And everywhere in between. Now there are people who unless they or their family were directly in danger wouldn't do anything regardless of the situation. They like to occasionally poke their heads in around here.

How about just yelling at the guys while you call 911? I did that once when a guy was beating on his girlfriend (pretty sure she was anyway), and he stopped long enough for her to get in her car and drive off.

I'm the same way, for better or worse. When I was in college, there was a guy holding his throat in the parking lot of a fast food place we stopped at late at night. Some random asshat came up behind him (in a crowded lot, mind you), held a knife to his throat, and demanded a ride. The victim managed to get away, but not before getting an inch-long slit across his larynx with some tissue hanging out. We made sure he would be alright, and then took off down the road. We found a guy matching the description, and I hopped out of the car and confronted him. This was years before I could carry. He pulled his knife on me, and I told him he'd better be good with it b/c he wasn't sneaking up on me like he did the other guy. I kept him there til the cops showed up, and they took him down with guns drawn. Was it stupid of me? Probably, but I wasn't about to let some dbag get away with that. I'm pretty sure I'd stop a robbery in progress also, especially now that I'm armed.

Naaaah, mine is a lightweight.

I dunno. The guy said that as he was walking by he saw them pounding on the door and one had a gun "and he looked at him".

Who here is keeping it holstered? A guy who you judge to be up to no good has a gun and spies you. Are you waiting to for him to draw down on you?

I honestly don't know how I'd react, but I think I *should* be reaching pretty quickly.

If I was a store clerk and a gun was being pointed at me. I'd want a CCW holder to take action if possible. The fact that his gut tells him the perp MIGHT not shoot me isn't comforting. I'd rather just chance it and have the CCW respond.

That being said its not always about protection. Sometimes its about your community and setting the tone for would be criminals. If criminals know they can run around holding up stores and no one is gonna do shit about it besides fill out a police report and check a couple blurry cameras there is really no disincentive.

I live in a shit neighborhood and stuff like this happens all the time. I had an incident where I woke up from a nap to hear my girlfriend screaming for me. I threw on pants and went downstairs to see a young hispanic kid kicking and stomping a girl who was holding an infant in my parking lot while his boys watched. She was getting battered pretty badly, bleeding and all she was trying to do was protect the child from being hurt. So I jogged outside and "kindly asked him to stop" and he did.. Now by the book I shoulda left it there and just called the police. Well **** that noise I threw that kid and his buddy who tried to jump in, a professional beating. THEN, I called the Cops.

Now could I have gotten in trouble? Yes. Did I have to go to court like 3 times? Yes and I would do it again.

Some people don't understand owning/carrying a gun is only the beginning. Being proficient is the next step. Having the balls to act when it is necessary is the most important part.

Too many unknowns here to really make a judgement call. How close to the clerk were the bad guys, am I a good enough shot with a sub compact 9mm make a clean shot at 30 feet? I say no. I might hit the clerk. Then I'm getting my rump ridden in a FED hotel. Or, clerk already hit the silent alarm and when the po-po show up and see me with my firearm at the ready, I take one to the mellon. Lights out.

Some people have guns to compensate for being pussies. Some people have guns as another tool to help them do the right thing. Both categories of people are present on NES. The gun doesn't make the man. I am a peaceful person, I avoid fights, and have talked my way out of virtually every confrontational situation I have ever been in. That's the smart thing to do, EOF, etc. I'm not some hardcore badass, but I won't stand and by and let someone get hurt or killed if I can do something about it... It's just not right. This just means proper EOF until the authorities can step in and take care of the rest. If you have no idea what EOF is, I suggest you do some reading.

Mike

If you have no idea what EOF is, I suggest you do some reading.

Mike

No need to belittle people for not knowing an acronym. For those not in the military acronyms aren't used nearly as excessively.

If you are not an acronym wizard, EOF, in this context, stands for 'Escalation of force'.

Let's be clear about the situation: before pulling his weapon, the guy knew nothing about the clerk in the store. The guy was walking by the store. All he saw was two guys banging on the door, one with a gun.

In that case I am so keeping my gun holstered and calling 911. I don't see the immediate and unavoidable risk of death or grievous injury to innocent human life.

All I'd be doing by drawing on these scum is risking escalating the situation and ****ing myself over by playing Mr Policeman. I draw, the one with the gun turns towards me, I have no choice but to shoot him. Then I'm a big ****ing hero? No. What I am in that situation is a sorry son of a bitch who shot a jerkoff because I didn't keep my gun holstered when I should have.

Now, c'mon all you John Wayne types and tell the Internet how I'm a pussy, and you woulda just gone ahead and shot 'em both when you first saw 'em pounding on that door... And then just kept on walking like the Lone Ranger.

Last edited:
Situation dictates. A lot of you are pussies. If your family is there, I get it. If not, you certainly have the right to be a pussy, but I don't get it.

A lot of NESers would do the right thing... but make no mistake, plenty would not and carry a gun to make themselves feel bigger. Which is cool, people can do as they please, but NES isn't some utopia of your best friends. I've met some great NESers, and some that I would want absolutely nothing to do with in any capacity because they are either certifiable or a liability, or just compensating for something.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom