• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed carry unloaded in ME

Any of our legal experts know the legality of carrying a concealed unloaded firearm in ME with a loaded magazine in a mag holder or pocket?

I know, carrying unloaded is silly but if I have the option of carrying unloaded or not carrying at all I'd rather be carrying unloaded. I haven't done the training course for my ME non-res license yet so I'm looking for an alternative in the mean time.

I don't know the answer but IIRC the gun laws are posted on the ME SP website with the application for a ME permit and I would read it very carefully.

Concealed Handguns Booklet (PDF)

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

25 M.R.S.A. § 2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon 1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a
provision of law:
A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person; or
B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.
2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to:
A.Firearms carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued as provided in this chapter;
B. Disabling chemicals as described in Title 17-A, section 1002;
C. Knives used to hunt, fish or trap as defined in Title 12, section 10001;
D. Law enforcement officers and corrections officers as permitted in writing by their employer;
E. Firearms carried by a person engaged in conduct for which a state-issued hunting or trapping license is required and possessing the required license, or firearms carried by a resident person engaged in conduct expressly authorized by
Title 12, section 11108 and section 12202, subsection 1.1 This paragraph does not authorize or permit the carrying of a concealed or loaded firearm in a motor vehicle; and
F. A firearm carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued by another state if a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued from that state has been granted reciprocity. The Chief of the State Police may enter into reciprocity agreements with 2 other states. Reciprocity may be granted to a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued from another state if:
(1) The other state that issued the permit to carry a concealed firearm has substantially equivalent or stricter requirements for the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm; and
(2) The other state that issued the permit to carry a concealed firearm observes the same rules of reciprocity in regards to a person issued a permit to carry a concealed firearm under this chapter.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/CFP Booklet.pdf

Back
Top Bottom