Concealed Carry question- sorry if its been asked before

I tried using the search function but it was an epic fail, then I tried google and I got mixed answers or legal mumbo jumbo that I didn't really understand. When you have your unrestricted LTC (In MA) how are you allowed to carry your firearm? Does it have to be ON you? For example, I have a CC purse with an extra pocket separate from the rest of the purse to hold a pistol. Can I put my gun in there and put it on my passanger seat while I drive (because who wants a Beretta 92fs digging into their thigh while driving) I'm sorry if this is a stupid question!!! Thanks in advance

I forget the exact wording, but basically if it's not under your direct control then it needs to be stored in accordance with the applicable storage or transport statutes. The issue is that the law doesn't define what "direct control" actually is, so it's unclear whether a gun on the seat next to you would be considered under your direct control.

The "Mass prudent" thing to do is to keep it on your person at all times if it isn't locked up.

I forget the exact wording, but basically if it's not under your direct control then it needs to be stored in accordance with the applicable storage or transport statutes. The issue is that the law doesn't define what "direct control" actually is, so it's unclear whether a gun on the seat next to you would be considered under your direct control.

The "Mass prudent" thing to do is to keep it on your person at all times if it isn't locked up.

This is my understanding as well.

That's a fine question. I'm not sure of a good "legal" answer. But I think the term I think makes the best guild is "in direct control". In a purse on your body while walking, etc. I think is in direct control. On the seat next to you in the car, maybe. My concern would be if you stop short and the bag falls on the floor, maybe securing the bag in place by placing the strap over the seat belt catch/base. From a practical point I think you would be fine.

Some among us are really good at making up provisions of the law that don't actually exist just to help fill in the gaps left by poorly conceived, poorly written laws. Others cite "MassPrudence" as their excuse for making up imaginary provisions of the law. It drives me crazy. [crying]

Why can't we just admit that the law, as written, pretty much sucks with many gaps and undefined or poorly defined terms. And, that being the case, it leaves many scenarios open to the imagination and to the interpretation of persons we can't necessarily trust.

I prefer to leave it at that. Others have more creative imaginations than I do. Hence, so many threads of this nature. [thinking]

I agree here.

Also if an unlicensed person is in the car with you, if they can get to the gun before you (or a cop/DA can make that accusation) they can/will get you for improper transportation which in MA is a felony.

Purses are a very bad way to carry a gun given the lack of clarity in MA gun laws.

Also every woman I know dumps their purse on the floor (usually near the door) when they walk into someone's home and then walk away . . . that certainly isn't under your control (unless the compartment in the purse is locked). Also rug-rats have been known to get curious about what are in purses dumped on the floor when you aren't looking. Bad things can result from that and terrible legal issues as well.

When I teach I explain these things and then state that on-body carry is the safest and legally the best way to always carry.

I tried using the search function but it was an epic fail, then I tried google and I got mixed answers or legal mumbo jumbo that I didn't really understand. When you have your unrestricted LTC (In MA) how are you allowed to carry your firearm? Does it have to be ON you? For example, I have a CC purse with an extra pocket separate from the rest of the purse to hold a pistol. Can I put my gun in there and put it on my passanger seat while I drive (because who wants a Beretta 92fs digging into their thigh while driving) I'm sorry if this is a stupid question!!! Thanks in advance

Hi, I had to really think hard about how to carry especially for a woman. Granted I carry primarily a .357 revolver, but I also have a 9mm as well. For both of them I decided to go with a friction holster and I tuck it into my jeans (right side) and that seems to work well for me. I invested in some snap caps and then I could practice my draw safely.

I worried too much about having a handgun in a purse and although technically it would be considered under my direct control, if someone snatched my purse, they would have my gun as well. I figure a robber is going to be after my purse for the potential of money or something potentially valuable inside. The only way I feel safe carrying and personally the only way I know a weapon of mine is secure, is when it's on me personally. That applies for a purse or locked up in a car.

The way I see it is I carry consistently, exactly the same way all the time, so that if I ever did have to draw, I know exactly where it is (muscle memory).

What I found I like about friction holsters is that they work well for winter clothes or summer clothes. It's still just as easy to tuck a handgun away in shorts. They do have limitations like yoga pants, some skirts, dresses and some other articles of clothing are not very carry friendly. It's not like I wear that kind of clothing a lot anyways.

Some among us are really good at making up provisions of the law that don't actually exist just to help fill in the gaps left by poorly conceived, poorly written laws. Others cite "MassPrudence" as their excuse for making up imaginary provisions of the law. It drives me crazy. [crying]

Why can't we just admit that the law, as written, pretty much sucks with many gaps and undefined or poorly defined terms. And, that being the case, it leaves many scenarios open to the imagination and to the interpretation of persons we can't necessarily trust.

I prefer to leave it at that. Others have more creative imaginations than I do. Hence, so many threads of this nature. [thinking]

I coined the term "Massprudence" for this reason - there are often no "correct" answers, due to the ambiguity of the law.

What is the minimum for "direct control" - that's unknown
What is "Intoxicated" WRT carrying a firearm? - there is no legal standard, as there is for driving

The list goes on.

OP: you have a lot of "newbie" questions - good on you, for asking them, instead of guessing. Just please understand that many of these are as definable as "How high is up?" and "What's the quantity of stupid in the universe?"

99.99% of the time, what you consider reasonable is just fine; the other 0.01% is what you're addressing with this (and your other) questions. Not a reflection on you. These are the same questions that many here have pondered, and have come up with answers that work for them. AFAIK, all here have been lucky or prudent (Mass or otherwise) to have been proved right in the event of an interaction with John Law, or have not had the pleasure of testing it.

Keep asking. Ignore snark. Understand that some of these are unanswerable, in the final analysis. Remember: this is the state where a cable-locked plastic container is acceptable for storage (court case, cant' remember the cite), and a "Very secure" (Cop's description) concrete vault is not (guy in Lowell).

Welcome to the Wonderful World of MGLs!

Thank you for all your answers! I do understand that this may have been one of those unanswerable questions. MA laws are so wishy washy, even the pd doesn't know them (at least in my town!)

On you is the best way to carry. Purse carry opens up a lot of potential issues, at least in this state.
Unfortunately I believe you have a 92FS. It is not a great carry gun it is both big and heavy.
A good IWB holster with a more carry friendly gun should probably be what you should be looking at. The Remora or the Sticky holsters work well for a no clip IWB holster. In the colder weather they also work well in a coat pocket.

On you is the best way to carry. Purse carry opens up a lot of potential issues, at least in this state.
Unfortunately I believe you have a 92FS. It is not a great carry gun it is both big and heavy.
A good IWB holster with a more carry friendly gun should probably be what you should be looking at. The Remora or the Sticky holsters work well for a no clip IWB holster. In the colder weather they also work well in a coat pocket.

Yes I have a 92fs. When shopping I was really torn. Obviously a smaller gun would be easier to carry but smaller guns I have shot I was just not comfortable with. The 92fs I shoot very well (for a newbie) and I am comfortable and confident with it. My fiance and my best friend both agreed that I should buy the gun I am comfortable with and have to be creative to CC rather than buy a gun that's easy to conceal that I am not 100% comfortable handling. I won't always carry the 92fs but until I get more experience I'm going to have to make it work!

Yes I have a 92fs. When shopping I was really torn. Obviously a smaller gun would be easier to carry but smaller guns I have shot I was just not comfortable with. The 92fs I shoot very well (for a newbie) and I am comfortable and confident with it. My fiance and my best friend both agreed that I should buy the gun I am comfortable with and have to be creative to CC rather than buy a gun that's easy to conceal that I am not 100% comfortable handling. I won't always carry the 92fs but until I get more experience I'm going to have to make it work!

This^. Always carry the gun that you're comfortable with. As you become comfortable with shooting more, you may find a smaller EDC gun that works for you, but until then, carry what you train with. Concealed means concealed, but if someone sees a glimpse of black metal and has a meltdown, F em.

This^. Always carry the gun that you're comfortable with. As you become comfortable with shooting more, you may find a smaller EDC gun that works for you, but until then, carry what you train with. Concealed means concealed, but if someone sees a glimpse of black metal and has a meltdown, F em.

I've been practicing CC at home with a 92fs bb gun lol with my thigh holster most of my shorter dresses when I lift my arms you get a peek of it but with jeans and a sweater I have it pretty well figured out, with my empire waist short dresses I can I can use my hip hugger holster but if I ever had to use the gun everyone would get a free show, but if I ever had to use it I don't think anyone is going to be looking at my skivvies. I have it pretty well figured out, except for driving, thats why I was wondering about the purse

I've been practicing CC at home with a 92fs bb gun lol with my thigh holster most of my shorter dresses when I lift my arms you get a peek of it but with jeans and a sweater I have it pretty well figured out, with my empire waist short dresses I can I can use my hip hugger holster but if I ever had to use the gun everyone would get a free show, but if I ever had to use it I don't think anyone is going to be looking at my skivvies. I have it pretty well figured out, except for driving, thats why I was wondering about the purse

Driving is always the issue. I carry at 4 o'clock right side. Longer car trips can be an issue, but I'm in NH and can just throw it in the console for the trip. Most often I just keep it on the hip and deal with it. Sometimes after a day of errands, I'll get home and disarm, and my wife will admit that she had no idea I was carrying all day. If you ever had to use your CC, I'm sure them seeing your skivvies would be the least of their worries, with a rather large Beretta pointed at them. [smile] "Ha, I saw your underwe....Oh, Sh*t, that things real!!"

Oh man a 92FS!!! God love you for concealing that beast!! You got great info here (as usual) in regards to MGLs. "In your direct control" means basically that you can get to it quicker than anyone else. Your BFS course instructor should have covered this ad nauseum, but it is what it is and you asked the question. I agree with whomever said to keep asking questions, thats the only way. I used to enjoy firing out snarky answers to newbie questions on here, but then I realized I was being an ******* for no other reason than to be an *******. Or it was the vodka. Either way.

Hopefully you figure out a way to comfortably conceal that awful boat anchor, or you get a G43 lol

I used to enjoy firing out snarky answers to newbie questions on here, but then I realized I was being an ******* for no other reason than to be an *******. Or it was the vodka. Either way.

Hopefully you figure out a way to comfortably conceal that awful boat anchor, or you get a G43 lol

Softening with age? [laugh]

You should, he'd appreciate it. I hear with 100 referrals, Pfizer gives out a free trip to Hawaii.

No, it's a free trip to Groton! [rofl]

--------------

We lived in Groton for 3 years, back before air pollution was considered an issue! Pfizer's fumes exuded a stench that we could smell a mile away and it peeled the paint off of houses nearby (not kidding, some of my co-workers lived close and reported to me this ongoing problem).

No, it's a free trip to Groton! [rofl]

--------------

We lived in Groton for 3 years, back before air pollution was considered an issue! Pfizer's fumes exuded a stench that we could smell a mile away and it peeled the paint off of houses nearby (not kidding, some of my co-workers lived close and reported to me this ongoing problem).

I used to deliver to that facility. G*d knows what you were inhaling.

I kind of went the other way. I bought a small gun and just like you, I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. In fact I had to wear shooting gloves to keep it under control without my hands hurting. I also took my revolver and had it reworked with a lighter trigger and that helped tremendously. I persisted and kept going to the range week after week, and then one day I had my aha(!) moment. It was then I figured out how to shoot a snub nosed revolver. I tested myself the following week by shooting only .357 magnum and that was it. It took me a few months to be able to say I could not only shoot it, but actually hit targets. When I go to the range I generally bring a box of something for the revolver .38, .38+p, or .357 magnum and I always make sure I get some range time with the gun that would be the one that would save my life if needed.

Sometimes, in fact lately, I have been carrying a 9mm more often to see how I like it. It just doesn't have the comfort of that snub nosed revolver. I tuck that revolver away, and 15 minutes later I have forgotten I am carrying. I can put a bianchi strip in my jean pockets and no one would ever know I had ammo in my pocket. So with just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt I can carry my revolver, extra ammo, a pepper spray that looks like a lipstick case, and a knife. No one else in the world would ever know I am well armed and ready to protect myself. Plus I can do all of this and still be comfortable.

Your BFS course instructor should have covered this ad nauseum, but it is what it is and you asked the question.

I'm sure they did cover it, it was a 2 day class and a lot of info was given. And it was almost 2 years ago and after 3 kids my memory is shot lol

that's awesome that you are willing to put up with CCing a heavy and large gun because you shoot it well. this decision might prove one of your best investments in life.

Back
Top Bottom