• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Carry on Campus

Nowhere is perfectly safe--give the kids a fighting chance.

May 5, 2010

A little more than three years ago, Seung-Hui Cho entered a building at Virginia Tech, chained the doors shut and began shooting. He killed 32 people--the deadliest school shooting in United States history. The tragedy sparked a nationwide review of campus safety measures. Colleges began coordinating with local police to update old and outdated emergency policies. But the shooting also caused many students, dismayed by the poor emergency response by Virginia Tech administrators and police, to start looking toward ensuring their own safety. A movement was born to roll back long-standing handgun bans at colleges, led by the group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

The campaign argues that gun-free zones, far from ensuring the safety of students, leaves them defenseless. As David Burnett, the director of public relations for SCCC, said in a phone interview, "We find these pieces of paper tacked to the door that say 'no guns allowed' aren't doing much to deter shooters or even average criminals."

However, despite heavy media coverage and continued debate, advocates of concealed carry have little to show for their efforts. States have considered legislation to allow concealed carry on public campuses 34 times in the years since the Virginia Tech shooting, and more bills are expected this year. Yet so far, none of the legislation has passed in the face of heavy opposition from college administrators and faculty.

An opposing group, the Campaign to Keep Guns Off Campus, was started in 2008. In a phone interview, director Andy Pelosi (no relation to the House speaker) said the campaign has collected the signatures of 133 colleges in 31 states which support handgun bans.

Currently, 26 states ban handguns on campus, even by those with concealed carry permits. Twenty three other states leave the decision to individual colleges. Only Utah explicitly prohibits public colleges from banning licensed handguns on campus.

But concealed carry advocates have fared better in the courts. A Colorado appellate court recently struck down Colorado University's ban on handguns, ruling it conflicted with the state constitution.

READ MORE

The academia have their heads in the sand when it comes to guns...college administrators and faculty at many schools have a history of fighting against arming campus police.
And of course we all saw from that 20/20 special a couple of years ago that a student could never stop an active shooter, so what's the point in allowing CCW? [bs1]

We are trying to get a gun club started at school, and I can't tell you all the crap were going through, and its almost all political. They originally were trying to tell us we couldn't be called "the Umass Gun Club" because the name would scare people away. The worst part is the vast amount of ignorance there is on anything gun related, both on the legal side and the hardware side.

Mike

And of course we all saw from that 20/20 special a couple of years ago that a student could never stop an active shooter, so what's the point in allowing CCW? [bs1]

You must mean the one where they used a trained police officer as the deranged gunman, and told him which student would have the defensive firearm. Yeah, that was a real credible experiment.

There should be an updated scenario filmed for todays modern world. Have the student be an IDPA participant, and have the gunman be some tweaker they pull off the streets. Gve them both paint guns and turn em loose.

We are trying to get a gun club started at school,
Interested in starting a Scholastic Steel Challenge affiliate, or running regular Steel Challenge matches? (the former is for under age 21, 9x19 striker fired only; the later is traditional from the holster Steel Challenge shooting).

If so, there is a decent chance I can get your group's first gun for the program (S&W M&P 9mm) issued by the national organization.

As of right now it is basically a "club" and currently they are trying to tell us we will receive funding only for T-shirts, flyers, etc. Basically even when they approve this thing sometime in the next year or so, we won't get any funding towards anything that actually involves firearms. The Student Government is more or less on our side but they have to mediate us and the faculty and they are trying to find a happy medium. We will be exploring all options once we get established but we need to make sure when operating as the club we don't violate any of the terms (this is not to say we can't negotiate them prior) agreed upon and get our status revoked.

Mike

There's this undercurrent of college students being considered children, which I find so bizarre. It seems childhood has been extended by over a decade.

The problem is a LOT of college students act like children. In my experience those of us who deal with firearms are more mature (many are vets and service-members as well), but seriously, half the people here act less mature than most 8 year olds.

Mike

We are trying to get a gun club started at school, and I can't tell you all the crap were going through, and its almost all political. They originally were trying to tell us we couldn't be called "the Umass Gun Club" because the name would scare people away. The worst part is the vast amount of ignorance there is on anything gun related, both on the legal side and the hardware side.

Mike

That was the same crap they pulled when I tried to start an air rifling club this past fall semester. After getting rejected due to the word "rifle" and being told that Umass can't support anything gun related, I just gave up.

Mike

Which campus, Boston?

Back
Top Bottom