Concealed Carry Narragansett

I am a Mass resident with a house in Narragansett. I have my Mass LTC A and was wondering what the COP was like in Narragansett concerning CC permit. Non-res or resident. I thought I would take the temperature here before contacting them.

According to the RIFOL pistol permit survey, Narragansett had not issued a single resident permit in 2009, none were active and generally they would not issue any permit. They were supposed to be working on an application process but up until then they had sent everybody up to the AG. Although towns can issue nonresident permits, I do not know a single person that has a non-resident town permit. There were less than 300 known town permits in 2009. I suspect you will not have much luck with Narragansett but you can always give it a try...

RI makes no distinction between resident and non-resident. By law the chief there should issue you a permit. For RI towns that do issue permits the main obstacle in issuing to non-residents is that they don't want a reputation of doing so such that every out of stater wanting to carrying in RI comes to them.

If you're not afraid of ruffling a few feathers and have a couple of dollars to spend on a lawyer, PM me your email and I'll help you get started.

RI makes no distinction between resident and non-resident.

"By law" does not really apply in Rhode Island. I can guarantee that every chief makes the distinction in practice, regardless of the actual statute. The way most cops in Rhode Island operate is by making assumptions about the law, specifically assuming that if the law does not address a thing, it doe not exist. Yes, you can technically get a nonresident Town permit. I am still unaware of the existence of a single one. They may be out there but I suspect they are like hens teeth...

Most COP's don't like providing permits to tax-paying residents, nevermind nonresidents. Having spoken to a number of them it comes down to 1. paperwork and 2. liability. State statute exempts them from any liability arising from the issuance of a permit. They are either too ignorant to realize this or they don't obey the laws they are supposed to enforce anyway so they have little faith in the laws. As for paperwork, in general the RI COP's are lazy. They do not believe that their $90K a year salary plus state trooper pension is enough to justify them actually working for a living. Most COP's are already semi-retired in their minds.

I suspect a lawsuit will be required. If you have the time and money, it's a great idea. But getting a nonresident permit is not an easy chore.

Just an indication of how backward the Town permit system actually is, up until 4 years ago my town issue a piece of paper as a permit. Then they got a laminator... 1983, here we come! And there is no standardization as to what is on a permit or what it should look like. I've seen half-a-dozen and they are all different.

Last edited:
I believe they have applications, but I don't know if they have issued any permits. However, if you meet the requirements in RIGL 11-47-11, then the COP Shall Issue a permit. However, as someone else mentioned, some COPs choose not to follow the law. I don't know if the Narragansett COP will issue, but if you don't apply you will certainly not get a permit.
Start out by contacting him and request an application.

I believe they have applications, but I don't know if they have issued any permits. However, if you meet the requirements in RIGL 11-47-11, then the COP Shall Issue a permit. However, as someone else mentioned, some COPs choose not to follow the law. I don't know if the Narragansett COP will issue, but if you don't apply you will certainly not get a permit.
Start out by contacting him and request an application.
And update newportri so the next time someone asks, we will know the answer.

State statute exempts them from any liability arising from the issuance of a permit
There is also "political liability".

There is no danger of a chief getting bad press because an unarmed person who could not get a carry permit gets murdered.

There is also "political liability".

There is no danger of a chief getting bad press because an unarmed person who could not get a carry permit gets murdered.
That could be, but with only about 4000 CCW permits in RI, there aren't many stories involving a CCW shooting. I can't recall any in fact, much less one where the CLEO who issued the permit was mentioned. Seems like sort of an irrational fear, but given the state of affairs here, quite likely.

That could be, but with only about 4000 CCW permits in RI, there aren't many stories involving a CCW shooting. I can't recall any in fact, much less one where the CLEO who issued the permit was mentioned. Seems like sort of an irrational fear, but given the state of affairs here, quite likely.
I think Rob is saying there is no political liability if someone who was DENIED a permit is killed.

Back
Top Bottom