• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Carry in National Parks

Here is a post I saw on another forum. Did a quick search on NES and did not see the info posted.

NEWS RELEASE
CCRKBA HAILS INTERIOR DEPT. RULING ON CONCEALED CARRY IN NATIONAL PARKS
BELLEVUE, WA – Today’s announcement that the Interior Department has amended its rules and will henceforth allow licensed concealed carry in national parks was hailed as a victory for the Second Amendment by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

“No longer will American citizens be required to leave their right of self-defense at the gates of a national park,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “This common-sense change in regulations reflects not only changes in the laws of 48 states, but more importantly the Supreme Court’s ruling in June that upheld the individual right to keep and bear arms that is protected by the Second Amendment.”

Under the rule change, individuals may carry concealed handguns in national parks and wildlife refuges only if they are licensed to carry under the laws of the state in which the park or refuge is located. This new rule does not allow the illegal carrying of any firearm, nor will it allow hunting, target practice or poaching.

“We are delighted that the Interior Department has taken this step,” Gottlieb stated. “This was never an issue of opening parks to hunting or recreational shooting, and the extremist opponents of this measure know it. This has always been about personal protection in areas where law enforcement may be hours away, or not available at all, in an emergency.

“As with the adoption of concealed carry laws in dozens of states over the past several years,” he added, “we are confident that passage of time will prove that all the alarmist rhetoric about poaching and increase danger to families and especially children was deliberately misleading.

“With the nation facing drastic budget cuts,” Gottlieb said, “this rule change comes at the right moment. It recognizes the inability of park officials to provide adequate law enforcement services, particularly in the back country. We are confident that passage of time will prove that this rule change, like the adoption of sensible concealed carry laws in dozens of states over the past 20 years, improves public safety and deters criminal behavior.”

Don't quote me on this but I thought I had read in a law update that you could now carry in MA at a national park (as long as you have the proper permit of course.)

I would assume if this is acceptable in MA then it would be the case everywhere except possibly CA.

It means that if you're LTC and carrying while driving, you will not be a felon when you drive out Rt 2A from Lexington to Concord.

It means that if you're LTC and carrying while driving, you will not be a felon when you drive out Rt 2A from Lexington to Concord.

Man I always forget about that stretch of national park. I drive it every time I go to visit a friend and I've never previously thought about what getting pulled over there would mean compared to anywhere else (as I'm duly licensed).

I called the US fish and wildlife is Sudbury and they said that it is still not allowed. They said that if the law went into effect that they have no idea. There is nothing on the national website that states that it is allowed. So if you are going to assabet, great meadows, or oxbow...It is still No CCW.

WHouse stops pending Bush regulations for review

From the mewling libtards at Reuters.

Tue Jan 20, 7:25 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama's new administration ordered all federal agencies and departments on Tuesday to stop any pending regulations until they can be reviewed by incoming staff, halting last-minute Bush orders in their tracks.

"This afternoon, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel signed a memorandum sent to all agencies and departments to stop all pending regulations until a legal and policy review can be conducted by the Obama administration," the White House said in a statement issued just hours after Obama took office.

The review is a tool commonly used by a new administration to delay so-called "midnight regulations" put in place by a former president between the election and Inauguration Day.

Midnight regulations have been heavily used by recent former presidents, including the Democrat Bill Clinton, Republican George H. W. Bush, and most recently, the Republican George W. Bush.

Controversial late rules by the outgoing Bush administration include allowing the carrying of concealed weapons in some national parks and prohibiting medical facilities from receiving federal money for discriminating against doctors and nurses who refuse to assist with abortions or dispense contraceptives based on religious grounds.

Federal law requires a 60-day waiting period before any major regulatory changes become law, so some presidents try to publish new major regulations to ensure they go into effect before the new president's inauguration on January 20.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090121/pl_nm/us_obama_regulations

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without profit or payment to those who
have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information
for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more
information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Ok, here is the thing. He may not be able to roll this back. This rule change has been in the works for a while now and it actually went into effect Jan. 9th. Those 30 and 60 day periods could have potentially passed by already. Its 10am and not going to research it fully right now.

Back
Top Bottom