• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Carry in MA Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help fill me on the laws or lack there of surrounding firearms in MA schools? I am interested in the current laws, if any, that pertain to licensed individuals (teachers/staff mainly) carrying in MA schools. Also, what about private schools? Are they exempt from any of these types of laws? I understand most schools have their own policy, but thats not the same as an actual law.

269 sec10(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

Any officer in charge of an elementary or secondary school, college or university or any faculty member or administrative officer of an elementary or secondary school, college or university failing to report violations of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars.

Jon (or anyone else) - are you aware of anyone here in MA successfully petitioning the school principal or a district official to get "written authorization" to carry in school?

Jon (or anyone else) - are you aware of anyone here in MA successfully petitioning the school principal or a district official to get "written authorization" to carry in school?

John Silber wrote himself a letter authorizing carry when he was president of BU.

In general, you might have a chance if (a) You are visiting campus to discuss details of the building they will be naming after you because you are paying for it or (b) You are important enough that the school issues a press release and arranges media coverage simply because you are gracing the facility with your presence.

The only permission granted to ordinary folks is for schools with on-site ranges and, even then, such permission is generally very explicit about directly to/from, and not allowing defensive concealed carry.

No administrator is at career risk for the consequences of denying permission to carry. The inverse is not the case.

I happen to be on the Board of Directors for a small private school that I too attended growing up. It would not be difficult for me to convince the other board members to write up an official letter of permission to our staff.

I happen to be on the Board of Directors for a small private school that I too attended growing up. It would not be difficult for me to convince the other board members to write up an official letter of permission to our staff.

do it then alert the media so others will follow

Can someone help fill me on the laws or lack there of surrounding firearms in MA schools? I am interested in the current laws, if any, that pertain to licensed individuals (teachers/staff mainly) carrying in MA schools. Also, what about private schools? Are they exempt from any of these types of laws? I understand most schools have their own policy, but thats not the same as an actual law.

As JonJ says, it's blocked by MGL 26910J. Only undone on a person by person basis with written permission from school authorities as proscribed in the law. (never, or rarely happens- it might happen if you are getting a wing of the school with your name on it because of all the money you donated, though. ).

Closing this because this one is beaten like a rented mule. [laugh]

ETA: If you manage to pull off what you described, please start a new thread... would be interesting to hear about the hurdles you went through to pull it off. My guess is though, they will want to keep it below the radar.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom