• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed carry for the first time....

The only time that I get freaked out id when you have peolpe who are touchy. If a woman wants to give you a hug or someone puts there hand on your waist to usher you somewhere. I try to avoid anyone touching me but sometimes its hard and if that person catches on they can make life miserable for you, especially if its in publc.

That freaks me out also. Why do people think it is OK to touch others? Keep your hands off! Touchy feely people who always want to hug and touch people annoy me.

I do think I need to find a better holster though. I currently have 2 guns I like to carry - a SIG P229 - great gun, and I'm a good shot with it. And a Colt 1911 Defender. The problem with the SIG (which would be my choice to carry) is the holster causes the thing to stick out too much. If someone can recommend a good holster that would be great.

Of course -- it might be the excuse I need to go and buy a nice, small J-Frame S&W..

It doesn't take long before that weight and pressure on your side becomes second nature.

Someday you'll leave the house, and after a few minutes of 'something doesn't feel right', you'll realize you forgot your gat. You'll feel sorta like you've forgotten your underwear...you'll feel naked and vulnerable.

It's weird but I swear it's that sort of a feeling.

My first time.......when, I don't remember. Where.....don't remember. What...a Jennings .22 ! And even with that I was sure everyone knew it was in my pocket and that I'd set of alarms in stores and banks.

I do think I need to find a better holster though. I currently have 2 guns I like to carry - a SIG P229 - great gun, and I'm a good shot with it. And a Colt 1911 Defender. The problem with the SIG (which would be my choice to carry) is the holster causes the thing to stick out too much. If someone can recommend a good holster that would be great.

Of course -- it might be the excuse I need to go and buy a nice, small J-Frame S&W..
Where do you carry on your body and do you prefer IWB or OWB?

I am in process of doing the classes and applying for my nonres MA LTC. Until then, carrying 24/7 is a real hassle for me as i live 1 mile over the border and literally every road leading to and from my house crosses the MA border at some point unless i want to go backroads for miles and miles everywhere i go.

Once that permit is in hand, things will change.

The GF will most likely have a HUGE problem with the idea, though...so ill need to ease her into it or just let her "discover" it one day, at which point i'll say "ive been doing it for 6 months....you JUST realized...that should prove that its a non-issue"

You will get used to it in time. If you start thinking about it like
your keys or wallet (eg, things you don't want to lose) then it just
starts becoming second nature.

While it's best to have a print-proof setup, unless the entire
gun is printing or exposed, 99.9999 % of all people "in the wild"
are not going to notice a minor print. Some people
relentlessly obsess about minor printing when they move a certain
way, etc, or they obsess about a holster that squeaks a tiny
bit.... IMO life is too short for that crap- especially where you
live in a free state where open carry is legal.

Also, I've found that kneeling, etc, to get at low shelves in
the grocery store makes your shirt less likely to ride up,
etc. The only time I get close to touching it, is that while
putting my jacket on after sitting at a restaraunt, etc, I might
casually give the shirt a tug while getting up to make sure it
didn't get bunched up. Don't really have to do this w chairs or
stools, but if you've been in a booth for awhile it's possible for a
shirt to get stuck, etc.

The biggest challenge of all is the hug thing. The people I am
close to (eg, the GF) already know I carry anyways, hell, she
practically molests me to find out where it is and then a smile
comes across her face. (she has an LTC-A, too, but no gun
yet). so that part isn't an issue. It's the annoying
little old lady down the street that would have a
heart attack if she found out, or the extended family members,
etc... I've found that at least in the case of the former, you
can try to keep that side of your body away from the person
being hugged, and keep your arms UNDER theirs, that way when
their left arm comes across your right one, you're essentially
shielding something at the the 3:00 position or whatever.

For family gatherings and that kind of crap, nothing beats
pocket carry. Your crazy aunt so and so might give you a
hug thats way too enormous, but she probably is not going to
be touching your crotch or the area near it. If she does
she gets what she deserves!!!!!! [laugh]

The biggest CCW problem for me is my 2nd job... I work
with computers a lot, and mostly in offices. This means I have
to crawl under desks, shit like that.... makes it hard to conceal
something on your beltline because your shirt will drag on the
rug, etc, or your body is pressing up against the gun in some
uncomfortable way, etc. Pocket carry is better than this
but is still annoying. I'm probably going to end up fanny
packing it, but the pack would still just get in the way and
generally be annoying.

-Mike

Someday you'll leave the house, and after a few minutes of 'something doesn't feel right', you'll realize you forgot your gat. You'll feel sorta like you've forgotten your underwear...you'll feel naked and vulnerable.

+1.... One time over a really long weekend (I think I had
a 3 day plus a couple of vacation days tacked on) I was carrying
the whole time. When I started driving to work, I was about 10
minutes away from my house when it dawned on me that was still
carrying my gun- I was just used to it. (For my main job, I work at
place where it would be illegal to carry, ma calls it a "school") so I
had to turn around and go back home to lock it up. After getting
back in the car after locking it up, I said to myself "damn, this is
actually kinda weird not having it. "

-Mike

I will on occasion run out on a spur of the moment errand etc and realize as I make my way to my car that I don't have it with me. EVERY time I will pause, consider the possibilities, and trudge the three flights back up to the apt to retrieve my sidearm. ...you just never know. I'd rather have that sinking feeling at the bottom of the stairs before I head out rather than in a convenience store during a holdup.

I carried a Defender for years and loved it - same with my Para. I used a Desantis belt rig and it carried nice and flat....You'll get used to it. Plus, there's nothing wrong with carrying a J-Frame I have one in my front pocket right now riding in a Mika and my three excessively Liberal coworkers are none the wiser...
[wink]

The biggest challenge of all is the hug thing. The people I am
close to (eg, the GF) already know I carry anyways, hell, she
practically molests me to find out where it is and then a smile
comes across her face.
And this is a problem why? [wink] Or are you just bragging?
I've found that at least in the case of the former, you
can try to keep that side of your body away from the person
being hugged, and keep your arms UNDER theirs, that way when
their left arm comes across your right one, you're essentially
shielding something at the the 3:00 position or whatever.
Yeah, I found that out earlier this month when a good friend came over - she is a "hugging" type so she came very close to finding out if I was carrying. (OTOH, although she's a lib, she did go shooting with her dad when she was younger. When she doesn't always have her kids in tow I'll probably offer to take her shooting if she wants to. For now, though, her two year old does NOT belong on a range.)

The biggest CCW problem for me is my 2nd job... I work
with computers a lot, and mostly in offices. This means I have
to crawl under desks, shit like that.... makes it hard to conceal
something on your beltline because your shirt will drag on the
rug, etc, or your body is pressing up against the gun in some
uncomfortable way, etc. Pocket carry is better than this
but is still annoying.
+1 - very difficult to be a computer/phone techie and carry.

The GF will most likely have a HUGE problem with the idea, though...so ill need to ease her into it or just let her "discover" it one day, at which point i'll say "ive been doing it for 6 months....you JUST realized...that should prove that its a non-issue"

Let me know how that works out for you.[grin]

Yeah we will see....ive slowly been turning her around....at first she didnt even want them in the house....now she tolerates them and all my ammo....kinda a "dont ask dont tell" situation that we are both fine with. She was brought up in a very anti house so has a natural fear. She has no interest in shooting but is fine with my hobby and encourages me to shoot, asks about how i did, how much fun I had, etc. Its just not her cup of tea. Baby steps.....

I am in process of doing the classes and applying for my nonres MA LTC. Until then, carrying 24/7 is a real hassle for me as i live 1 mile over the border and literally every road leading to and from my house crosses the MA border at some point unless i want to go backroads for miles and miles everywhere i go.

Once that permit is in hand, things will change.

That's my problem. I live in NH, but work in MA. Not a big deal really as my day is drive to work, work, drive home. But I am thinking of getting a MA LTC. Let me know how hard it is...seems like a lot of paper work and expense (for something valid for 1 year AFAIK).

You need to take a course as if you were a MA resident and applying for a LTC....so the normal NRA certified course type of thing....then fill out the forms, give MA $100 bucks a year or so....then repeat it every 8 months.

..and even with it, you cant even buy a box of .22 ammo in MA....carry into MA from NH only.

The good thing? Ive heard its basically shall-issue for nonres LTC in MA....you get a non restricted permit. How absurd is it that they give you more rights in MA as a NH resident than most MA citizens get from their own state.

You need to take a course as if you were a MA resident and applying for a LTC....so the normal NRA certified course type of thing....then fill out the forms, give MA $100 bucks a year or so....then repeat it every 8 months.

..and even with it, you cant even buy a box of .22 ammo in MA....carry into MA from NH only.

The good thing? Ive heard its basically shall-issue for nonres LTC in MA....you get a non restricted permit. How absurd is it that they give you more rights in MA as a NH resident than most MA citizens get from their own state.

I'm in the same situation as pipmaster. I live in NH and work in MA, so I too have been thinking about a non-res MA LTC.

With a non-res MA LTC, can I carry a pistol with hi-cap, post ban mags?

You cant have any hi cap post-ban mags in MA under any circumstances as far as i've been told regardless of where you live, who you know, or anything else.

Sorry, TW, but you either need prebans or neutered 10 round mags to carry in MA.

Hey, just carry a 1911. 8 round mags are perfectly legal, and who ever felt out-gunned with 9 rounds of .45ACP goodness on hand? [wink] (plus however many spare mags you carry, of course!)

Sorry, TW, but you either need prebans or neutered 10 round mags to carry in MA.

Hey, just carry a 1911. 8 round mags are perfectly legal, and who ever felt out-gunned with 9 rounds of .45ACP goodness on hand? [wink] (plus however many spare mags you carry, of course!)

For some reason, I forgot about my Sig P239 with 7 round mags when I posted my question. Does MA have a problem with a DAK trigger with a 7 lb pull?

For some reason, I forgot about my Sig P239 with 7 round mags when I posted my question. Does MA have a problem with a DAK trigger with a 7 lb pull?

The gun you carry doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't run
afoul of the MA AWB... and 99% of the "handguns" out there
don't fall under that.

-Mike

Yeah we will see....ive slowly been turning her around....at first she didnt even want them in the house....now she tolerates them and all my ammo....kinda a "dont ask dont tell" situation that we are both fine with. She was brought up in a very anti house so has a natural fear. She has no interest in shooting but is fine with my hobby and encourages me to shoot, asks about how i did, how much fun I had, etc. Its just not her cup of tea. Baby steps.....

I've been down that road. It really takes a lot of time. Some women will convert to a comfortable medium of you having them and accepting you and the hobby, others will hold onto that fear/resentment, and even still others will go gungho and get into the shooting sports. Its a delicate balance either way and I wish you the best.

I've been down that road. It really takes a lot of time. Some women will convert to a comfortable medium of you having them and accepting you and the hobby, others will hold onto that fear/resentment, and even still others will go gungho and get into the shooting sports. Its a delicate balance either way and I wish you the best.

Yup! I am in it for the long haul with her, so have many years to slowly work my magic. One of her best friends wants to go shooting and is female....I think that friend having a great time will be the best thing that could ever happen for the situation. Its one thing when me, a shooter and a "guy", tells her that its so much fun to shoot and its not dangerous....its another when her best female friend of 10 years who has never shot tells her the same thing with a sh*t eating grin on her face when we arrive home.

Back
Top Bottom