• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed carry for the first time....

I took the opportunity to christen my conceal carry permit, and carried in public for the first time today. The question is how long does it take to get used to the fact you have a gun on your person? I swear I thought everyone was staring at me, causing me to check it every 5 minutes. Probably just paranoid.

I still (2 months; weekends+nights only) am paranoid that my gun is showing when I CC around MA. If I'm in NH or VT I totally forget I have it.

I still (2 months; weekends+nights only) am paranoid that my gun is showing when I CC around MA. If I'm in NH or VT I totally forget I have it.

I'm sort of the same way though I still carry every day whenever possible.
I've been carrying for 3 months.

Just go to walmart. Most of the people walking around there woldnt notice if you had a bazooka under your coat, they are so oblivious.

The novelty wears off pretty quick, although for me, it was quite a little while before I got used to the feeling of walking into banks armed.

The thing about carrying is, after awhile you just start assuming most people around you are packing too, and like Jim says, it just becomes a tool you're carrying around and not thinking about. Unless you drop a magazine on the floor at Home Depot or forget your piece in the stall or something.[laugh]

Last edited:
It takes a little while. Fortunately, most people are clueless, so it doesn't take much effort or skill to conceal a bright yellow crew cab duelie long-bed pickup truck from them, let alone something as small as a handgun.

I'm still getting used to it; haven't carried much but am getting better about that. And nope, no one's noticed the "bulge" on my right hip. My fiancee doesn't even notice when I'm carrying.

So far my biggest problem is getting it in the right spot to sit down comfortably on the first try; I tend to carry in that netherland between my side and my hip so it's often in my way when I try to sit back into the chair.

+1 to what Jim said, the feeling will pass and it will just become another part of your normal "stuff". Most sheep won’t even notice you at all let alone your concealed weapon. Just don't ever forget safe handling practices like when using the restroom and what not (don’t hang your gun by the trigger guard on the coat hook[wink]).

I took the opportunity to christen my conceal carry permit, and carried in public for the first time today. The question is how long does it take to get used to the fact you have a gun on your person? I swear I thought everyone was staring at me, causing me to check it every 5 minutes. Probably just paranoid.

I have been carrying for going on 7 years now. It is difficult at first. I went through the phase of buying every piece of junk tiny gun that any manufacturer made. I would have saved a lot of money if I knew what I know now.

Others may disagree but, the best advice I can give you is to buy yourself two guns and stick with them. The first being a quality full or mid-size service pistol like a 1911, S&W M&P, Glock, Sig etc. The second gun being a airweight or airlite j-frame revolver.

Learn to carry the full size pistol. It is easy once you learn how. I carry a full size 1911 and two spare mags every day. It is usually just under a t-shirt or other light covering garment.

What works for me is a kydex IWB holster with a 15 degree cant, a polymer wilderness belt, and kydex mag carriers.

The j-frame is for when you absolutely cannot carry the full size gun or when you want to back up your full size weapon in a pocket holster or ankle holster. The j-frame is a versital gun and there comes a time in most gun owners lives when they begin to appreciate the glory that is the j-frame revolver.

Most people would never think that someone around them is carrying a gun. People that open carry will tell you that most people don't even notice the gun when it is in the open. Avoid touching your gun to make sure it is still there. If you have a good holster it won't get up and walk away. The only time I would put your hand near the gun is when you get out of your car or get up from a chair just to make sure your cover garment hasn't rode up.

Happy carrying and congradulations on your CCW permit.

Why yes I did go to Lowes. Why do you ask? I was carrying a Colt Defender 1911. I thought of using mu "Judge" but realized that sitting would be really uncomfortable [laugh]

I just had to ask. It seems that most of us that carry for the first time seem to go to Lowes or Home Depot. It's pretty funny...

That's why I asked.. I'm sure that if you did a poll, you would get a high count for the ones that did. [smile]

I swear I thought everyone was staring at me, causing me to check it every 5 minutes. Probably just paranoid.

Yep.. that's the way it was. It's not a big deal anymore... on the other hand don't get too casual and forget it's there.... or the wrong move could expose it in public.

It gets easier. Try not to check it all the time, though. If it was there 5 minutes ago it will still be there 5 from now, you'll just give yourself away. Carry with a good holster and you'll be all set. I carry my G29 IWB SOB with a CTAC and it works perfectly. I can even carry without printing in tight t-shirts and jeans. When I first got my G22 it was a new novelty so I was wearing it out by carrying around both my G29 and my new G22 for a few days.

You will get used to it. Everyone isn't looking at you. The only time they look at you is when you keep reaching to your side to pull your shirt down (even though it isn't riding up). Don't worry...its gets better and then you almost forget sometimes that you have it on you. I practiced alot at home infront of a mirror. I would bend, stoop, reach, etc to see how it looked. I even do that when I try on certain clothes. You will also want to bring it with you when you go shopping for clothes that you will wear when carrying.

I was also a little nervous the first time I carried concealed (Kel-Tec P-11 in Blade Tech IWB holster). After a few days though, I felt perfectly comfortable with this rig and have carried a 1911 .45 and a Sig P-239 .357 Sig as well as the Kel-Tec.

While a gun savvy person or LEO might be able to tell you are carrying under certain conditions, the vast majority of sheeple will have no clue. You will get used to it and then packing a gun will be as routine as putting your pants on. Whatever you carry, just remember to always carry no matter how short the trip.

Remember the old saying, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". Welcome to CCW!

As long as the gun doesn't all the sudden make you braver,you're all set.
A wise man.
I can't remember my "first"... I'm ashamed.
I can't either. Well, not where I first carried concealed, anyway. Some things you never forget.
devilishangel.gif

I've been carrying for (checks calendar) 13 years now. I *STILL* think everyone's staring at me.

Just don't take the spare mag out when you're looking for change for the Salvation Army bell ringer. DAMHIK... [wink]

As long as the gun doesn't all the sudden make you braver,you're all set.

Excellent, excellent advice. I don't think we have to worry about Matt...

I can't remember my "first"... I'm ashamed.

Hell, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday... Let alone the first place I carried.

I *do* remember WHAT I carried, though - S&W model 36, in an OWB leather Pee Cee holster...

Back
Top Bottom